Loosing hearing 15 year old girl

Um have you looked past the superfical "Leave It To Beaver" facade that AG Bell pushes? Most likely not. Have you actually dug beyond the superfical " YAY these cute dhh kids can hear and talk and are in the NORMAL world" mentality? Most likely not. I know for a fact AG Bell is terrified of their facade being broken. They portray the hearing world as some glorious utopia where dhh kids can be NORMAL and automaticly fit 100% into the mainstream. There are major major issues and downsides. As a matter of fact, one of my friends was an Oral Deaf Teen, and spoke out on the downsides on a complete oral/mainstream approach. AG Bell banned her from ever even showing her face at an AG Bell event ever again. I have a friend who has been working as a psychologist with dhh kids who are oral and mainstreamed for thirty years. She says her clients today express the exact same issues of her first clients. Do your adult deaf collealleges feel like they fit in 100% into the hearing world with no accomondations? What about socially etc? Can they function fully without their HAs or CIs for extended amounts of time?
I can't hear for sh1t if I am not wearing my hearing aid. If I am talking to someone and my go dead on me I have to try and read the person lips and everyone not easy to do this with . Plus I can't always understand what a person said , I can them but just can't understand something.

I can't hear for sh1t if I am not wearing my hearing aid. If I am talking to someone and my go dead on me I have to try and read the person lips and everyone not easy to do this with . Plus I can't always understand what a person said , I can them but just can't understand something.
Exactly!!!!! A dhh kid has the right to be able to function fully without a HA or CI. I read something in a book on special ed, that was profound " Physically disabled kids have the right to roll, blind/low vision kids have the right to learn Braille and dhh kids have the right to learn ASL. You have to give them the choice in the first place. Otherwise how will you know if it's helpful or not? I have no idea why that approach is so contorversial. There are many many different pieces to the puzzle and dhh kids should NOT be trained to exclusively depend to function exactly like a hearing kid. They NEED the choice in the first place!

Exactly!!!!! A dhh kid has the right to be able to function fully without a HA or CI. I read something in a book on special ed, that was profound " Physically disabled kids have the right to roll, blind/low vision kids have the right to learn Braille and dhh kids have the right to learn ASL. You have to give them the choice in the first place. Otherwise how will you know if it's helpful or not? I have no idea why that approach is so contorversial. There are many many different pieces to the puzzle and dhh kids should NOT be trained to exclusively depend to function exactly like a hearing kid. They NEED the choice in the first place!
I was born 1946 and deaf and hoh students weren't taught ASL in public schools and by the time is was discovered you were hoh or deaf you were already labeled as "lazy"
"stupid" and "retarded" so once you did get a hearing aid you got less help from your teacher b/c you weren't "worth their time" as I was told by my high school principal.
I only had one teacher that took the time she was also a neighbor of mine. we were always getting one another mails . So I get really upset when I heard this kind of treatment
is still going on .

Welcome aboard! Have you been told the reason for your hearing loss and why your loosing your hearing at a faster rate?
Yeah, I have a very rare genetic disease that has done severe damage to my auditory nerves. When I say rare, I mean I'm the only person other than my mother with this disease in the state. By now it's under control, but I'm scheduled for a new hearing screening, because I can hear a big difference in my hear loss. And it's not a good difference. I will most likely not go fully deaf, but I could get close.

Do you know what the reason is that they are reluctant? Maybe convince your family to learn ASL with you, so they can realize that you won't stop communicating with them even when you take part in Deaf community.

As a mom and hearing, I think that would be one of my bigger concerns, Specially at your age with puberty already creating a wig between you and your parents. As a parent it's also hard to let go of your little baby.

Oh well it's just my 2 pennies.

I live with my mom and maternal grandparents, Dad hasn't been around for years. My mom likes to learn somethings, but she has the worse memory and gets mad very easily at me for trying to teach her after work, which is the only time I see her. My grandparents hate when I sign, because I've grown up most of my life talking, so why can't I be one of the those "talking deaf people"?

Yeah, I have a very rare genetic disease that has done severe damage to my auditory nerves. When I say rare, I mean I'm the only person other than my mother with this disease in the state. By now it's under control, but I'm scheduled for a new hearing screening, because I can hear a big difference in my hear loss. And it's not a good difference. I will most likely not go fully deaf, but I could get close.
What disease? Pretty sure you will find more than one with same if you are out in the deaf world.

