Mac Box that said "Intel inside"

DeafCruise

Reaction score
I heard that Mac will have Intel chip by 2006 and full deploy by end of 2007. I wondering what it will improve over PPC chipset?

What's your thought? Good thing is that I have not make major purchase on Mac machine yet..

The main reason why Apple decided to use intel processors is because that the relationship between IBM and Apple was not good. IBM was late by abbout a year delivering a 3 GHz G5, delayed shipping and had production issues, also busy worrying too much about making processors for the console market, Playstation 3, Xbox 360. They use powerpc processor (custom type) Apple has been running OS X on a intel processor on a custom built Mac running for 5 years now in testing stages. It will not run on a regular PC with a intel processor, because OS X is coded to work on the Mac BIOS (firmware). OS X for intel, will run PPC based programs with a special runtime application. Apple will not dump PPC that soon, they will continue to support PPC after they complete the transition on the new line up by 2007. I hope that answers ur questions. :)

Looks like Bill Gate is laughing at Steve Job! This move isn't going to make me think about buying MACinTrAsH.

diehardbiker65 said:
Looks like Bill Gate is laughing at Steve Job! This move isn't going to make me think about buying MACinTrAsH.

How come Bill didn't fix the holes for years? It is much worst than Macintosh. Don't you realize that IBM is a risk for virus? Mac OS X has a few holes which isn't that bad. For Mac OS 9 and under is risk... Most Mac users always upgrade their system.

webexplorer said:
How come Bill didn't fix the holes for years? It is much worst than Macintosh. Don't you realize that IBM is a risk for virus? Mac OS X has a few holes which isn't that bad. For Mac OS 9 and under is risk... Most Mac users always upgrade their system.

I agree with you there! Windows has LOT of patches and viruses to deal with.
There are so many holes in it. Apple has 500 developers working on Mac OS X in general.

It is all about the numbers. Since MAC is so small, less than 10% of the world have MAC, why would hacker and virus writer bother with small crowd of computer? IBM with Bill Gates software is the LARGEST in the world, thus making it exciting for hackers and virus writers to do something BIG. So, back to my point. It is just numbers. Same goes to unix based computer, they are too small, thus hacker and virus writers don't bother them.

webexplorer said:

Fall 2005 has not arrive yet. So hush and be patience. They WILL be here, trust me. BTW, correction, I found out that once they are done with beta Phase, they will have backward compatible with 32 bits platform. It will still perform better with 64 bit platform anyway.

Banjo said:
and where the heck is Longhorn? ;-)

Many people using Windows doesn't mean it's good. I don't care about that, I love my Mac running OS X and I'm happy with it. The stats are always wrong, no one KNOWS how many people use macs that are old and even used ones, so you never know how many are out there, the marketshare are based on NEW computers currently sold, not what total user base around the world. I'm pretty sure it's more than what you think.

Last edited:
diehardbiker65 said:
Fall 2005 has not arrive yet. So hush and be patience. They WILL be here, trust me. BTW, correction, I found out that once they are done with beta Phase, they will have backward compatible with 32 bits platform. It will still perform better with 64 bit platform anyway.
I don't like Longhorn and I will not buy it. It is hardwired OS so therefore it sucks.

XP is here to stay. But if XP service is at end and there are no programs that can support XP then my 'loyalty' will change to Mac. I no longer am a programmer (I used to be) so I couldn't care less about Windows (or Longhorn).

diehardbiker65 said:

Actually, it was recently delayed for the 402,401th time... to late 2006. They also had mentioned that the server version won't be released till 2007. Betas already released don't count, including the one coming out this fall.

The first version of OS X was released to the public in 2001, and the next 4 upgrades were all made and released within 4 years.

Cheetah (10.0)
Puma (10.1)
Jaguar (10.2)
Panther (10.3)
Tiger (10.4)
Leopard (10.5) - scheduled for late 2006 to early 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

As of now, it's believed that Longhorn is scheduled to be released to the public in December of 2006. That's around a year and half away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Longhorn

Back