Man With Concealed Carry License Shot By Police During Traffic Stop

This news is not surprising! I am white and have been driving for 40 years. In those 40 years I have been pulled over four times: one for running a red light, failure to come to a complete stop, failure to yield the right of way and finally an expired tag(one day expired!). One friend of mine who is black and has been driving for almost 60 years has told me he has been pulled over more than 40 times! Another black friend who has been driving more than 40 years has been pulled over more than 30 times. The friend who has been pulled over more than 40 times has spent about half of his driving life in the South and the other half in California. He told me that he has only been pulled over in CA about 10 times in 30+ years but he was over 40 when he moved to CA. Both have told me that you don't know what blacks go through because we have never walked in their shoes and I tend to believe them. Hispanics also have a higher chance of being pulled over than whites do. It boils down to putting people in power who have preconceived beliefs and should never be given that kind of power, you are going to end up with situations like we have been having.

Yeah I pulled by the police Boston b/c 'quoted ' They didn't like the looks of us" Meaning they didn't like seeing a White woman with a Black man . The police told my b/f they'll stop us anytime they see us ! I had Black friend that was in LA and he sat down on the sidewalk curb for a moment and the police were all over him ! I wasn't allowed to use restroom at a gas station b/c I was with Black man ,he was friend of one of mine and asked to used the restroom and was refused then I did the same
was refused ! This was in Ca. One of my b/f was a POW during Korean war and he was given a little more food b/c he was Black.

I have a CWP (concealed weapon permit) and always carry. I'm deaf. When stopped by police for any reason (roadblock, fire in the area, accident ahead, etcetera), I keep my hands at the top of my steering and do NOT move them unless instructed to do so. I watch the officer's mouth until he or she walks away. I never volunteer information -- about being deaf, about concealed carry, about politics, etcetera.

If specifically asked about weapons, then and only then would I say yes and always ask permission to move my hands. Cops are like anyone else; they have guard themselves from crazy people of any color. I NEVER do anything overt to make them feel threatened.

If you don't know this stuff, you shouldn't carry concealed.

he was pulled over because he was profiled...
and swiftly murdered.

if he was pulled over for a wide set nose, then i'm the king of spain

I have a CWP (concealed weapon permit) and always carry. I'm deaf. When stopped by police for any reason (roadblock, fire in the area, accident ahead, etcetera), I keep my hands at the top of my steering and do NOT move them unless instructed to do so. I watch the officer's mouth until he or she walks away. I never volunteer information -- about being deaf, about concealed carry, about politics, etcetera.

If specifically asked about weapons, then and only then would I say yes and always ask permission to move my hands. Cops are like anyone else; they have guard themselves from crazy people of any color. I NEVER do anything overt to make them feel threatened.

If you don't know this stuff, you shouldn't carry concealed.

I don't know what state you live in but most states require you to notify officers if you are carrying a gun on you.

if you live in a state where you're not required to inform an officer and the officer found that you have a gun on you... well let's just say the situation is not gonna be pretty.

I don't know what state you live in but most states require you to notify officers if you are carrying a gun on you.

if you live in a state where you're not required to inform an officer and the officer found that you have a gun on you... well let's just say the situation is not gonna be pretty.

I think he lives in Oregon. :hmm:

Only 14 require it.

http://concealednation.org/2015/07/...led-we-look-at-all-50-states-for-the-answers/

Usually the officer will ask, "Do you have any weapons?" before patting down or searching the vehicle. At that time, you would reply, "Yes, and I have a conceal carry permit. My gun is in the console/ankle holster/glovebox/whatever." (Don't move until told to.)

That way, the officer doesn't "find" that you have a gun.

This news is not surprising! I am white and have been driving for 40 years. In those 40 years I have been pulled over four times: one for running a red light, failure to come to a complete stop, failure to yield the right of way and finally an expired tag(one day expired!). One friend of mine who is black and has been driving for almost 60 years has told me he has been pulled over more than 40 times! Another black friend who has been driving more than 40 years has been pulled over more than 30 times. The friend who has been pulled over more than 40 times has spent about half of his driving life in the South and the other half in California. He told me that he has only been pulled over in CA about 10 times in 30+ years but he was over 40 when he moved to CA. Both have told me that you don't know what blacks go through because we have never walked in their shoes and I tend to believe them. Hispanics also have a higher chance of being pulled over than whites do. It boils down to putting people in power who have preconceived beliefs and should never be given that kind of power, you are going to end up with situations like we have been having.

