Lottery Winners Dead

HeartGirl

Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-11-26-lottery-death_x.htm

Woman who won $65.4 million with her husband 5 years ago wuz found dead at her home. Been dead for dayz b4 any1 found her. Her son found her dead Wednesday. Merida, 51, bought a $559,000 house, quit job, and ending her marriage. Her husband Metcalf wuz ordered 2 pay $31,000 in child support, judge issued warrant 4 his arrest after he failed 2 appear in court on a drunken driving charge, fined 4 causing a bar brawl, died in 2003 at age 45 of alcoholism :cry:

It goes to say that money can't be anything, especially happiness. Even it will not save the marriage nor the family after the winning. It's pretty sad. That's one reason I don't buy or play Lotto or lottery. My kids' dad still does.

That is exact same reason why I won't play lotto! In fact, majority of lotto winner goes bankruptcy in about 6 months! Is it worth it? Whats more, the advertising jackpot amount is really misleading! Say, the lotto jackpot is 100 million, in reality it means that if you want to take it over 25 years annual payment. But if you want the lump sum, then it would be around 37 million dollars then after taxes leaves you around 18 million, but unfortunately people around would still think yo have 100 million dollars. They'd bug ya and drive you up the walls. So, that 1 dollar you'd never know!

Whitewolf1970 said:
It goes to say that money can't be anything, especially happiness. Even it will not save the marriage nor the family after the winning. It's pretty sad. That's one reason I don't buy or play Lotto or lottery. My kids' dad still does.

Jeez... she won $65 million and still wants child-support?

diehardbiker65 said:
That is exact same reason why I won't play lotto! In fact, majority of lotto winner goes bankruptcy in about 6 months! Is it worth it? Whats more, the advertising jackpot amount is really misleading! Say, the lotto jackpot is 100 million, in reality it means that if you want to take it over 25 years annual payment. But if you want the lump sum, then it would be around 37 million dollars then after taxes leaves you around 18 million, but unfortunately people around would still think yo have 100 million dollars. They'd bug ya and drive you up the walls. So, that 1 dollar you'd never know!

Yeah. It's a pity to see them suffering. They've bug ya until you freak out and end up like the newspaper above. No thanks to lotto. It's a curse or a bad luck to begin with for some. I recalled a young man from Torrance or Redondo Beach won a lotto. He bought houses, cars, etc for his big families (mom, pop, uncle, aunt, bro, and so on) and was flat broke already. Once he became flat-broke, the IRS demanded the back taxes for the lotto winning he had. He didn't have any. So the houses, cars, and other things except clothings were taken away and sold in auctions to pay back the taxes. :eek: No thanks! Maybe he's stupid enuff by throwing money like there's no tomorrow. So I rather live in the way I am now. No fancy, no nothing, just plain life and plain living. I thank God for providing the roof over our heads is what we need and love. Money isn't. :)

VamPyroX said:

Yep. She still wants money so she became greedy. And the greedy got the best of her. Greedy is one of the curses. She was a happy go lucky lady and just plain mother until she won. Once she won, she became a greedy woman. And demanded money from her ex for child support. She must be crazy for being greedy. I wouldn't go near her if I find out she's a greedy lady.

The answer is very simple, it is not really about greedy. Its about wealth shock. Once a person becomes rich outright overnight, that person will have their mind lost and don't know how to handle the wealth. Of course spending spree is on binge. In average of 6 month these kind of people runs out of money before they actually realize and when they realize, they would do anything to recover the deficit, chasing for child support is one way. Other way is sucide.
On other hand, those who became wealthy over time knew how much each penny worth! They knew that if become careless with just one penny they will go broke faster! Most poor people don't realize that. Most people blaming on rich people for not paying enough to poor people. It may sound true, but if rich people pay one more penny to every poor person, that rich person will become poor outright! It is all mathematic, and math can't lie!

VamPyroX said:

I wonder...
If I won $100 million, what happen if I give $50 million to charity
will I get a huge tax relief?

Why bother pay 1 dollar? Actually to avoid paying a penny in taxes is simply give that winning ticket to charity. You can do so by doing anonymously. That way, you can avoid harassment from poor people.

HeartGirl said:
I wonder...
If I won $100 million, what happen if I give $50 million to charity
will I get a huge tax relief?

There has been confusion between the advertising winning amount and the lump sum. This article where this thread linked you said that this couple won 65.4 million dollars, but they opt for lump sum, which means get all the jackpot immediately, this leaves them only 34.1 million dollars, after that, there cometh the tax man for at least another 50% which leaves the couple with only 17 million dollars, divided into each of them with 8-1/2 million dollars to spent with. 8-1/2 is NOT alot these day anymore. Read whole article and you will see "Opt for lump sum of 34.1 mil". Just think about it, they orignally thought they won 65 million dollars and eventually found themselves with only 8-1/2 million dollars. Thats scary! That is why I REFUSED to play Lotto!

Eck, money never buys your happiness and it is a curse. I imagine that the millions of dollars would feed the hunger in USA.

Yea, too bad them government taking money for their own gain!
There is no way government can lose money on lottery! They take 50% out and leave 50% for winners, then take another 50% from that winner as taxes. See how it goes that way? What a greedy government there it is!

flyfishfemme said:
Eck, money never buys your happiness and it is a curse. I imagine that the millions of dollars would feed the hunger in USA.

