Loudness

Do you recommend using lipreading to teach language or as the primary means of communicating with the world?

Never said that. I only said lipreading can be picked up.

Hey I wonder if the Naida's and the FM system will help him comprehend speech more/better?

The FM just reduces background noise. It "brings the speaker closer". It doesn't increase the ability to understand speech and doesn't make things that were incomprehensible with the hearing aids any clearer. The FM just makes them be able to hear what they understand in quiet, in noise.

Ryancher, have you done the Ling 6 with your son? It will give you a basic knowledge of what he can and can not hear in speech.

You say "ahhh", "oooo", "eeee", "ssss", "shhh" and "mmmm".

Say them at regular volume, at about 3 feet away (make sure his back is to you). If he can repeat them all back to you, that is a simple test to show that he can discriminate speech sounds across all frequencies. If some are missing, you know he can't hear those.

You should be doing this each time his devices are put on to ensure that they are working properly and there is no change in response.

Caution: this is the very first step toward speech discrim. These sounds are very different, and people who easily discriminate them, still can have trouble understanding speech. There are sounds that are much more similar in English (mm vs nn or th vs f) This is just an easy way to tell if all frequecies are being covered.

Yes, I know the Ling Tests... although I will admit I don't do them as regularly as I probably should

He turns to most of them... but he doesn't repeat all of them.

It's like he hears them but he doesn't want to put the effort into saying them back to me.

Well I'm willing to do whatever I can for him...

That's great as long as you realize that no amount of work that you do can "fix" this. Either he will be able to understand spoken language or he won't, you can't control that. If he can, therapy will be of tremendous help, if he can't, he will gain some skills, plateau and then you will know that he has gone as far as he can.

Either way, he needs to be able to communicate, and what you can do for him is give him language that you know he CAN access. Visual language, through ASL.

Yes, I know the Ling Tests... although I will admit I don't do them as regularly as I probably should

He turns to most of them... but he doesn't repeat all of them.

It's like he hears them but he doesn't want to put the effort into saying them back to me.

The first step is to teach him to drop a toy in a bucket when her hears them. Then you know that he can hear them all.

BUT that is just sound awareness NOT discrimination. That means he hears a sound, but you don't know if he can tell that sound is different from another sound.

The next step would be to make card with pictures that represent each sound. "Ahhhh" would be an airplane, "oooo" an owl, "ssss" a snake, "shhh" a baby sleeping, and "mmmm" an ice cream cone. Then he learns that each sound is different, and he can point to which sound he hears.

THIS is discrimination. He can hear the sound and tell it is different than the other sounds.

We're giving him signs on a daily basis but he has yet to communicate with us via that route either.

He's starting to try to immitate words and signs... but he's just starting... and it's hard to distinguish as it's so primary.

What more can I do through ASL... I'm learning as much as I can and giving it back to him... but I'm not an ASL teacher. I'm a mother. I'm doing the best I can with what I know.

And yes I realize I can't "fix" his hoh... I accepted that a few years ago. Now, I just want to him to be the best he can be.

The next step would be to make card with pictures that represent each sound. "Ahhhh" would be an airplane, "oooo" an owl, "ssss" a snake, "shhh" a baby sleeping, and "mmmm" an ice cream cone. Then he learns that each sound is different, and he can point to which sound he hears.

Can you tell me more about this one?
How would this one work without memorization?

You would just teach him. "mmmm", the ice cream cone says Mmmmm. Ahhhh, the airplane says ahhhh.

My daughter learned it by two. I think I've seen kids pointing to the right card by 18-20 months old.

I thought I read that you said he had been in AV therapy in the past? They should have been doing these things with you and teaching you how to carry it over at home. What were his sessions like? Were they teaching him the "learning to listen sounds"? The Ling sounds are right in there.

Tyler was discharged from AV therapy when he was 1 year old because he wasn't progressing.

We have a speech language pathologist.

Tyler was discharged from AV therapy when he was 1 year old because he wasn't progressing.

At 1????? How can they tell he wasn't progressing yet?

The very first step is detection. Can he tell sound from silence? Does he consistanly turn to all enviromental sounds and the sound of speech (regardless of whether he knows what it is)?

Next would be discrimination, being able to tell one sound from another. Does he hear the difference between a phone ringing and a knock on the door?

Then identification. If he hears someone knock on the door, does he walk to the door to open it? Or if the phone rings, does he pick it up?

After he can do that with sound, you can move on to speech. But then you have to go through the same path again. First is detection, then discrimination, then identification (which in speech is comprehension).

So was the AV therapist concerned that he was unable to process language through listening? Did they say that you should sign because he wasn't able access speech through his aids?

yes, he turns to all sounds - speech and environmental.

And yes he can discrimate... door bell and telephone.

And on occasion he has run to the door when the door bell rings.

They discharged him from AVT because he wouldn't co-operate and do what was asked of him. I thought it was a bit annoying and I was happy to be done with that AVT therapist. I'd love to persue it again though for him.

Back