Low-cost paging service with Operator-Dispatch text paging

rushabh

Reaction score
I'm looking for a low cost paging service that offers unlimited or close-to-unlimited Operator-Dispatch text paging or Voice-to-Text. I used to have this with Sprint a very long time ago but it seems that Sprint is no longer offering this service.

Does anyone know of any paging companies that offer this service? I am thinking of getting a Tmobile Sidekick but I am not sure if the Sidekick can receive pages and if there is Operator-dispatched text paging available with Tmobile or any other service offering the Sidekick. Thanks.

better get sidekick

rushabh said:
I'm looking for a low cost paging service that offers unlimited or close-to-unlimited Operator-Dispatch text paging or Voice-to-Text. I used to have this with Sprint a very long time ago but it seems that Sprint is no longer offering this service.

Does anyone know of any paging companies that offer this service? I am thinking of getting a Tmobile Sidekick but I am not sure if the Sidekick can receive pages and if there is Operator-dispatched text paging available with Tmobile or any other service offering the Sidekick. Thanks.

I could suggust you get sidekick, look at http://globalrelay.mci.com/wireless.htm

i agree with ideafspy... sidekick only $34.99 till dec 31 2003.. better hurry :D

But the question is:

Will hearing users be able to get in touch with me? If so, how?

If I do not want the hearing users to deal with relay services, will hearing users be able to send operator-dispatched text pages to me? Thanks!

rushabh said:
But the question is:

Will hearing users be able to get in touch with me? If so, how?

If I do not want the hearing users to deal with relay services, will hearing users be able to send operator-dispatched text pages to me? Thanks!

In my expeirce, I do not like operator-dispatched text message on pager. Due the lack respond on depend on what kind of system they use. One time, when I got home and my parent yelled at me because they are hold of me. So, I rather to have Ip-relay.com plans release software for sidekick that provide which mean call and recived. In mean of that time, the tech is getting break through for deaf community pretty soon.

ideafspy said:
In my expeirce, I do not like operator-dispatched text message on pager. Due the lack respond on depend on what kind of system they use. One time, when I got home and my parent yelled at me because they are hold of me. So, I rather to have Ip-relay.com plans release software for sidekick that provide which mean call and recived. In mean of that time, the tech is getting break through for deaf community pretty soon.

Sorry, I am having a hard time understanding what you just said. Could you please clarify your posting with better grammar? No offense intended. Thanks.

rushabh said:
Sorry, I am having a hard time understanding what you just said. Could you please clarify your posting with better grammar? No offense intended. Thanks.
I used to have the pager that relate with operator-dispatched such as voice to text or text to voice like Wynd service. The lack of respond due send and get contact into your pager. If the service not sending until next 2 hours and you will get that message. So, the ip-relay.com is going provide the software thing that can installation the sidekick. ip-relay.com provide the relay and the hearing user can call relay through the ip-relay.com to get you connect on sidekick near-real time.

My parents used to page me through voice to text and never got message until I see or call them. They got upset and angry because the service didn't not send until two hours or next day. So I would like to use near-real time chat. Since the tech is improving, the deaf community has advantage due the sidekick succes with ip-relay.com in the near future.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I understand what you said.

My situation is somewhat different than yours. I need the pager mostly for work-related stuff and I use CapTel to call people on work-related business. This rules out TTY relay service since I do not wish to inconvenience anyone on business-related matters. Thus what I need is a cheap solution for people to reach me so that I can call them back via CapTel. I could use a simple numeric pager with voicemail but an operator-assisted text dispatched pager would be a good way for people to send important messages to me and sometimes make it unnecessary for me to call them back.

In my search for the ideal solution, I have come across WebLink Wireless which has a 2-way pager service that allows me to receive operator-dispatched text messages and send text-to-voice messages although this feature isn't really necessary. The pricing is much better than Wyndtell.

Perhaps the perfect solution for me would be to have a mobile CapTel as this would be akin to a working mobile voice solution for an oral deaf person like myself.

I was really interested in the SideKick and would have gotten it if it had the operator-dispatched text messaging. I would ask my business contacts to page me only while asking my personal contacts to call me via IP TTY relay service. This would be a nice short-term solution until mobile CapTel comes out (I hope).

ideafspy said:
I used to have the pager that relate with operator-dispatched such as voice to text or text to voice like Wynd service. The lack of respond due send and get contact into your pager. If the service not sending until next 2 hours and you will get that message. So, the ip-relay.com is going provide the software thing that can installation the sidekick. ip-relay.com provide the relay and the hearing user can call relay through the ip-relay.com to get you connect on sidekick near-real time.

My parents used to page me through voice to text and never got message until I see or call them. They got upset and angry because the service didn't not send until two hours or next day. So I would like to use near-real time chat. Since the tech is improving, the deaf community has advantage due the sidekick succes with ip-relay.com in the near future.

I work for a 2Way paging company that has Operator Dispatch for $10.00 per month

rushabh said:

Hey, I work for www.2WayShop.com and they have Operator Dispatch for $10.00 per month and Nationwide Unlimited for $29.95 per month.

I am trying to get them to start a promotion where they will lease the 2Way for free to anyone who signs up for Unlimited service but it is still in the works.

MD Froman

MD Froman said:
Hey, I work for www.2WayShop.com and they have Operator Dispatch for $10.00 per month and Nationwide Unlimited for $29.95 per month.

I am trying to get them to start a promotion where they will lease the 2Way for free to anyone who signs up for Unlimited service but it is still in the works.