What disease? Pretty sure you will find more than one with same if you are out in the deaf world.
You haven't heard of it, It's an auto inflammatory disease called NOMID which is short for Neonatal Onset Multisystem Inflammatory disease. So basically my immune system is on all of the time. One of the side effects is meningitis, which is what did the damage to the nerve. Other than my mother, I'm the only person in my state with it. If you want to research it, put NOMID in google and click on the NOMID alliance. It will as say CINCA because that's what it's known as in Europe.

I'm gradually losing my hearing too. I'm 17 now and its worse than what it used to be. everything is always muffled and sometimes ill miss entire conversations because I wasn't looking that direction. no one in my life signs either. I understand what its like being that stuck alone in the middle situation. I have a skype tho and kik if youd want to sign or just talk at all:)
I'd love to talk, but I work on chromebook, instead of a regular PC or computer. I'll try to find some way to get Skype on my book, because it would feel so good to talk. I do have Facebook and Google+ if you can chat or hangout in the meantime.

I live with my mom and maternal grandparents, Dad hasn't been around for years. My mom likes to learn somethings, but she has the worse memory and gets mad very easily at me for trying to teach her after work, which is the only time I see her. My grandparents hate when I sign, because I've grown up most of my life talking, so why can't I be one of the those "talking deaf people"?
Does your grandparents really say "talking deaf people" ? I think my grandma from Russia would had said the same . Your mom's memory will be worst when she is tried , can you let her rest for awhile then see if she will mind trying to learn some easy signs?

I was born 1946 and deaf and hoh students weren't taught ASL in public schools and by the time is was discovered you were hoh or deaf you were already labeled as "lazy"
"stupid" and "retarded" so once you did get a hearing aid you got less help from your teacher b/c you weren't "worth their time" as I was told by my high school principal.
I only had one teacher that took the time she was also a neighbor of mine. we were always getting one another mails . So I get really upset when I heard this kind of treatment
is still going on .
It amazes me that 33 years seperate us but yet we experienced the same things in MA public schools. And yes, I also get really upset when I hear that the same old things are going on. That is why I urge parents of dhh kids (even kids who have a flair for speech) to look into everything... regional dhh programs, deaf schools since those set ups have much better support services then an inclusion placement at your local public school. Do you remember in the 70's when kids who had been previously identified as intellectucally disabled, turned out to be HOH? If an unaided HOH kid was misdx'd as ID, imagine all the energy it must take for a deaf kid to function as HOH.......and imagine how much further they could go if they had also had ASL and an excellent dhh educational support system?

Does your grandparents really say "talking deaf people" ? I think my grandma from Russia would had said the same . Your mom's memory will be worst when she is tried , can you let her rest for awhile then see if she will mind trying to learn some easy signs?
Talking deaf people?!?!? LOL. That sounds almost like those parents of oral deaf kids......I even know of a woman who says that her son " speaks with his mouth."

Talking deaf people?!?!? LOL. That sounds almost like those parents of oral deaf kids......I even know of a woman who says that her son " speaks with his mouth."
Really ?? LOL! And is the mom's brain in her butt ?

I'd love to talk, but I work on chromebook, instead of a regular PC or computer. I'll try to find some way to get Skype on my book, because it would feel so good to talk. I do have Facebook and Google+ if you can chat or hangout in the meantime.
so I use fb but only for the messenger. I haven't used it since 13. but I can find and add you if you want talk through messenger. I also have kik, if you have that.

It amazes me that 33 years seperate us but yet we experienced the same things in MA public schools. And yes, I also get really upset when I hear that the same old things are going on. That is why I urge parents of dhh kids (even kids who have a flair for speech) to look into everything... regional dhh programs, deaf schools since those set ups have much better support services then an inclusion placement at your local public school. Do you remember in the 70's when kids who had been previously identified as intellectucally disabled, turned out to be HOH? If an unaided HOH kid was misdx'd as ID, imagine all the energy it must take for a deaf kid to function as HOH.......and imagine how much further they could go if they had also had ASL and an excellent dhh educational support system?
That was happening before the 70's it was happen in deaf and hoh children when I was kid and earlier . I find it very disturbing that things were any better 33 years later .
When there are budget cuts in public schools one of the first thing to get cut is funding for students with LD.

