Lunch Money

HeartGirl

Reaction score
All schools should provide kids free food for lunch and breakfast.
Because sometimes children don't have or forgot their lunch money.
All the taxpayers' money go in the teachers' pockets?

I don't think all schools should provide free meals for the children. Free meals at school should be for children who have low income families, which has to be approve by the school in order to get free meals for your children. If they forgot their lunch money, Yes they will provide free meal for one day but, then the parents have to pay back.

I don't think that's fair for upper class families to get free meals when they can afford to buy or pack lunches. Low income families can't afford pack lunches or buy lunches, so they should have the right to received free meals for the children. :)

For Low Income.. School can provide snack and drinks.. Some of Staff knew young children who poverty family.. They are still giving them foods bank.

Back in my old school junior and senoir school didnt pay for it just giving the kids to eat at lunch and supper whoever live in residence. When I was in school from 1982 till 1996 that I eat with no pay till I graduated 1996 then back to school again for upgrading like a college but not college only in day students have to bring their own food from home if want eat at school then pay for it. Residence student at lunch dont have to pay for it cause reisence students staying for the week from monday to thur .. friday to sunday home weekend. i know it si sound not fair with day students pay for the lunch or bring own food from home. Now i think in my old school have to pay for it at lunch from residence and day students I have no idea cause i wasnt in school anymore :)

In 1997 start pay the lunch at school .. expect the junior school from grade K to grade 8 no pay but i am not sure if they bring their own food I dunno cause I am not in school anymore :)

What about those bullies who take money from kids? And what about roaches in the lockers, they
look for food... because kids kept their lunchboxes or bag of lunch in
the lockers.

HeartGirl said:
What about those bullies who take money from kids? And what about roaches in the lockers, they
look for food... because kids kept their lunchboxes or bag of lunch in
the lockers.

That is something that needs to be brought up to the Principal or the Board Of Education. ;)

HeartGirl said:
What about those bullies who take money from kids?
Some schools use a ticket system or scan card instead of cash for school lunches. The parents pay the office directly, monthly, so the kids never handle the money.

HeartGirl said:
All schools should provide kids free food for lunch and breakfast...
No way! Taxpayers have enough burden.

Well... Perhaps a good idea would be for school to have special 50% -70% rebate for low income families.
parents could show their income tax and pre-pay for a month or so and this way there is no money lost or stolen or bullied away..
I do feel very sorry for those kids that go hungry. I would spare a buck or two fo their dinner.

Fuzzy

We are already paying for their education. That's good enough.

My school did have a special program for parents. Parents pay a specific amount of money to the school and the school provides the child with a special pass to be used for a plate lunch. That way, the child doesn't have to carry cash all the time.

Audiofuzzy said:
I do feel very sorry for those kids that go hungry. I would spare a buck or two fo their dinner.

Fuzzy

Kids will never go hungry at school. They will provide them lunch if their money was stolen or lost. ;)

Cheri said:
Kids will never go hungry at school. They will provide them lunch if their money was stolen or lost. ;)

My son didn't eat lunch at school once last year, when I found out he lost his lunch money once on the bus ... When I first heard about him not having any lunch that day and I did asked him if he told his teacher he lost his lunch money, he said he only told a staff at lunch , so I called the school to find out why my son didn't eat lunch or why the staff didn't offer him a free lunch ( like a note saying how much he borrowed etc, then I will pay them back the next day, which I've done that b4 when my oldest son was in kindergarden )...No one knew why the staff didn't offer him free lunch, so the principal told me it would not happen again, and she'll make sure they were aware if any children forget or lost their lunch money, to offer them a " free " lunch....

school provides the child with a special pass to be used for a plate lunch.

Not where I live, only the high school provides students with special passes for lunch.....

Tax money or not...no child should go hungry for any reason.....as a Teacher in a private school, I have many times covered kids who were just a little short on money or were still hungry after eating lunch.

Public schools already provide reduced cost or free lunches to qualified children.

At our private school, kids who lose or forget their lunch can get a "no-frills" lunch at the kitchen, which the parents are expected to pay back as soon as possible. That means they get a nutritious lunch but nothing fancy with no extras. Usually a sandwich, fruit, and milk.

When I used to sub terp at public schools, I was shocked to see how many free lunches were dumped into the garbage every day by the students. Their attitude was, "hey, it didn't cost me anything, so if I don't like it, I can toss it."

wow interesting... I never heard in my life that there're free school lunch for the children due parent's low incomes.

May I say something open? I'm disagree to this... I rather to see money from taxpayers go to homeless people for supportive than free school lunch.

Why?

Sure, you goes to supermarkets and buy loaf bread, rolls, sliced sausages, cheeses, etc. Did you know how much cost for 4 rolls or loaf bread cost?

Price estimate:
You can pick 2 piece of breads with butter to make sandwiches - cost 0.10 cents
one piece of ham - cost 0.15 cents
snack bar - 0.50 cents
into tupperware box
and fill juices, lemon/orangeade, etc from bottle into tupperware cup with lid -cost 0.20 cents.

Total to $0.95 cents a per day - if more than just that list then to $1.25 a day. Low incomes parents can acheive those costs. Buy anything from supermarket are cheap... :roll:

Their attitude was, "hey, it didn't cost me anything, so if I don't like it, I can toss it."

Oh dear! It look like that they never being taught to not waste their foods or what? :ugh:

Back