Looking to meet-up in Buffalo, NY

april1angel

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a hearing girl from Buffalo, NY who has been learning ASL on and off over the past few years. I took a course at Buff State with Amy Crockford and I've also practiced a lot online. Unfortunately, I only know how to sign to others, I'm terrible at reading sign and I have no one to practice with. I'm thinking of pursuing a career in which I would need to be fluent in ASL. I don't think I want to be an interpreter, but I would love to work at St.Marys or maybe at Deaf Access Services downtown. In order to figure out if this is really what I want to do, I figured I should start by connecting more with my local d/Deaf community, but I get so nervous going to the big events at the club in west seneca, so I thought I could reach out here to see if anyone would be interested in helping me out. If anyone wants to meet up or knows of any smaller events I would be welcome to attend I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hello! I'm a hearing girl from Buffalo, NY who has been learning ASL on and off over the past few years. I took a course at Buff State with Amy Crockford and I've also practiced a lot online. Unfortunately, I only know how to sign to others, I'm terrible at reading sign and I have no one to practice with. I'm thinking of pursuing a career in which I would need to be fluent in ASL. I don't think I want to be an interpreter, but I would love to work at St.Marys or maybe at Deaf Access Services downtown. In order to figure out if this is really what I want to do, I figured I should start by connecting more with my local d/Deaf community, but I get so nervous going to the big events at the club in west seneca, so I thought I could reach out here to see if anyone would be interested in helping me out. If anyone wants to meet up or knows of any smaller events I would be welcome to attend I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

there is a deaf club in buffalo. check it out: Welcome to the Buffalo Club Of The Deaf

there is a deaf club in buffalo. check it out: Welcome to the Buffalo Club Of The Deaf

Thank you, I already know about the Club and have been there for Wingo nights when I was in my class at Buff State, I just get nervous going to big events by myself when I'm still not comfortable with my signing abilities. This was more wondering if a local group had meets at a coffee shop or booked store or something.

Getting Involved

Hi! I also just recently moved to Buffalo and am also looking into learning more ASL and attending more events. Though I do feel a bit discouraged going alone. Perhaps we could meet up and go to a couple events together. It would take some stress off and we could hit up some local coffee shops and practice together. I don't really know anyone here as I am not a student so having someone to attending meetings and events with would be awesome! Would you be interested?? I know its been about 3 months since the original posting...

Back