looks like i am going to be the guinea pig!

overthepond

Reaction score
I just got this email from my Audi, they are trying out new tests, Anyone had this test? Will reveal all tomorrow.

Hi Charlotte,

I hope you are well?

I was wondering if you would be able to help us out tomorrow afternoon, after your audiology appointment. We are trying out some equipment which we have bought to do some new tests and are looking for some volunteers to sit and listen to some sounds – we need to attach you to a computer (very similar to a test we did before your CI but this time we play the sounds through your CI instead of the headphones) and record your response to the sound.

If you need to head off then that’s absolutely fine, but I just thought I’d ask in advance, in case you are able to stay. It would just be for 30-60 mins.

It’s entirely up to you, either way.

See you tomorrow,

Sarah

Sounds very interesting. Do let us in on it after your appointment.

Why not? I thought you were curious about getting to know new sounds :giggle: I think you should do it ;)

JamieLynn

I've never been asked to participate in any testing as of yet (although I have made it clear to my audi that I wouldn't mind participating in research studies, but most of them are conducted at the University of Wisconsin-Madison where I can't get to), but I have been asked to speak on numerous occaisions about my CIs. I think you should go for it!

Did you go to the test? How did it go? I wanna know :giggle: (and details pleeezzz)

JamieLynn

Update,

Had my 6 month evaluation..... got 86% for CUNY! yay!!

Tried the BKB.... got few words but still can't make out sentences.

Had Speech/language therapy, the therapists was overwhelmed with my speech comparing to 1 year ago (pre CI), I was told that my speech would NOT improve, proved them wrong didn't i and i didn't have any speech therapy since the switch on (actually since i was 16). She tested some sentences without lipreading, got approx 20 out of 30 sentences right!! whoooo hooo... never thought i would achieve this, my Audi popped in to remind the SLT that i am the guinea pig, SLT told her about our therapy... The audi was pleased as punch as everything seems to be on the right path.

I didn't have any mapping change as the current ones seems to suit me at the moment. She did add the music program :giggle:

Right the new test they did on me as a guinea pig.... Basically it's ABR (auditory brainstem response) test but using the implant. The connections is same as ABR and using same connections as we would have done with mapping, all i had was 4 sticky electrodes on my head, processor plugged in to the computer, it reads the waves of my brain responses to the sound using the CI.
They want to see how people progress with their auditory nerve/brain stem. Pre implant i had poor responses (in their words) and today the response is very good.

Overall it had been great afternoon and i am very pleased with myself! My Audi had booked me down for 3 months time instead of 6 month, she felt that i would need another tune up sooner than 6 month.

Yay :hyper: Those are excellent news to me! Yep you proved them right! You go girl!!!!!!!!! :h5:

Such wonderful news today... but I was pretty much sure about positive news from your side anyway! :giggle:

:hug: JamieLynn

overthepond - wow great results.

I am also a research study. My doctor is improving the cochlear implant surgery and I am test study #4. Research is a long way, but hopefully it will decrease the surgeon error and surgery time. The research is already published if you google percutaneous cochlear implant study.

Sounds pretty cool to be part of a study. A great way to help those CI users to come.

Back