Magazine for the Deaf

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
What magazines for the Deaf are popular these days, whether it's news-related or entertainment-related.

What kind of deaf-related magazine would you like to see/read? What special sections would you like included in a magazine? In other words, if you were to create your own magazine, what will it be about?

Share your ideas!

I rarely to read some Deaf magazines and newspapers. I would like to see a magazine for deaf people, not all about deaf people like this forum. we don't have to focus about our deafness all the time. You know?

would like to see three things,

creative writing by the deaf, ( in a mag)
computer related things BY the deaf poeple who share thier experince and not have a debate on something in that relations.
and last but not the last
Deaf artist promoting thier creavity

thats what i would like to see :)

GREAT thread! I am majoring in Commuications (concentration in Print Journalism) and am thinking of maybe going into magazines when I get out of school (if I don't go to grad school)
First of all, my target market would be culturally Deaf people....yes I know hearing impaired people are a more lucrative market but there's only so many articles that you can do on the newest hearing aids, CIs and ALDs.
I read Volta Voices occasionally (library at school has it) and it is so beyond boring! It's just the same old shit that you can find at your audi's office.
I think I'd make it a cross between a Culturally Deaf magazine and a Disabilty Magazine. There'd be articles on happenings, and role models and cultral stuff, but there'd also be articles on things like ALD, (assistive Listening Devices) hearing aids, and CIs and improvements in the field. I'd target relatively young people (this wouldn't be a magazine for old people who just want UGLY ITEs)
so the content would be hip and well-written.
I'd have a teens section and a kid's section as well as a parents section,(for outreach and support. I really do think that the deaf-culture needs to work on outreach and support to parents) but it would be mostly for people with hearing loss.
Mayby a fashion section where people send in pics of themselves with decals on their CIs or fancy hearing aids..... or latest delvelopments in cool hearing aids.....like the glow-in-the-dark earmolds or the colored tubing or the Oticon aids...
I'd accept freelance articles, I'd try to accept hip advertsiting. Look at the ads in Volta Voices....even the ads for kids aids are UBER preppy!
I think a debate section would be neat, and creative writing sections and things like that.

i used to read deaf life

it was somewhat good.

i especially liked their polls at the last page.

it died.

Originally posted by wickedeyed
i used to read deaf life

it was somewhat good.

i especially liked their polls at the last page.

it died.

I am interest to work for Deaf Life and hope to change new look. Is Deaf Life alive?

Hello.

The publisher, Matthew Moore, plans to resurrect Deaf Life. He remarked about this on his website.

Silent News, DeafNation, NewsWaves, etc. all fell by the wayside, as far as I know. I'll be happily wrong if any of these magazines are still publishing and are still going strong.

Enjoy.

Back