lost my honda st1100

Everything, KBB shows worth 800 dollars something. Insurance companies simply follow this method. Refused to go other method, even if shown receipt of actuarial cost.

That is why NEVER NEVER even NEVER do any repairs or replace that exceed the value of vehicle, my ex roommate ignored my advise against replacing the engine. Now he knows the truth and regrets.

ah.... there you go. Insurance company didn't screw him. It wasn't because insurance company was being greedy and ignorant either.

It's just the way it is and if KBB says the engine was worth $800... then that's too bad. Your friend took a risk and he had to accept it. That's why if you want to be protected by this, then you need to have it insured yourself so that you will get compensated nearly 100% - just like optional insurance fee for cellphone or computer.

On related note to this thread - in motorcycle situation, insurance company does pay for your aftermarket products and gear if they got damaged in accident but they're not going to pay for labor fee that you paid for before. That's silly.

It depends on the insurance company and adjuster.

When my Cherokee was totaled this year, I got about $1,000 above KBB's best number, without any begging or cajoling. I was able to remove all my personal stuff and anything that didn't effect the value of the Jeep.

Property damage value isn't very negotiable. The adjusters pretty much follow the book guidelines. Some will try to give the benefit of the doubt as much as possible.

Personal injury is another matter.

That requires a lawyer to get the most for you. A good personal injury lawyer:

1. Specializes in personal injury cases.

2. Has a lot of experience.

3. Will fight aggressively for you but won't make any false or exaggerated promises about a settlement.

4. Will not encourage you to lie about your pain or injuries but will not let anything be ignored either.

5. Will make all the medical arrangements for you, including no medical bills until the claim is settled.

6. Will totally be up front with you about his commission, which is usually 1/3 of the settlement. That seems like a lot but they usually get you more than you would have received without him. Also, that ensures that you get all the medical/therapy care that you need.

7. Will not charge you any money up front, or if they lose the case.

The above are from my personal experiences.

You have to be patient if you want the maximum settlement.

Pain and suffering is usually determined by taking the medical bills and multiplying times two.

Hey guys, I finally got my police report. It shows the other driver caused the accident and is in violation of 21801a VC
This should make it easier with dealing with the ins. :hmm:
Appreciate all your comments abt how to handle it. :ty:
Ride on dudes!

I got some close encounters when I was riding bike in Chicago area. People do not watch for bikers and open door. They would have opened door and slam me to street if I did not look up. Always be aware of your surroundings at all the times!!!!

If your motorcycle are over 1,000 lbs. It'll cream the door. My Suzuki Volusia is 1,025lbs and it's rather heavy bike. I've watched youtube of guy ran into deer while on helmetcam. Deer literally split in half when it T-boned at deer. The rider wasn't injured at all but bloodied from deer's blood splatter.

Catty

Hey guys, I finally got my police report. It shows the other driver caused the accident and is in violation of 21801a VC
This should make it easier with dealing with the ins. :hmm:
Appreciate all your comments abt how to handle it. :ty:
Ride on dudes!

what's the violation of 21801a VC?

If your motorcycle are over 1,000 lbs. It'll cream the door. My Suzuki Volusia is 1,025lbs and it's rather heavy bike. I've watched youtube of guy ran into deer while on helmetcam. Deer literally split in half when it T-boned at deer. The rider wasn't injured at all but bloodied from deer's blood splatter.

Catty

Yep, the bike went into the car deep. It looked totaled to me. My bike was in the 800 lbs category .. I can imagine what a 1000 bike would do!:shock:

The guy who hit me, he was only 19. And was driving a 2012 Honda accord! We bikers gotta watch out for those inexperienced drivers!

Found out today that the motorcycle has been declared "totaled " and will get Kelly book value for it. Hmmm what will I buy next...decisions decisions...:hmm::hmm::dance2: can't wait to recover. And go back riding.

Hey bikers, im not sure if I should take me total loss payment on the bike and look for a used bike on Craigslist. Or local newspaper sales.. or if I should use the money as a down payment. On.a new bike and get the rate payments low...hmmmm decisions decisions

That depends on your own financial situation. Personally, I prefer used vehicles and bikes. When my Jeep was totaled last year, I was able to buy another used Cherokee with my insurance money. It was five years newer than the wrecked one, and had more features. So, I got a "new" Jeep, and had no monthly payments to make.

TCS bought his bike new for cash but it wasn't full price because it was the previous model year.

If you're very mechanically savvy about bikes, or you have a mechanic friend or family member accompanying you, a used bike should be a reliable purchase.

Hey bikers, im not sure if I should take me total loss payment on the bike and look for a used bike on Craigslist. Or local newspaper sales.. or if I should use the money as a down payment. On.a new bike and get the rate payments low...hmmmm decisions decisions

I bought my bike from Craigslist. I'm the 3rd owner. negotiated it down to $5,500. it comes with risk - I had to spend quite a bit of money to fix it up and tweak it.

and of course.... if you get a brand new bike - it comes with peace of mind

I found my Jeep on Craig's List.

TCS found his work van on eBay.

SIL found his Denali on CarMax.

I know those aren't motorcycles but it's just an example that shows there are some good deals online. It just takes some careful research.

Good input from ya all. While still in physical thearpy, ill keep looking in the new posts in ad and Craigslist and look at what dealers are doing with 2011bikes. See what deal culd come out. Thanks for the feedback. Ill look into em all for sure.

Update: after weeks of searching and dealership hopping, trying out bikes etc. I finally found a new bike that I will use for commute. Its a z750 Kawasaki. Man this baby has fuel injection and maneuvers very easily, throttle is very responsive. I love it. Anybody try this bike? Its z1000's baby brother. Ride on baby!

I used to have a ST1100 too. i think its one of the best bikes ever made. Would like to get a ST1300 some day

Oh yeah the 1300 are very nice too!
I do miss the st1100. But so far have been enjoying the z750s. Also bought the klr650 so I could have a dual bike. Now im switching off btwn both bikes like switching off with shoes. He he anybody have any experience with the klr's?

Back