Lots of spam

romany

Reaction score
Have you been getting a lot of scam emails in your junkbox since signing up here? I have! GRRRR I hate these Nigerian scams! Where they tell you you've got a million dollars waiting for you, but that you have to email them your personal details first before they can release the money to you. YEEEEEAH right!

For example I got this below today in my email box:

"This is Communication of western union Head quarter in New York here we have Your money here from Government send to You $15000.00 but we want You to get back to us so we can can give You the MTCN number and other details ok. so that you can pick Your money Up and You can be happy from Government alright so we want You to get back to us Fast ok so we can give You the Tracking Number of Your money so You can go and pick Your money up in the western Union Location Around You THANKSMANAGEMENTNEW YORK "

I actually know some deaf & hearing friends who were a bit gullible, so they didn't know it was a scam, they were going to send money to these people to release the funds but I warned them just in time, after they told me they got these emails.

Im just worried that some people on here may fall for these scams, so I thought I'd put out this warning. I know heaps won't fall for it, but a few may.

PLEASE DON'T REPLY TO THESE KIND OF EMAILS.

Yes, this happens and it is unfortunate this does because the website has a moderate amount of traffic. When you have traffic around, chances are you'll have more spammers about trying to make some nice $ off you.

You might wanna either disable the "member emailing" option or turn on invisible mode in your control panel, if you want to get past this. Until then, there's no alternate fix for this aside from installing some vB plugins that I don't know if Alex intends to do or not.

spammers again!. I m too. I got AIM message from stranger man last few week ago. I don't know Mr Edward Wallace from the CIA Office California. He said that the new coming President Mr Obama say we most give all scammer deaf the sum of $50,000 each. He can send check of $50,000 to us but he request me to pay fee at $350 for DHL Express. he showed image of this check to me. I believed that this check might be fake. I refused to pay fee for him instead of company. I know that he s scammer. I blocked him in AIM.

It is all scammers, it is common aroiund here. But it is the best if the email noficiations has been disabled from User CP.

I have only gotten spam from here maybe once or twice. That's odd that some of you get a lot. I'm very choosy about where I post my email addy or enable emailing so that helps cut down on spam.

That is why my email and IM's are kept private in my profile.

You have to learn not to leave yourself open to these type of people.

I don't give out emails on here or in my profile, that's why I was curious how do these scammers email me?? It can only come from here because I only started getting so many emails in my junkbox plus a few that gets through to my regular inbox (mostly letters from members here asking me to please be their friend and have a relationship with them, they're looking for love etc etc but most of them don't even know if Im a man or a woman! they just email PLEASE HELP I AM DESPERATE AND WANT SEX AND LOVE AND MARRIAGE etc etc lol they sound stupid! They don't even know my name or anything, just say HI FRIEND that's all. Plus, I can see in the CC that they've also emailed other deaf people because their email addresses are enclosed in the CC.

If you can see my email addy in my profile, can you please tell me how to turn it off? I've gone through everywhere in my profile and details but can't find the email notification to turn it off. I think it's off because when it asks if I want friends to email me,I have that turned off.

Your details are off as I can see in your profile, there is nothing.

I think I know what's going on, in terms of the spam formula.

It's mostly the newer registered users getting spammed, because they are on the (newer) list of members registered! (Obviously). The original idea of spamming thru forums was probably given some thought by the programmers and such. Why go thru sending messages to the older userlist if for the most part, a majority of them don't exist or aren't around anymore to receive the mail?
You want good results, so you stick with something that methodically works.

The newer people are the better target. They're fresh, and they know they're probably around.

Back