Lost cochlear battery

Lighthouse77

Reaction score
I lost one of my rechargeable battery for my Cochlear implant because it died on me when I was out in town so I don't know what happened to it. I am depending on one rechargeable battery that only last me about 8 hours. I had a regular hearing aid battery backup but I lost that too (I believe it fell on the floor and I probably vacuumed it up. I remember placing it on my shelf... and now it was gone when I needed it)

The question is, will my insurance cover the ones I lost or will I need to pay the replacement out of my pocket?

I lost one of my rechargeable battery for my Cochlear implant because it died on me when I was out in town so I don't know what happened to it. I am depending on one rechargeable battery that only last me about 8 hours. I had a regular hearing aid battery backup but I lost that too (I believe it fell on the floor and I probably vacuumed it up. I remember placing it on my shelf... and now it was gone when I needed it)

The question is, will my insurance cover the ones I lost or will I need to pay the replacement out of my pocket?

We have AB, but we were told that batteries will NOT be covered by insurance or by warranty, so out of pocket it is!

you will likely be stuck paying for it looking online they seem to be about $40 for a 2 pack

Sorry about that..hope u find it!

What is your cochlear implant brand?? If you have Nucleus Freedom. You need to go cochlear website and find the rechargeable. You have to fill out for an insurance cover. The rechargeable is expensive than regular battery. Insurance can cover for new rechargeable and regular batteries. MY ci fell off and thud on the floor and rechargeable came out. I spotted it on the floor and pick it up. I am thinking about get earmold to hold my CI.

Call the company, explain the situation. They may be willing to give you one this time only. They did for me, totally unexpected as I was willing to purchase one. Similar situation, battery died while I was out one weekend and I lost it on the way home. My company was extremely generous and sent me a replacement free. It was also my first replacement of the newer design battery that lasts much longer which are the only ones I use now.

Good luck. If you call, you might also consider purchasing some disposable batteries and holders for back up.

I have Nucleus.. I hope they will cover it. Those rechargeable are expensive. I can't afford a year supplies of hearing aid batteries either.

My rechargeable batteries don't last long

What is your cochlear implant brand?? If you have Nucleus Freedom. You need to go cochlear website and find the rechargeable. You have to fill out for an insurance cover. The rechargeable is expensive than regular battery. Insurance can cover for new rechargeable and regular batteries. MY ci fell off and thud on the floor and rechargeable came out. I spotted it on the floor and pick it up. I am thinking about get earmold to hold my CI.

Our daughter has 2 BTE freedom processors. The regular CI batteries in the blister packs last her almost 48 hours, but the rechargeable batteries sometimes only last her 16-10 hours.
Does anyone have any suggestions how to improve the battery life?

Our daughter has 2 BTE freedom processors. The regular CI batteries in the blister packs last her almost 48 hours, but the rechargeable batteries sometimes only last her 16-10 hours.

Hearing pocket, My Nucleus Freedom's batteries last 4-5 days, which batteries does she use?

Cochlear implant Plus batteries by Powerone?

Nucleus Cochlear Implant battery life

Lissa,
My daugther uses Power One cochlear implant batteries and the Nucleus Rechargeable batteries made by Cochlear Corp. Any ideas why she is getting such poor battery life? Does it make sense that she has such a difference in a performance than you are getting?

Lissa,
My daugther uses Power One cochlear implant batteries and the Nucleus Rechargeable batteries made by Cochlear Corp. Any ideas why she is getting such poor battery life? Does it make sense that she has such a difference in a performance than you are getting?

She may have a very high program which is causing this. Best thing to do is to ask her audiologist and ask them if there is any way she can get better battery life(if you havent already asked)
I also do not wear my CI every waking hour so that also could be a contribution to the batteries lasting 4-5days

yes, she probably due for another mapping like me.

That's what my audiologist told me.. that if I turn up the volumes, it weakens the battery life, and the best solution is to get a mapping and the battery life will be longer.

btw, I can't get my rechargable last longer than 10 hours. So I think it is normal.

Hearing pocket, My Nucleus Freedom's batteries last 4-5 days, which batteries does she use?

Cochlear implant Plus batteries by Powerone?

Mine only last 3 days. I am constantly changing batteries. No wonder I lost most of my backups.

yes, she probably due for another mapping like me.

That's what my audiologist told me.. that if I turn up the volumes, it weakens the battery life, and the best solution is to get a mapping and the battery life will be longer.

btw, I can't get my rechargable last longer than 10 hours. So I think it is normal.

I do not use rechargeable batteries so I don't know how long they do last

My current Freedom lets me go back and forth. I can either use rechargable or regular batteries. Which work out great for me because I can always buy hearing aid batteries at the store if I am stuck in town.

My current Freedom lets me go back and forth. I can either use rechargable or regular batteries. Which work out great for me because I can always buy hearing aid batteries at the store if I am stuck in town.

Are the rechargeable batteries any better/ much different to the disposable ones? I know they are cheaper for you american people

Hearing Pocket, that would depend on her mapping, the higher the mapping the less life the battery would have.

I have just moved from high map to slow one and noticed big difference in battery life. I use both Rechargeable/disposables. Rechargables used to be few hours now it lasts 2 days, the disposables used to last 3/4 days and now it's on its 5th day so far....
The change in map was from 900hz to 250hz as the Audiologist wanted me to try something for the moment...

Lighthouse77, how about getting small purse with key ring, attaching to your handbag to keep your batteries together, I found this extremely helpful as i am Teaching Assistant and would only have few seconds to change batteries!! it does help when you know where it is!

I would have thought that cochlear would have given you 4 rechargables to start off when you were switched on.

Are the rechargeable batteries any better/ much different to the disposable ones? I know they are cheaper for you american people

They are no difference in sound wise. However when the rechargables power gets low it becomes quieter then beeps. Whereas with disposables it remains good until it beeps. I found rechargables good especially as TA i can switch them without taking my CI off and the kids noticing!. It's also lighter.

My daughter's battery lasts about 12 hours. we just change it when she gets home from school. It's not that bad. You can't change how long it lasts, it is the MAP that determines it.

Hearing Pocket, that would depend on her mapping, the higher the mapping the less life the battery would have.

I have just moved from high map to slow one and noticed big difference in battery life. I use both Rechargeable/disposables. Rechargables used to be few hours now it lasts 2 days, the disposables used to last 3/4 days and now it's on its 5th day so far....
The change in map was from 900hz to 250hz as the Audiologist wanted me to try something for the moment...

Lighthouse77, how about getting small purse with key ring, attaching to your handbag to keep your batteries together, I found this extremely helpful as i am Teaching Assistant and would only have few seconds to change batteries!! it does help when you know where it is!

I would have thought that cochlear would have given you 4 rechargables to start off when you were switched on.

I seen one of those keyring thingys. If it have a screw cap or zipper, I would use it. But if it snap open and close, more likely it will open if I drop my keys. I think I will still lose it that way.

No, they only gave me two but I wasn't a new implant user when I got Freedom. So I guess they only provide two rechargeable batteries to those who are exchanging their processors for a new one (Trade in). I had pay for the new processor out of my pocket anyhow so cutting back some of the supplies helped with the cost.

Back