Low frequency loss.

Hartley

Reaction score
It`s been quite frustrating over the years why any adjustments to my hearing aids have never been satisfactory. I now have a cochlear implant and a hearing aid and it was only recently that my CI audiologist mentioned that I had low frequency hearing. I know I should have been aware of this but it was never told to me or I never asked.

Reading up of low frequency hearing I believe it is more difficult to make adjustments that are satisfactory and you have to hope that you find an audiologist who is knowledgeable on this.

My question is if in the event I am unable to find an audiologist should adjustment be made to reduce low frequency amplification so it does not over power the high frequencies. I am out of my depth here and I need guidance on what adjustment is required to help a person who has low frequency loss. From what I read majority of people have high frequency loss and audiologists are more used to dealing with this problem.

I`m not hearing well from my hearing aid and I`m hoping now I have a little more knowledge as to my hearing status I will receive the help that is required.

Sorry to be so lengthy.

There are a few variables that come into play. Is the hearing aid powerful enough to give you the lows you need? Is your low hearing bad enough that even a hearing aid won't or no longer can do the job? Does the hearing aid need new filters or be refurbished? Typically after you get your hearing tested, the audiologist will program the hearing aid to boost the frequency's you are lacking.

Last but not least, it's possible you may need to change audiologists. I had one audiologist for many years and over time, I became less satisfied because I always felt I was being rushed out. One day I went back in for an adjustment and had to use another audiologist because mine wasn't available and holy cow, what a change! New one actually spent more time with me and had other ideas that really made a difference.

Thank you for your input....I am seeing a new audiologist on Friday so I`m hoping for better results. You make some good points...I`m hoping the hearing aid is powerful enough - I`ve had it 3 years - it`s a Phonak Naida. Thanks for your guidance much appreciated.

You need to see someone who specializes in low frequency hearing loss. Very few audiologist know how to program HA's for LF losses since they see so few of them and HA manufacturers make their HA's for those with primarily HF losses since they make up the lion share of their business. Here is a good article to read by Neil Bauman who himself has a LF loss: http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/the-bizarre-world-of-extreme-reverse-slope-hearing-loss/

I had an appointment with new audiologist today. Had a hearing test on my left ear (my hearing aid ear) the result was I heard 60% in the speech department. He thought that was not too bad considering I have severe hearing loss. I talked about my low frequency hearing loss and he checked my hearing aid and said that he could not make any alteration to help and that he hoped in time my cochlear implant or my understanding of the cochlear implant would improve therefore helping my hearing ability.
I was disappointed that he felt there was nothing to be done. He has been in the business for 40 years so I`m sure if there was any alterations to be made he would have. I suggested maybe lowering the amplification on the lower frequencies but quite honestly I did not understand his reply....maybe they were already lowered. I`m obviously out of my depth and don`t know where to go from here.
So nothing has changed and I`m back to muffled words, echoing - over amplification being 2 feet away from person and at times still not "getting it". Amazing really I have $40,000 worth of equipment in my ears and I`m struggling to hear. I`m sure I will feel better tomorrow and get back on track working on my rehab with my CI but just for today my equipment is lying on my desk and all is quiet.

Maybe contact Phonak and ask for audiologists in your area. I believe you can also ask to have a Phonak rep at your appt, though it's probably up to the audiologist to arrange that. I know my audiologist has called Phonak for help during some of my appts. I, too, have low frequency loss in addition to high frequency loss and my Naidas have been fine for me.
I do have better speech scores than you, though.
Hope you can find someone to help you.

I have low frequency hearing loss and does a lot better with Oticon (check out their line of hearing aids, those are amazing)

I had an appointment with new audiologist today. Had a hearing test on my left ear (my hearing aid ear) the result was I heard 60% in the speech department. He thought that was not too bad considering I have severe hearing loss. I talked about my low frequency hearing loss and he checked my hearing aid and said that he could not make any alteration to help and that he hoped in time my cochlear implant or my understanding of the cochlear implant would improve therefore helping my hearing ability.
I was disappointed that he felt there was nothing to be done. He has been in the business for 40 years so I`m sure if there was any alterations to be made he would have. I suggested maybe lowering the amplification on the lower frequencies but quite honestly I did not understand his reply....maybe they were already lowered. I`m obviously out of my depth and don`t know where to go from here.
So nothing has changed and I`m back to muffled words, echoing - over amplification being 2 feet away from person and at times still not "getting it". Amazing really I have $40,000 worth of equipment in my ears and I`m struggling to hear. I`m sure I will feel better tomorrow and get back on track working on my rehab with my CI but just for today my equipment is lying on my desk and all is quiet.

Almost 9 yrs ago I got my first CI, (low freq. loss) I started out with the CI and HA. After a year ditched the HA, since the CI was so dominant and I hated the HA. To me the HA assisted the CI To learn faster, At that time I listened to music that did n't have alot of background instrumentation....ex Johnny Cash has always been a fav. also rock from the 50's to 70's. (good thing most was 'my' era and I liked it. lol) Since I was familiar with the music the HA helped the CI understand it. (IMO, lol) I just received a second implant on the other side in OCt. this is taking even longer, as the ear hasn't heard in 8 yrs since I ditched the HA. my strategy this time is audio books with digital additions that highlight as the book is read to me, directly into the new ear. testing in Feb? showed 69% in quiet, can't remember the noise tho. But it was no longer only the first sentence read in the noise test.

One tip on programming a HA is to go out into a noisy area with the audiologist and try to tell them what is coming through to loud and interfering with speech reception. I did this outside the office with one audi and the traffic noise was the worst could barely hear speech over it. She actually was able to take that and determine/guess which frequencies were really interfering with speech reception, and it was the first time that i really thought a HA was nice. then she left that office and that was the end of my successfully programming with HA's.

Back