Lp won't learn asl

Wynonna

Reaction score
I'm hard of hearing, and may go totaly deaf some day. My life partner refuses to try to learn sign. When I try and sneak in a lesson, and she catches it, she cusses me out and tells me I need to learn to read lips. IDK if it's because I have a bit of dyslexia, but I find it next to impossible to lip read.

Ask her why she does not want to learn sign language.

Talk to her voice off and let her see how hard it can be to read lips.

Is your LP hearing or hoh, I find some people are not easy to lips read. I was my audi b/c my HA stopped working and the woman at the front talk was trying to talk to me.
I found it hard to read her lips b/c she talked with her lips tightly locked up her lips don't move a lot. I told her I wasn't in the mood to lips read instead of telling her she too hard to read.

I'm hard of hearing, and may go totaly deaf some day. My life partner refuses to try to learn sign. When I try and sneak in a lesson, and she catches it, she cusses me out and tells me I need to learn to read lips. IDK if it's because I have a bit of dyslexia, but I find it next to impossible to lip read.
How long have you been together?

Anyone cussing me out would no longer be my spouse the next day. And I've been married 38 years to the same person, so it is possible.

It sounds really unhealthy that she thinks she is allowed to do that.

I had a string of bf that told me they would learn but when it came down to it they refused. I know bfs are way different than lp, but I don't have that problem with my husband, he wanted to learn.

Tell your LP if you she want you lips read she has to learn to sign. If she act in way about learning ASL your LP must be controlling in other ways too. That is not a healthy relationship. You deserve better than that !

She thinks it's a waste of time to learn. Granted a heart condition,,, well, you know...
Anyway, She claims she can read lips perfectly! I tried going silent, and when she repeated back and I said wrong, I was either lying or distorting my lips to purposefully throw things off.
I also wonder, She claims to have perfect hearing, so how come I (with documented loss) am the one repeating what they just said on TV? Hmmmmmmmmmm........

She thinks it's a waste of time to learn. Granted a heart condition,,, well, you know...
Anyway, She claims she can read lips perfectly! I tried going silent, and when she repeated back and I said wrong, I was either lying or distorting my lips to purposefully throw things off.
I also wonder, She claims to have perfect hearing, so how come I (with documented loss) am the one repeating what they just said on TV? Hmmmmmmmmmm........
UGH! Distorting your lips yeah right ?? How do you that made your lips look like you were saying something difference ? LOL ! I guess the only thing you both can do it then it to text one another or write things down . You shouldn't have to lips read if don't want to and how can you tell if your LP isn't distorting her lips when talking to you ?? :)

I'm bad at LR no matter who it is....
LR isn't all that easy , I had a speech therapist tell she was trying to help a woman learn to LR and the woman was so tried after a lesson. I don't like to try to read lips when I am too tried . I learned it b/c I didn't get hearing aid until I was 8 yo , so I learn to read lips and people body language . And some people aren't easy to LR at all.

LR isn't all that easy , I had a speech therapist tell she was trying to help a woman learn to LR and the woman was so tried after a lesson. I don't like to try to read lips when I am too tried . I learned it b/c I didn't get hearing aid until I was 8 yo , so I learn to read lips and people body language . And some people aren't easy to LR at all.
Maybe you should have tired harder.

Just explain how important this is for you. Then if they still don't want to learn :bye:

Back