Mainstream education question

That's actually how education of deaf kids should work.....Deaf school/program early on, to create a good solid base.....Also mainstreaming if/when appropreate......That rocks that you didn't have issues with English.....Maybe you didn't b/c again you had that good solid base of Deaf ed....Quick question....do you think that the HIU placement really helped you,even thou you were very oral?

Well I was only in the HIU for 2 hours a week, working on vocab, using the time to work on coursework or mainly word games(bit like countdown)

But the CSW's from the HIU helped a LOT, full sign language support was written into my IEP even though I was oral!

Also what kind of deaf kids are we referring to. Born deaf, postlingually deaf, etc. Some kids who go deaf or have progressive loss later in childhood or after they have acquired a significant language base may not need deaf-focused programs/school or the typical interventions and accommodations that we commonly see ie CART, etc, even early on. Again, it all depends on the level of language acquisition. Some will. Ther e has never been, and will never be, a one size fits all style education solution for all deaf children.

In my own experience, I went deaf when I was almost 3 for whatever reason it was. However I had acquired significant language skills before that occurred, most likely having been born hearing, and I was actually early and way ahead of my peers at age 2 in speech and language development. I can say from my own personal experience that I would have been absolutely bored to tears in specialized deaf education settings as a young child. Conversely in my student teaching practice, I have seen kids with mild/moderate losses at the same age have very limited language development and they thrived in the specialized total communication program that they were in. So in essence it completely depends on the child and where he/she is at in language development.

Well I was only in the HIU for 2 hours a week, working on vocab, using the time to work on coursework or mainly word games(bit like countdown)

But the CSW's from the HIU helped a LOT, full sign language support was written into my IEP even though I was oral!

I wonder if a strong nudge towards a HIU/ formal dhh program like what you experianced might help something like 95% of dhh strong academic kids.....like there's a significent percentage who while they're OK academicly might still significently benifit from dhh specific programming, even if they don't need the intensity of a deaf school or dhh classes.......

Also what kind of deaf kids are we referring to. Born deaf, postlingually deaf, etc. Some kids who go deaf or have progressive loss later in childhood or after they have acquired a significant language base may not need deaf-focused programs/school or the typical interventions and accommodations that we commonly see ie CART, etc, even early on. Again, it all depends on the level of language acquisition. Some will. Ther e has never been, and will never be, a one size fits all style education solution for all deaf children.

In my own experience, I went deaf when I was almost 3 for whatever reason it was. However I had acquired significant language skills before that occurred, most likely having been born hearing, and I was actually early and way ahead of my peers at age 2 in speech and language development. I can say from my own personal experience that I would have been absolutely bored to tears in specialized deaf education settings as a young child. Conversely in my student teaching practice, I have seen kids with mild/moderate losses at the same age have very limited language development and they thrived in the specialized total communication program that they were in. So in essence it completely depends on the child and where he/she is at in language development.
Only about five percent of dhh kids are postlingally dhh........Yes there's not anything that will 100% cover ALL dhh kids education-wise........There will always be a few kids who would THRIVE in an inclusive setting with minimal accomondations......but at the same time......And you're also assumming that deaf ed automaticly= kids who are significently behind...Why can't deaf ed be simply specificly DESIGNED for dhh kids? ie the SAME stuff is taught as in the public schools but it's taught via ASL, and by a well educated TOD...Also things like Cued Speech and HOH style stuff (speech and auditory training) is ALSO included.......

Only about five percent of dhh kids are postlingally dhh........Yes there's not anything that will 100% cover ALL dhh kids education-wise........There will always be a few kids who would THRIVE in an inclusive setting with minimal accomondations......but at the same time......And you're also assumming that deaf ed automaticly= kids who are significently behind...Why can't deaf ed be simply specificly DESIGNED for dhh kids? ie the SAME stuff is taught as in the public schools but it's taught via ASL, and by a well educated TOD...Also things like Cued Speech and HOH style stuff (speech and auditory training) is ALSO included.......

No deaf ed does not automatically equal kids that are significantly behind but when we are talking about early childhood education or early intervention programs, you are getting a lot of kids, if not all who are referred, who are behind in some areas of development. That is the entire point of early intervention, or as I rather call it, early involvement, to create a specialized environment with specialized instruction to catch those kids up in whatever areas they are behind
in.

It would be awesome if there was a school that had ASL bi-bi classes, total communication classes, oral classes, and a more mixed "mainstream" option all under one roof.

