Mainstream or Residental Provincial School

Ryancher, I think you are doing the right thing by considering more than just the school, but everything that makes up your child's learning experience -- from classrooms to travel time away from home to your extended family's understanding of his situation. Every one of us faces a different situation. I realized after posting that I likely came across as evangelizing a bi-bi school no matter what the cost (in terms of distance, family, home, etc.). But I don't mean to - I just mean to show that some of the things that may seem like insurmountable obstacles (a crazy commute, tuition costs) can recede as time goes by. You may find an absolutely amazing local program because of one wonderful teacher right down the street. It may be an oral program, a bi-bi program, or a mainstream program. None of these labels matter, what matters is the very specific environment you provide for your little one and how he responds. Don't close your mind to something just because you might read here that the only good solution is some combination of ASL, residential program, etc.. What works for my child or someone else doesn't mean that's what will work for your child and your family.

I'm sure you'll find a wonderful approach and I really look forward to reading what you discover.

residential school would work best for a kid that young. they will have more intensive training. most young kids up to a certain age will benefit from residential until they pick up the life skills they will need to go mainstream. early intervention goes a long way. mainstream would not be as effective

We do have IEP's here for sure not sure if he'd have one yet because of his age? As soon as I was dx with a hearing loss there was an IEP made and fm system provided for me etc
here is what I found ryancher hope maybe that can be an option not sure how far from toronto you are exactly
The Bob Rumball Centre for the Deaf - Early Years Programs

In the states, an IEP is formulated when the child enters the public school system. For deaf children, that is usually pre-school, following their EI program. I have always thought that Canada operates much the same. I could be wrong, though, as I have no experience in advocating for kids in Canada.

In the states, an IEP is formulated when the child enters the public school system. For deaf children, that is usually pre-school, following their EI program. I have always thought that Canada operates much the same. I could be wrong, though, as I have no experience in advocating for kids in Canada.

We do have it. Except we called it "IPP" or "IEP," depending on who one talk to.

We do have it. Except we called it "IPP" or "IEP," depending on who one talk to.

Thank you.:ty: I learned something today. Does it become effective at the time the child enters the public school system (e.g. kindergarten?)

Jillio- I believe you're right about the IEP starting when they start any type of edu including pre k and Banjo you are right as well it is IEP (Individualized or Individual Education Plan)

Thank you.:ty: I learned something today. Does it become effective at the time the child enters the public school system (e.g. kindergarten?)

Far as I remember, yes. I had one implemented well before kindergarten and had one, revised more times than you could count, until age 19.

IEP is in standing until the child graduates high school. When entering post secondary education establishments it's up to the student to then advocate for themselves and go to a disability centre if there is one or set up an arrangement with whomever runs the school (if there is no disability support)

IEP is in standing until the child graduates high school. When entering post secondary education establishments it's up to the student to then advocate for themselves and go to a disability centre if there is one or set up an arrangement with whomever runs the school (if there is no disability support)

Yep. Sounds like the process is the same in both the States and Canada. Thanks to all you Canadians for confirming for me!:ty:

Exactly... that's a long bus ride for a 4 year old by themselves. Not to mention I will serious worry about him being without me in Toronto.

Not to mention... I really don't think they provide buses out here for transport.

And my husband will NEVER EVER move to Toronto... I'd have more luck with Milton or Belleville... but then that would mean changing jobs.

Why don't you contact a few friends of mine who are administrators, at EC Drury School for the Deaf about your concerns about transportation? I am sure that they will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Obviously Belleville is out of question in your situation.

Have you checked in with Metro Toronto School for the Deaf yet?

When I was about 4, I had to travel an hour and more to attend an preschool for the deaf. They offered to enrol me into dormitory but my mother refused.

Anyway, I remember there's a rivalry between Milton and Danville or Danforth. From what I gather the Toronto school isn't the best.

Are you near Robarts School for the Deaf?

I think Milton has a great program starting from early intervention to adult education. I attended there for a year.

Danforth Technical School - I think it is a high school level. I can check with my friends who graduated from this school.

Why don't you contact a few friends of mine who are administrators, at EC Drury School for the Deaf about your concerns about transportation? I am sure that they will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Obviously Belleville is out of question in your situation.

That would be helpful... thank you. My email is ryancher at rogers dot com.

ryan, where exactly in ontario are you? i know you said about 1-1 1/2 hrs outside of Toronto.. in which direction? Mind telling us the city/town?
Toronto really does have some good programs, and since many kids sleep on the bus, its just like a nap so they get home rested and you can spend more time with them.
Just a thought of how to look at it! ;)
*EQL*

I know I said that I'm more pro res school when the kid is older. BUT, I was looking at the website of Summerhill...remember how famous that book was? (for the people who don't know, it was one of the first "free"/"unschooling/self directed learning schools) The school is still around. In the FAQs, one of the questions is " Doesn't boarding rob kids of their childhood?" The answer was " Childhood is for the kids" I think a res school could give kids a pretty cool experiance, and a vibrant healthy childhood. Family is awesome.....and I mean nowadays virtually ALL res kids go home on the weekends. This is very different from the old days when kids would hardly go home.
I do think res school might be a viable option for little kids, if there were other little kids around. You can always visit and he would always be coming home. Heck, maybe you could stay in a hotel room near the school....I have heard of parents doing that. It is VERY common for parents to move to better schools for their kids with disabilties.

I don't think moving is an option for ryancher because of work and I do think her son is a bit young for that...IMHO 3 year olds are still quite attached to mommy and vice versa

I don't think moving is an option for ryancher because of work and I do think her son is a bit young for that...IMHO 3 year olds are still quite attached to mommy and vice versa

Not only are they attached, an institutional environment is not conducive to their emotional development at that age.

Just throwing out some thoughts there re: residental ed. One of the best things about the mainstream movement is that it created dhh programs at hearing schools so that preschoolers wouldn't have to go off to live at school. I wonder if there's anything like that out there.......I would contact the Candian Association for the Deaf.....surely ryancher can't be the only parent of a dhh kid looking for educational help. Maybe too the schools for the Deaf can point you towards any hearing or local schools that might be able to help you.
I completely agree most little kids shouldn't go off to live at school unless there's extenuating circumstances. (and I think Summerhill population was talking about seven year olds and up which is a lot different from little kids) Besides, most preschoolers tend to only do preschool part time.

Back