LOTE for Deaf children

shezzbeav

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Reaction score
Growing up, I was never given a chance to participate in LOTE (Languages other than English) classes in primary and secondary schools. All of the schools I attended just did not have the resources to teach me another language, which I thought was unfair. I have always wanted to learn another language, but never given the chance to do so.

NSW Government recently allocated over $2 million dollars to establish a bilingual program at 4 schools in NSW over the next 4 years. Children will start learning an Asian language in Kindergarten, and continue learning until they reach the end of their primary schooling years. Those classes will run for 90 minutes each day. I personally think this is a waste of time, especially for those whose English skills are declining due to lack of proper English education. I'm also concerned about deaf children in NSW schools not having access to a LOTE class at their school.

NSW is very behind QLD, Vic and Tas as it has not yet introduced Auslan into schools statewide. Signed English is still being used in NSW schools, which I think is appalling, as deaf children statewide are unaware of the Deaf community and Auslan, and they have no access to Deaf role model, which is quite sad.

I am asking you guys... in your country, have you had a chance to learn another language when you were in school? If so, please post with your answer and how you experienced it.

Growing up, I was never given a chance to participate in LOTE (Languages other than English) classes in primary and secondary schools. All of the schools I attended just did not have the resources to teach me another language, which I thought was unfair. I have always wanted to learn another language, but never given the chance to do so.

NSW Government recently allocated over $2 million dollars to establish a bilingual program at 4 schools in NSW over the next 4 years. Children will start learning an Asian language in Kindergarten, and continue learning until they reach the end of their primary schooling years. Those classes will run for 90 minutes each day. I personally think this is a waste of time, especially for those whose English skills are declining due to lack of proper English education. I'm also concerned about deaf children in NSW schools not having access to a LOTE class at their school.

NSW is very behind QLD, Vic and Tas as it has not yet introduced Auslan into schools statewide. Signed English is still being used in NSW schools, which I think is appalling, as deaf children statewide are unaware of the Deaf community and Auslan, and they have no access to Deaf role model, which is quite sad.

I am asking you guys... in your country, have you had a chance to learn another language when you were in school? If so, please post with your answer and how you experienced it.
I am not impressed on how the deaf school in Sydney runs like as it runs the same as it was 7 or 8 years ago and today's technology has already advanced. Agree, this is waste of time, people need to focus on English.

Back