No deaf ed does not automatically equal kids that are significantly behind but when we are talking about early childhood education or early intervention programs, you are getting a lot of kids, if not all who are referred, who are behind in some areas of development. That is the entire point of early intervention, or as I rather call it, early involvement, to create a specialized environment with specialized instruction to catch those kids up in whatever areas they are behind
in.

It would be awesome if there was a school that had ASL bi-bi classes, total communication classes, oral classes, and a more mixed "mainstream" option all under one roof.

You're assuming that dhh kids are automaticly behind....Some are.....but there are also many kids who are on par but still require stuff like ASL instruction or other stuff..........You're making dhh kids sound like they're mentally disabled
Also, why do we need oral only? What we need is a COMPREHENSIVE approach.......content taught in ASL....good speech support (many programs already have pretty good HOH/oral deaf support) and Cued speech, to cover ALL the bases.......Why can't deaf ed do EVERYTHING? Why does oralism have to be exclusive?

Has the original poster clarified whether her son is Deaf or HH? I imagine we could give better advice and suggestions if we knew.

Reading this thread has me wondering quite a lot about my past. I was always in mainstream classes. In elementary school, I had teachers with a mic and a device around my neck to allow me to hear better and my grades were mostly B's and C's. Looking at my old report cards, they said that I was fidgety and sometimes didn't pay attention. I had hearing impaired classes every day and speech therapy, as well.

In middle school, once again I had HI classes and speech therapy every day, but all my other classes were mainstream. I actually managed to make A's and B's this time around, but it was a brand-new school, all the teachers were young and excited, equipments were brand-new, etc. I thought that had a lot to do with it. It was around this time that I discovered that the other kids weren't in mainstream classes and that most of their reading levels were behind their current ages. I was so confused and didn't understand why that was.

In high school, 9th grade, I had a HI teacher I saw at the library each day who worked with me individually because the school didn't have HI classes. That was mostly B's and C's with some D's because I was put in some Honors classes due to my middle school performance and they turned out to be a little difficult for me.

In 10th and 11th grade, my dad and I moved and the school I went to had daily HI classes. I should mention that all through high school I did not get speech therapy. Not sure why. My dad was going through some personal problems with drinking and running his own business and took his frustrations out on me, and I was confused and stressed enough with school that I didn't need his own BS. I ran away 3 times and eventually dropped out in 11th grade (got my GED later, though.)

All the HI classes that I took throughout my school years, I don't know how it was supposed to help. I did get to socialize and become good friends with other HH and Deaf kids. I was never taught ASL. Most of the time in those classes it was either games or doing homework or catching up on studies. I don't remember any specific HH lessons or help along those areas. The best thing to happen from a HI teacher was the one who worked with me individually in 9th grade as she had told me about SSI, which allowed me to earn a monthly income to help out with my needs. I still receive SSI to this day.

Reading all of the above has me wondering if I really missed out on a lot of help or my parents did the right thing by having me go through school and mainstream classes.

Has the original poster clarified whether her son is Deaf or HH? I imagine we could give better advice and suggestions if we knew.

Reading this thread has me wondering quite a lot about my past. I was always in mainstream classes. In elementary school, I had teachers with a mic and a device around my neck to allow me to hear better and my grades were mostly B's and C's. Looking at my old report cards, they said that I was fidgety and sometimes didn't pay attention. I had hearing impaired classes every day and speech therapy, as well.

In middle school, once again I had HI classes and speech therapy every day, but all my other classes were mainstream. I actually managed to make A's and B's this time around, but it was a brand-new school, all the teachers were young and excited, equipments were brand-new, etc. I thought that had a lot to do with it. It was around this time that I discovered that the other kids weren't in mainstream classes and that most of their reading levels were behind their current ages. I was so confused and didn't understand why that was.

In high school, 9th grade, I had a HI teacher I saw at the library each day who worked with me individually because the school didn't have HI classes. That was mostly B's and C's with some D's because I was put in some Honors classes due to my middle school performance and they turned out to be a little difficult for me.

In 10th and 11th grade, my dad and I moved and the school I went to had daily HI classes. I should mention that all through high school I did not get speech therapy. Not sure why. My dad was going through some personal problems with drinking and running his own business and took his frustrations out on me, and I was confused and stressed enough with school that I didn't need his own BS. I ran away 3 times and eventually dropped out in 11th grade (got my GED later, though.)