MD Froman

Hey, thanks for pointing me out to that company. The service is exactly like what I'm looking for. I'll look into it.

rushabh said:
Hey, thanks for pointing me out to that company. The service is exactly like what I'm looking for. I'll look into it.

No problem,
I'm glad I could help.

MD Froman,

I placed an order for a pager and service at 2wayshop.com over 2 weeks ago but my pager has not been shipped yet and I was able to get ahold of customer service only twice in the past 2 weeks. Customer service kept telling me that there is a problem with the wholesale supplier that is holding up the shipment and that it would be resolved soon. The last time I was able to reach customer service was last Monday and ever since then no one is picking up the phone.

Are you guys still in business???? If it is going to take any longer for me to get a pager, I would like to cancel my order. Please reply back because you are the last person from 2wayshop.com who can help me out. Thanks.

rusbah,

An idea -- semi-mobile CapTel might be possible by using a service such as Vonage (Voice Over IP). Then you can use laptop WiFi or other high speed laptop connection, hook your CapTel telephone into a VoIP telephone adaptor, and connect the VoIP adaptor to your computer, and the computer routes your call. However, it might not work. But keep an eye on VoIP technologies, which allows you to provision a local telephone line using an Internet connection as the demarcation point.

I really would like to get CapTel service, but it's only available in certain states in the USA. Perhaps I could provision a 212 area code VoIP telephone line and bring it with me to Canada. That would give me access to CapTel. (It's possible to bring an area code to another area code using VoIP -- some Canadians up here have USA area codes in this city now by using a VoIP line) Vonage even advertises you to have a foriegn telephone number in your own city (Toronto phone number on New York landline telephone!). A gray area, is how it would be paid for, as the extra charges for relay services (state relay service funds) aren't collected from VoIP users at this time, such as Vonage telephone users (http://www.vonage.com) and other VoIP users, even though several of them are able to connect to relay services.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

rushabh said:
MD Froman,

I placed an order for a pager and service at 2wayshop.com over 2 weeks ago but my pager has not been shipped yet and I was able to get ahold of customer service only twice in the past 2 weeks. Customer service kept telling me that there is a problem with the wholesale supplier that is holding up the shipment and that it would be resolved soon. The last time I was able to reach customer service was last Monday and ever since then no one is picking up the phone.

Are you guys still in business???? If it is going to take any longer for me to get a pager, I would like to cancel my order. Please reply back because you are the last person from 2wayshop.com who can help me out. Thanks.
:confused:

Mark,

That is an interesting idea. However, semi-mobile CapTel won't really cut it for me since I am starting to get more involved in a start-up business and people need to get in touch with me 24/7. At this time, a 2-way pager and a desktop CapTel are the only alternatives I have, at least until a mobile CapTel PDA becomes available.

Regarding your idea of obtaining a desktop CapTel phone for use in Canada via Vonage, it sounds like it could work but I am not sure if Vonage will be able to handle the 3-way calling required by the CapTel phone? Have you checked whether the CapTel device has any special phone line requirements that may make the device incompatible with the Vonage service? If there is no incompatibility then it may definitely work.

Voice to text transcription

I have found an amazing service at http://phonewire.com/voicemail/ that works like voicemail on steriods. The caller hears a greeting which you or this company can record and change as often as you like, then a voicemail recording beep. Once the caller has finished leaving their voice recorded message, it is forwarded to an operator who TRANSCRIBES the voicemail message into text and sends it to you within a matter of minutes to your pager, e-mail, screen of your cell phone, ... whatever. I have found that most callers feel uncomfortable speaking to a live operator, but if it is a voicemail box they use it more often. Also, this service can work with your work phone system so you no longer would have to use the relay to check your office voicemail! This company and service are great, and they have earned my recommendation!! You will wonder what you ever did without them... it is the "best of both worlds"! :bowdown:

wildrabbit76,

I have exactly the same service with www.dictomail.com now!
I love it a lot -- it transcribes all my voicemail into text!

I also found a vice-versa service (Text-to-Voice) that allows me to send email messages to phone numbers too! http://www.imbot.com

By the way, how does Dictomail compare to Phonewire?

Last edited:
rushabh,

I haven't tried. I know my Primus TalkBroadband VoIP supports 3-way calling, but USA phone numbers are not yet available up here in Canada. Apparently, Vonage now is available in Canada for Canada users, and now USA phone numbers are available to us Canadians! This may provide a CapTel loophole... (and hopefully this is legal, since paying for a USA phone number means some money goes to USA to pay for the phone number, and thus pay for operation of relay services. At least I hope the system is good enough to work this way).

I did a TDD test and a dialup modem test with my TalkBroadband, and VoIP appears to support that just fine, as long as you use the G.729 lossless codec, which is good enough to sustain a 52 Kbps dialup modem connection (although that is redundant, because you already have Internet access if you use VoIP). That would indicate the line might be transparent enough to support CapTel.

Some guinea pig would have to go before me...as all my monthly bills are starting to get to me :)

Last edited:
Mark Rejhon said:
wildrabbit76,

I have exactly the same service with www.dictomail.com now!
I love it a lot -- it transcribes all my voicemail into text!

I also found a vice-versa service (Text-to-Voice) that allows me to send email messages to phone numbers too! http://www.imbot.com

By the way, how does Dictomail compare to Phonewire?

Dict-O-mail is very nice service, however, it add more cost accompany with current wireless service. :(

Back