MAC first to be hacked into in a contest

umm, Mac can be hack but nobody care about Mac while Windows are biggest target in business.

Most OS can be hacked, Mac OS isn't alone.

I prefer to use Mac OS X for entire of apps, except for games since Mac is more immune to viruses and trojan horse than Windows does.

Microsoft Windows need to be the most secure of all as it is the most used OS around. Mac OS X itself is used by millions of people and is in the minority. However, OS X has been around since 2000 in the form of a public beta.

Now it's 2008. There is still not a single file-infecting virus. There are a few worms, malwares and such. Though they are not highly dangerous to the Mac computers. It's more like an one-trick pony just to show that it can be done. Ta-da! So yes, I would say I am satisfied. I do a routine check on my computer once in a while to make sure everything is fine and secure.

Still, never say never.

However, Windows is a different story. It is still the most targeted OS to this day so you are at a much higher risk.

So, the odds of a OS X getting infected with a real file-infecting virus is far less than Windows.

So you Mac guys think your mac is better because it can't be hacked into? Well, there was a contest to see which OS could be hacked into first, Windows Vista, Linux and Mac OSX. Turns out the MAC was the easiest (first) to hack into.

Gone in 2 minutes: Mac gets hacked first in contest | InfoWorld | News | 2008-03-27 | By Robert McMillan, IDG News Service
obviously didn't read the article entirely....

Nobody was able to hack into the systems on the first day of the contest when contestants were only allowed to attack the computers over the network, but on Thursday the rules were relaxed so that attackers could direct contest organizers using the computers to do things like visit Web sites or open e-mail messages.

The MacBook was the only system to be hacked by Thursday, however, the word on the show floor is that the Linux and Vista systems will meet with some serious challenges on Friday.

Miller, a former National Security Agency employee best known as one of the researchers who first hacked Apple's iPhone last year, didn't take much time. Within 2 minutes, he directed the contest's organizers to visit a Web site that contained his exploit code, which then allowed him to seize control of the computer, as about 20 onlookers cheered him on.

Apple will patch it ASAP anyway thanks to the contest! Apple is in serious business to keep it secure as ASAP they can. As for MS, eh... you know the story with MS.
By late Thursday, Apple engineers were already working on patching the issue, said Aaron Portnoy, a TippingPoint researcher who is one of the contest's judges.

as for Linux and Windows systems
She expects both systems to be hacked on Friday, when contest rules will be further eased, and hackers will be able to attack popular third-party software that can be installed on the systems. "I don't think we'll have to take any home," she said.

Banjo and Boult, both of you made great post. :gp:

Authentic, what's your point about upgrade on Mac? Every hardware upgrade are occur in 6 month or more, just depends on model and serucity update is occur on random time to control the hacker, worm, viruses or other serucity issues.

I picked MacBook Pro over all laptop model from Alienware because its more worth and can run 2 OS on MacBook Pro without need additional new laptop, even I would prefer to get Mac Pro over desktop PC from Alienware too.

Heh! You're wrong. According to this article, Mac does not patch as fast as Microsoft.

Who Patches Bugs Faster, Apple or Microsoft? - Yahoo! News
the article says apple had fewer vunlerabilites when they started doing the security updates years ago than MS

And near the end of the article it says it seems to be a affirmation of MS and probably the research is funded by MS eh

anyway here's are the list for this year of security updates and there is links for previous years
Apple security updates

for MS's security updates
Latest Computer Security Updates: Summary - Microsoft Security

That's end of my contribution to this thread.. you are looking for pc vs mac war that's all.. ciao!

and my last word is Apple Mac OS X ROCKS!

All computers are hackable no matter which OS they are based on.

Back