That was happening before the 70's it was happen in deaf and hoh children when I was kid and earlier . I find it very disturbing that things were any better 33 years later .
When there are budget cuts in public schools one of the first thing to get cut is funding for students with LD.
Yeah I know. I really think there needs to be a screening before dhh kids can attend inclusion classes....Also a safety net so that dhh kids don't get placed in special ed

Yeah I know. I really think there needs to be a screening before dhh kids can attend inclusion classes....Also a safety net so that dhh kids don't get placed in special ed
Special ed was called ' reject class ' by the teachers and other students when I was in it. It was waste of my time b/c the students were given work that below their grade
so the school could say we "passed " the class and didn't have to stay back . I was bored in the class. I was the only one in my class to finish high school . The boys dropped out and worked in gas stations or drug stores soda fountain.

Um have you looked past the superfical "Leave It To Beaver" facade that AG Bell pushes? Most likely not. Have you actually dug beyond the superfical " YAY these cute dhh kids can hear and talk and are in the NORMAL world" mentality? Most likely not. I know for a fact AG Bell is terrified of their facade being broken. They portray the hearing world as some glorious utopia where dhh kids can be NORMAL and automaticly fit 100% into the mainstream. There are major major issues and downsides. As a matter of fact, one of my friends was an Oral Deaf Teen, and spoke out on the downsides on a complete oral/mainstream approach. AG Bell banned her from ever even showing her face at an AG Bell event ever again. I have a friend who has been working as a psychologist with dhh kids who are oral and mainstreamed for thirty years. She says her clients today express the exact same issues of her first clients. Do your adult deaf collealleges feel like they fit in 100% into the hearing world with no accomondations? What about socially etc? Can they function fully without their HAs or CIs for extended amounts of time?
You didn't answer my question at all. As I said, I know many deaf adults, including three who received cochlear implants as children and were in my graduate program to become auditory oral teachers of the deaf. I have many young deaf friends who are a part of the A.G. Bell community. They don't tell me any of the things you said.

that sounds like my parents and grandparents maybe but made me chuckle

You didn't answer my question at all. As I said, I know many deaf adults, including three who received cochlear implants as children and were in my graduate program to become auditory oral teachers of the deaf. I have many young deaf friends who are a part of the A.G. Bell community. They don't tell me any of the things you said.
Just b/c you know a small number of the total dhh pediatric population, it doesn't mean that you've heard all the stories. Plus how good of a friend are you? Yes, superfically they may be doing OK...but there is a breed of oral deaf teacher/ therapist who is SO enthralled with how cute the little kids are or they may mistake getting by for REALLY thriving. You do realize that social emotional development is a HUGE HUGE issue with dhh kids don't you? It's so common that Clarke School for the Deaf has it as a perrneinal topic. I also know for a fact that a formal get together proposal to help oral dhh kids SOCIALLY was posted at a dhh messageboard on Facebook. The social emotional struggles of oral dhh kids (including those who can speak well) are well documented. I have a friend who is a psychologist who has been working with oral/mainstreamed dhh kids for 30 years and she says that she is hearing the same stories. I also have a friend who is HOH. She was struggling big time socially and emotionally. She went to a Hands and Voices get together in Houston and a lady there told her and her mom that her social emotional struggles were BEYOND BEYOND common. So yes, social issues are HUGE.

Just b/c you know a small number of the total dhh pediatric population, it doesn't mean that you've heard all the stories. Plus how good of a friend are you? Yes, superfically they may be doing OK...but there is a breed of oral deaf teacher/ therapist who is SO enthralled with how cute the little kids are or they may mistake getting by for REALLY thriving. You do realize that social emotional development is a HUGE HUGE issue with dhh kids don't you? It's so common that Clarke School for the Deaf has it as a perrneinal topic. I also know for a fact that a formal get together proposal to help oral dhh kids SOCIALLY was posted at a dhh messageboard on Facebook. The social emotional struggles of oral dhh kids (including those who can speak well) are well documented. I have a friend who is a psychologist who has been working with oral/mainstreamed dhh kids for 30 years and she says that she is hearing the same stories. I also have a friend who is HOH. She was struggling big time socially and emotionally. She went to a Hands and Voices get together in Houston and a lady there told her and her mom that her social emotional struggles were BEYOND BEYOND common. So yes, social issues are HUGE.
Actually I know a great deal of the population who was implanted very young. It was a very small group of kids because it was very early. I am extremely close with several of them.

Can you show me the "well documented" information? I would love to read some recent research. The longitudinal stuff I've seen about Auditory Verbal therapy isn't saying that. They are at 25 years for one study.

Back