Looking to help fellow deaf addicts

ChristinaB

Reaction score
I am looking to reach out to the fellow deaf addicts. Having the disease of addiction is hard to deal with alone and there is help. Please contact me when you or know another deaf addict that needs help.

Help im addicted to Sign language, i cant go with Normal oral addiction just not funky enough

I am looking to reach out to the fellow deaf addicts. Having the disease of addiction is hard to deal with alone and there is help. Please contact me when you or know another deaf addict that needs help.

Your 1st post and looking at ur profile, says you're a "college student."....Are you deaf, HOH?....In what way would you "help" and reach out to the deaf who have an addiction(s)...and what addiction(s) are you referring to?

I'm addicted to turbos. Can you help me??? Everyone here knows that I'm addicted to turbos :).

I have this thing about money................ya know, like can you get me $ 40 million or so ? I am trying to quit, REALLY, I am. But that 40 might get me over the hump till I do.

Oh.............wait............crud your right RR, I got the java addiction BAD !!!!!!!

Man, I'm a two time loser

anonymity maybe key in AA, NA and other 12 step programs, yet one post by a complete unknown, is, well, redundant.

I'm a friend of Bill W. :wave:

Attachments

• Bill W on Harley.jpg
    Bill W on Harley.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 4
Oh.............wait............crud your right RR, I got the java addiction BAD !!!!!!!

Man, I'm a two time loser

Well, dang it all!....we all need therapy!...What's the address of the OP's office?...(gotta fill up my thermos full of hot java before taking off)....Oh!...found the address!...it's 100 Buggs Bunny Avenue, close to Beetle Baily Road, Intercourse, PA.

That is one radical bike!! What is the statistic on that??
that is Alcoholics Anonymous founder Bill Wilson and his wife Lois on their Harley Davidson in the 1920s

Bill Wilson's side car motorcycle looks very much like a pre 1925 Harley Davidson with factory sidecar . Most likely it was a 1924 74 cubic inch model painted olive drab with red trim. They only came in one color in those days. It featured stick shift, no rear suspension, spring forks and no front brake.

source

source of photos

this one is Lois Wilson, again in the 1920s

Attachments

• Lois_on_Harley.jpg
    Lois_on_Harley.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3
Your 1st post and looking at ur profile, says you're a "college student."....Are you deaf, HOH?....In what way would you "help" and reach out to the deaf who have an addiction(s)...and what addiction(s) are you referring to?

Well, I am HOH and I am also an addict. I understand the needs of what an deaf addict needs. Drug and Alcohol treatment helps but its the needs that we need outside of treatment, such as meetings, when we do service work and etc. Those things keep us clean. I am vice chair of Outreach and Translations and we help isolated groups and people that have an addiction but there is a language barrier. Though I could help more if they were in the Washington area but deaf addicts in other states, I am willing to see what I can do.

anonymity maybe key in AA, NA and other 12 step programs, yet one post by a complete unknown, is, well, redundant.

I'm a friend of Bill W. :wave:

Yes, I am involved with NA, since you are deaf, can I ask you where you live? Are your meetings interpreted?

That is one radical bike!! What is the statistic on that??

Hi, my name is Christina and I am an addict. I am involved in NA aand would love to reach out to the other deaf addicts. Many mtgs are not interpreted though we do have three mtgs interpreted in out area. How are you guys doing it?

Yes, I am involved with NA, since you are deaf, can I ask you where you live? Are your meetings interpreted?

I live in north eastern pennsylvania. no meetings in my area are interpreted, yet to see one with a terp (I do not sign anyway). I read lips the best I can. taking in whatever I can.

edit: the closest interpreted meeting is 90 miles.

Well, there have been many times when I've wondered about the services offered for the Deaf and HOH, regarding drug/alcohol addiction, same as for mental health, depression, etc....

Had a very bad experience years ago, when I was deeply depressed, and seeked out some help. Was referred to the Mental Health Clinic, where there was a Lady who was hearing and only knew very little ASL....She told me the reason "why" I was so depressed, was because of my deafness...and believe me, I left that office and never went back...My deafness was not a factor with what I was dealing with.

I do have a hearing friend who is in drug rehab....I visit her once or twice a month to see how she is doing, and I did ask her if any deaf were there....and she did say there was a severely HOH man in there who wore aids....but no one in there knew ASL...so it's my guess he's not getting the right treatment for his alcohol abuse. Since my friend does know some ASL, she does talk to him, but cannot keep up with the program and signing to him in ASL.

I live in north eastern pennsylvania. no meetings in my area are interpreted, yet to see one with a terp (I do not sign anyway). I read lips the best I can. taking in whatever I can.

edit: the closest interpreted meeting is 90 miles. It must be hard!

Back