Looking to help fellow deaf addicts

Well, there have been many times when I've wondered about the services offered for the Deaf and HOH, regarding drug/alcohol addiction, same as for mental health, depression, etc....

Had a very bad experience years ago, when I was deeply depressed, and seeked out some help. Was referred to the Mental Health Clinic, where there was a Lady who was hearing and only knew very little ASL....She told me the reason "why" I was so depressed, was because of my deafness...and believe me, I left that office and never went back...My deafness was not a factor with what I was dealing with.

I do have a hearing friend who is in drug rehab....I visit her once or twice a month to see how she is doing, and I did ask her if any deaf were there....and she did say there was a severely HOH man in there who wore aids....but no one in there knew ASL...so it's my guess he's not getting the right treatment for his alcohol abuse. Since my friend does know some ASL, she does talk to him, but cannot keep up with the program and signing to him in ASL.

We have treatment for the deaf they do have to fly out of state to go but if they cannot then they need to get an interpreter. Where is this tretment facility?

In Vancouver, Washington we have four hearing Na meetings that are ASL interpreted and we have out patient for the deaf. We accept deaf people inpatient and they will be given an interpreter. We have a deaf men oxford house and are looking to do more expanding. Those who needs help or knows anyone that needs help please contact me on Facebook. c.beierle@yahoo.com Drug addiction is not fun but recovery is :)

We have treatment for the deaf they do have to fly out of state to go but if they cannot then they need to get an interpreter. Where is this tretment facility?

J'ville, Florida....and I question if someone who has a drug or alcohol addiction could afford to fly out of state for help unless their parents helped them....Next time I go visit my friend, I will ask the front desk what is being done for the deaf there (if anything), or where they would be referred to, or if they call/allow intrepretors for the daily classes they have there.

Please pardon my post from earlier, was not certain what direction you were headed with this.

I am not an addict, save for a few vices. I do live in washington. I deal with some other issues where the deafness is completely misunderstood.

I wish you good luck in your endeavors. I do believe there are more groups in your area, I have yet to find one on this side of the mountains.

Hi, my name is Christina and I am an addict. I am involved in NA aand would love to reach out to the other deaf addicts. Many mtgs are not interpreted though we do have three mtgs interpreted in out area. How are you guys doing it?

Not many people have turbo addicts. They're too busy driving, working on, or fixing their cars that has turbocharged engine. So therefore, I'm sooooo alone. Ohhhh well.

@ dereksbicycles, tell me about it ! Not the turbo's, but the 4x4's for me and believe it or not, a mountain bike (Giant, Reign 3) not cutting edge, but I have not ridden much since the skull thing. Still sorting that out.

@ dereksbicycles, tell me about it ! Not the turbo's, but the 4x4's for me and believe it or not, a mountain bike (Giant, Reign 3) not cutting edge, but I have not ridden much since the skull thing. Still sorting that out.

My uncle used to have a 1966-1977 Bronco. My Grandpa had a 1979 Cherokee, 1988 Grand Wagoneer, and then a 1989 Grand Wagoneers. I've had some XJ Cherokees myself, but I'm more of a full size Jeep(FSJ) fan. I would prefer a full size Jeep over a baby Jeep. I've had my share of FSJ Wagoneers and Cherokees. Don't have any now and would love to get back in game.

I don't really care too much about today's 4wd vehicles although I did get to drive my brother's 1998 Range Rover Land Rover last week and it was nice to drive one of those thing.

I sold my red 1977 Chevy Caprice Wagon last month. I kinda of wish I did not have to, but I did.

Everyone in Chicago loves road bikes, but I'm more of a mountain bike guy. My favorite type of bike is like Schwinn Mesa GSX. I have a Mesa GS that I bought new back in 2000. Needs work. May sell it or fix it up.

up here it would it is mountain bike or nothing. Just too much dirt/mud. Man, I do miss it through. I had a HARO freeride downhill bike but sold it after everything.

Back