I think it is kinda stupid to quit job and to think about retiring...
when they know the government will take a chunk of their winning money.
If I won, maybe I used some of that money to run a business. Or maybe
own a franchise. :wiggle:

diehardbiker65 said:
If you pick the annual payment option, you get about 3/4 of the winnings. If you pick the cash sum, you get under half the winnings.

If I won the lottery, I'd go for the annual payment option. If the winning was $4 million, I would get $3 million. That split up into 25 years is $120,000 per year. That's much more than I would need. I could get myself a good apartment at $2,000 a month and still have $96,000 left. I could get a good expensive car or SUV for $50,000 and still have $46,000 left. That car will last me for over 5 years. That means, I will have $96,000 left per year for the next 4 years. Let's suppose I am 30 years old now and the money will be paid for 25 years, that means I will stop getting paid when I am 55 years old. With the money I have saved up after 25 years, I would have probably $2,400,000 left. If I live to be 90 years old, that means I have over $50,000 per year to live on. $50,000 is what a good businessman makes... and that's more than I need for the rest of my life. :)

You may not realize the emotional consequences. Usually it DOES wreck your emotions, all unintentionally. And you will get constantant harassment from everybody because they THINK you'd have money to give away. Is it worth to wreck peace of mind? I have heard enough stories lately from former lotto winners, at least 95% of them regretted. Don't forget the famous motto "You never know". The truth is that you never know how emotions will impact you after you discover that you have hit a jackpot. I can bet you 99% chances that you WILL get overwhelmed! Worth it? You are the one who can decide.

If I don't play, I won't hit nothing, and still lose, nor gain nothing but thank god I get to keep my sanity.

VamPyroX said:
If you pick the annual payment option, you get about 3/4 of the winnings. If you pick the cash sum, you get under half the winnings.

If I won the lottery, I'd go for the annual payment option. If the winning was $4 million, I would get $3 million. That split up into 25 years is $120,000 per year. That's much more than I would need. I could get myself a good apartment at $2,000 a month and still have $96,000 left. I could get a good expensive car or SUV for $50,000 and still have $46,000 left. That car will last me for over 5 years. That means, I will have $96,000 left per year for the next 4 years. Let's suppose I am 30 years old now and the money will be paid for 25 years, that means I will stop getting paid when I am 55 years old. With the money I have saved up after 25 years, I would have probably $2,400,000 left. If I live to be 90 years old, that means I have over $50,000 per year to live on. $50,000 is what a good businessman makes... and that's more than I need for the rest of my life. :)

yes remind me of song P Diddy sang...

I don't know what, they want from me
It's like the more money we come across
The more problems we see

diehardbiker65 said:
You may not realize the emotional consequences. Usually it DOES wreck your emotions, all unintentionally. And you will get constantant harassment from everybody because they THINK you'd have money to give away. Is it worth to wreck peace of mind? I have heard enough stories lately from former lotto winners, at least 95% of them regretted. Don't forget the famous motto "You never know". The truth is that you never know how emotions will impact you after you discover that you have hit a jackpot. I can bet you 99% chances that you WILL get overwhelmed! Worth it? You are the one who can decide.

If I don't play, I won't hit nothing, and still lose, nor gain nothing but thank god I get to keep my sanity.

Believe me, he is right!

Also, when come to winning lottery or lotto, they request a person to show self on cameras or pictures, no thanks. When you have the right to privacy after winning. I don't know why they want ppl to show their faces in public as winners. I checked all on the lottery site and they have their photos on it and that's no privacy. Like I said numerous of times, no thanks for playing lottery or lotto anyway. IF my kids' dad choose to play lottery or lotto, then that his risks, not mine. I rather live like a poor church mouse than a luxury mansion with an olympic pool. Odd as it sounds, rich do not have many friends, while the poor does. Sometimes. Even when a rich person invited too many darn fine people, then end up flat-broke after his money was drained out of his bank too fast. :eek: Jeez. So no wonder our parents taught us the value of the money and how to save for emergency only.

No matter how hard you try to keep it quiet. One person find out, its a gossip news for them! They will multiply them and your privacy is gone. In fact, you will be found out that your lotto winners... Your families can drive you nuts! Expecting you to share the pot, that is where overwhelming starts and seems never ends forever.

I think its requirement for you to be in publicity when hit jackpot, these medias have the right to know. So, impossible to hide.

Again, another good reason not to play Lotto!

Hey, you never know!

Whitewolf1970 said:
Also, when come to winning lottery or lotto, they request a person to show self on cameras or pictures, no thanks. When you have the right to privacy after winning. I don't know why they want ppl to show their faces in public as winners. I checked all on the lottery site and they have their photos on it and that's no privacy. Like I said numerous of times, no thanks for playing lottery or lotto anyway. IF my kids' dad choose to play lottery or lotto, then that his risks, not mine. I rather live like a poor church mouse than a luxury mansion with an olympic pool. Odd as it sounds, rich do not have many friends, while the poor does. Sometimes. Even when a rich person invited too many darn fine people, then end up flat-broke after his money was drained out of his bank too fast. :eek: Jeez. So no wonder our parents taught us the value of the money and how to save for emergency only.

Back