I know that racial profiling is big issue for decades after Jim Crow era ended so it didn't exposed until there is advance in technologies, such as smartphones to expose them.

All recruiters need to be screened out and require to pass the diversity training.

The guy lived in a state that he wasn't required to tell the police he had a gun "Minnesota – No Known Duty To Inform" taken from Reba's link
the driver told the police he had a gun and it ended very ugly for him. I don't own a gun but I think this law put gun owners at risk of being
killed for no reason and only for saying they have a gun.

The guy lived in a state that he wasn't required to tell the police he had a gun "Minnesota – No Known Duty To Inform" taken from Reba's link
the driver told the police he had a gun and it ended very ugly for him. I don't own a gun but I think this law put gun owners at risk of being
killed for no reason and only for saying they have a gun.

If he not tell them he have a gun then he will be dead too.

If he not tell them he have a gun then he will be dead too.
I doubt that , if the driver was planning on using his gun I don't think he would said he had a gun , he would had just had try to shoot the police .

I doubt that , if the driver was planning on using his gun I don't think he would said he had a gun , he would had just had try to shoot the police .

Unfortunately though there probably HAVE been incidents where the person had a gun... and incidents where he didn't have a gun where the police still shot at them. Doesn't seem to matter whether the person says "I have a gun and a permit etc"... what seems to happen is the police reacting the second the person reaches for his wallet (when the police were the ones to tell him to show ID). Problem is either person doesn't know to or is in such an anxious state in telling the officer "OK I am reaching for my wallet...here I go". Last time I was stopped I already had that stuff out to give to them. I'm sure I wouldn't be in a very clear state of mind with a cop yelling so many different things at me and a gun drawn.

Unfortunately though there probably HAVE been incidents where the person had a gun... and incidents where he didn't have a gun where the police still shot at them. Doesn't seem to matter whether the person says "I have a gun and a permit etc"... what seems to happen is the police reacting the second the person reaches for his wallet (when the police were the ones to tell him to show ID). Problem is either person doesn't know to or is in such an anxious state in telling the officer "OK I am reaching for my wallet...here I go". Last time I was stopped I already had that stuff out to give to them. I'm sure I wouldn't be in a very clear state of mind with a cop yelling so many different things at me and a gun drawn.

:gpost:

No matter if she put us on her ignore list. ;)

Just a suggestion....why not those who CCW be required to have a decal on their windshields so the Police can see it and approach with caution?...and if they are riding in a vehicle with someone who does not CCW, then they are also required to put a decal on the passenger side so the Police can see it....even the back seat(s)...Perhaps not a good suggestion, but something needs to be done.
And feel the Police at every time there is a traffic stop, to require the driver/passenger(s) to exit the vehicle first before asking for their ID....Hands on their heads. Sounds extreme but would a Life be saved beforehand?

Just a suggestion....why not those who CCW be required to have a decal on their windshields so the Police can see it and approach with caution?...and if they are riding in a vehicle with someone who does not CCW, then they are also required to put a decal on the passenger side so the Police can see it....even the back seat(s)...Perhaps not a good suggestion, but something needs to be done.
And feel the Police at every time there is a traffic stop, to require the driver/passenger(s) to exit the vehicle first before asking for their ID....Hands on their heads. Sounds extreme but would a Life be saved beforehand?

Good Idea for the owner of the car if he/she or a family member has a CCW. However, how do you do it if the person is a passenger in someone's car? Have them carry around a stack of decals and tell the person "hey, I have to put this decal on your car if I'm going to ride in it." Perhaps a placard that they hang over the rear view mirror would be better.

Only fourteen states require you to notify a police officer before being asked to do so. http://concealednation.org/2015/07/...led-we-look-at-all-50-states-for-the-answers/

I think that a bad idea having a decal on your windshield saying you have a concealed carry license , then other people will know you have a gun too and it wouldn't really be a concealed gun anymore .

Here in Illinois, your CCL is tied to your DL and DL tied to your vehicle plate. Some law agencies here in IL have the capability to punch in your plate number and see what pops up, warrants? felony? CCL? and so on. IL has no DTI, unless asked.

Back