"Low Function"

BearBeauty

Reaction score
I've seen this term used sometimes. And I don't understand why it's used, but I don't think it's right to use the term.

I had a friend who was using this term to describe his girlfriend, who had dyslexia or something like that. I'm not sure exactly what.

I've seen people use this term to describe others. They may not have meant it in an insulting way, but the person they were talking about could take it as an insult.

Personally, I think all deaf people are smart people. We can't help the way we were raised, or the disabilities they have. (I do not consider deafness a disability)

But do we really have to call others "low function"? I mean, It's like the people who can hear thinking we're "deaf and dumb". Just because someone has a problem with reading, words, whatever; doesn't necessarily mean they are "low function".

So can someone explain why this term is used? Please?
(yes, I saw this in another thread and decided to ask about it)

Bear Beauty,
I sometimes use this term usually for people who are MR, or "Ummmm who's President Bush?" style LD. (not bashing folks with LD here.......just saying that there are some LD folks who are just not exactly high functioning) That's the only instance where I use it thou. I don't use it to descibe folks with classic LD or whatever.

Bear Beauty,
I sometimes use this term usually for people who are MR, or "Ummmm who's President Bush?" style LD. (not bashing folks with LD here.......just saying that there are some LD folks who are just not exactly high functioning) That's the only instance where I use it thou. I don't use it to descibe folks with classic LD or whatever.

And on the other hand, it is used, from what I have seen, primarily by deaf people to insult someone. I think it's kinda like an ASL idiom....

And on the other hand, it is used, from what I have seen, primarily by deaf people to insult someone.

From a hearing perspective, it's used in some offices that handle many different kinds of disabilities, such as the disability offices in colleges. As an interpreter, I was sometimes told by my boss if one of my students was low functioning, although in my case we didn't really use that term but something like "processing problems." It was good to know as an interpreter because we would need to adjust our style sometimes to facilitate communication.

When I have heard the actual term "low function" used in such offices it was never with the intent to insult. I think it may be an outdated term that some older staff people still use.

Personally, I think all deaf people are smart people. We can't help the way we were raised, or the disabilities they have. (I do not consider deafness a disability)

However as in my example, there are deaf people with other disabilities.

Hiya, Terpretator, nice to see you as always. Ummm, think your boss should say, "concrete operational"? I'm not objecting, necessarily to what he/she says; I just wanna know if I'm catching your drift/meaning.

I know there are deaf people with disablilites.. What I'm trying to say is.. should we really label those with disablilites as "low function" just because they have that disability?

Hiya, Terpretator, nice to see you as always.

And you. :)

Ummm, think your boss should say, "concrete operational"? I'm not objecting, necessarily to what he/she says; I just wanna know if I'm catching your drift/meaning.

Well, of course I'm trying not to be too specific. What I mean is, generally speaking, I have interpreted in classes with deaf students who have difficulty processing language of any kind -- not necessarily due to their deafness but sometimes -- and those who are also mentally disabled in some way. I really don't know very much about other disabilities so I don't know what all the terminology is, but I know some of these students were referred to as "low functioning." I believe it's a way of trying to convey a kind of student that requires a specialized way of interpreting, without invading that student's privacy by revealing the exact nature of the disability.

I agree the term isn't exactly elegant but it seems the terminology for these things changes just about every month, and I'm sure some people just stick with "low functioning." In this respect it is not intended as an insult, from the way I have seen it used and the people who use it. I don't mean to say it isn't used as an insult in other situations.

What I'm trying to say is.. should we really label those with disablilites as "low function" just because they have that disability?

If it is necessary for other people working with them, and only if it is necessary, then yes. Maybe not that exact term -- again I'm not up on what is considered the appropriate blanket term at the moment -- but yes, if they have that disability besides deafness and they are in a system that is working for them like a school's disability office or social work, then I think it is an important thing to know. If someone needs help, it's hard to help him if you don't know everything about him.

On the other hand, if someone DOESN'T need help then there's no need for labels or anything at all, just understanding.

It depends on the person and the overall situation. I used to work with a guy that was well uh- low functioning. He could keep a job and whatnot, but as far as taking care of himself properly and handling his finances forget it - he just could not do it. If I remember correctly he lived with his sister and had to catch a ride to work everymorning. He was also often picked on because of his serious lack in common sense as well as having a severe learning disability. He could barely read at a first grade level and he was a grown man.

Other times its almost insulting such as the old man that is illiterate, not because he doesnt have the brain to learn, its due his circumstances growing up. Perhaps he was the oldest of 10 children and instead of going to school he had to stay home and help raise the family. Now he depends on his youngest daughter to help him pay bills everymonth and to help balance his checkbook. He can properly take care of himself, very personable, and has worked all his life as a poultry farmer. The only thing he cant do is read. This person to me isn't truly low-functioning. What he needs is a little help from a family member to learn how to read.

JMHO

If we are not allow to use this term then what shall we use other term? I sometime have to lower myself to their level to make them understand me. Many of them never got really good education and for that I blame their parents and schools for not doing good jobs with them. I do not see them different from me except that I was truly blessed to have my parents who worked hard to see me get all need to live in this world. I feel bad for them.

Back