All the HI classes that I took throughout my school years, I don't know how it was supposed to help. I did get to socialize and become good friends with other HH and Deaf kids. I was never taught ASL. Most of the time in those classes it was either games or doing homework or catching up on studies. I don't remember any specific HH lessons or help along those areas. The best thing to happen from a HI teacher was the one who worked with me individually in 9th grade as she had told me about SSI, which allowed me to earn a monthly income to help out with my needs. I still receive SSI to this day.

Reading all of the above has me wondering if I really missed out on a lot of help or my parents did the right thing by having me go through school and mainstream classes.[/QUOTE

For me, I got the answer to whether I missed out a lot or not was when I learned ASL at 25 years old and going to Gallaudet University at 28 years old. I was able to compare and oh yes, I missed out on slot big time by being oral-Only and mainstreamed. That's one of the reason, among others why I am against it for all deaf/hh kids.

For me, I got the answer to whether I missed out a lot or not was when I learned ASL at 25 years old and going to Gallaudet University at 28 years old. I was able to compare and oh yes, I missed out on slot big time by being oral-Only and mainstreamed. That's one of the reason, among others why I am against it for all deaf/hh kids.

I'm glad to hear your perspective, as that answers some of my questions. I've only heard of Gallaudet U the other day when I visited these forums. I'm not sure if I'm against mainstreaming or not, but I do believe that it should be up to professionals who know a lot about it and that it should be reviewed on an individual by individual basis, and not leave all the decisions entirely up to the family. My family tried their best, but like most people, they were flying blind and had no idea what to do other than put me in HI classes.

I'm glad to hear your perspective, as that answers some of my questions. I've only heard of Gallaudet U the other day when I visited these forums. I'm not sure if I'm against mainstreaming or not, but I do believe that it should be up to professionals who know a lot about it and that it should be reviewed on an individual by individual basis, and not leave all the decisions entirely up to the family. My family tried their best, but like most people, they were flying blind and had no idea what to do other than put me in HI classes.

Too often the professionals are the doctors and audiologists and they really don't know what it is like to be deaf and think LRE is mainstreaming the kids but when it really does defeats the purpose of LRE.

You're assuming that dhh kids are automaticly behind....Some are.....but there are also many kids who are on par but still require stuff like ASL instruction or other stuff..........You're making dhh kids sound like they're mentally disabled
Also, why do we need oral only? What we need is a COMPREHENSIVE approach.......content taught in ASL....good speech support (many programs already have pretty good HOH/oral deaf support) and Cued speech, to cover ALL the bases.......Why can't deaf ed do EVERYTHING? Why does oralism have to be exclusive?

When considering whether someone is "behind" you have to be specific about which developmental area you're referring to.

I'm not sure how EI makes deaf/hh kids sound like they are mentally disabled. They're not. It's a good bet that a good chunk of deaf/hh kids are initially behind in speech and language development. This is not exclusive to oral speech, but language as a whole. You stated that most deaf kids are pre lingual. Also most deaf/hh kids are born into hearing families. Even with newborn hearing screenings, they still miss those early opportunities of language development assuming the language in the home in spoken English. Parents find hearing aids to be of little help in how the kid is developing, they get cochlear implants, and they get switched on but it doesn't make it all magic. They never had overhearing listening experience that hearing kids did. They have to be caught up in that department for the most part to be on par with their peers. Sure their parents can sign with them in the home as well, but most of those parents probably are not fluent in ASL, so without fluency I don't consider it language development. The deaf kids who get involved in an EI program at a deaf school will get those language skills much earlier on. But that may not be the choice of many parents, especially given the fact that most of those parents are hearing parents and want their kid to talk.

EI programs do not exist solely for those who have intellectual disabilities. Some deaf kids may also be delayed in motor skills, others will not be. Same goes for cognitive skills, etc.

Hi. My son is 5 and starting Kindergaten this year. He was in a blended VPK class last year with an ASL interpreter. He will be mainstreamed with a visiting DHH teacher 2-3 times a week and a full time interpreter. I'm trying to give him a head start with sight words and phonics. I'm looking for any tips/tricks, websites... anything that you think might aid him in learning. Thanks so much!!

Having him learn Total Communication is BEST: ASL in his early educational years, English Sign by the 8th grade, Lipreading. Im a mom of a child who went thru this. Now at Rochester Institute of Tech/ National Tech Institute for the Deaf , doing very well academically and socially.

Back