Looking to be an Interpreter

bridgek

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could offer some advice. I will give a little history about me first. I have always loved sign language. I fell in love with it at a young age, but it was hard for me to find classes. Well went through high school and just didn't put 2 and 2 together to figure I could make that a career. I didn't even realize it until my husband joined the army and it moved us to Georgia. I started taking ASL classes from a local interpreter who teaches classes. I have been in her classes for almost 2 years now. I keep taking them over so I can practice and you always learn something new. I go to as many deaf functions as I can with a husband in the military and having 2 small children. My husband is good about letting me go as much as I can. I went to silent weekend (sign language immersion) in November. I did that as a test to see if I would be comfortable enough to go on. I loved it so much and learned a great deal. I have read posts on here about the ethics and stuff. Some of the things I know I would be ok and I think I strong enough to try to limit the assignments if I don't think I could be a neutral person.
Anyways my dilemma, I have been searching for schools with interpreting training programs. I found one that has an associates degree online (it is big Deaf community where this school is). I know it wouldn't be as great to actually going to a campus. My problem is with my husband in the military we are suppose to move in the future. I would like to be able to stay with the same school. It is expensive since we are out of state, but that is my least concern I know I try to figure that part out. I was planning doing this online and then whereever we are, to continue take ASL classes and get into the deaf community as much as I can. If where I move offers the immersion I will try to take that again. Can you offer any advise. I really want to do this. I am not worried about the money interpreters make, I want to do something that I love. Thank you.

You can do it online. It's not the best way but it is possible. I took many of my courses online. Not my preference but there was no other way. I live in the Charleston, SC, area. The only ITP in the state is in Spartanburg, at the opposite part of the state (over a three-hour drive, one-way).

Are you near Georgia Perimeter College? They have a good ITP program there. Also, they offer many good interpreting workshops throughout the year. You don't need to be a student to attend those. I usually go to a couple of those each year.

Also, check out Lifeprint ASL courses on line and aslpro.com .

Thank you for the help. I have done both those websites. I didn't do the lifeprint where you pay quite yet. I am not near Georgia Preimeter. I am in Augusta which is 2 hrs from there. Also, I am 2 hrs away from Spartanburg. It is Spartanburg that I was going to go through for the online classes. If I took ASL classes just to keep learning ASL and got into the Deaf community where we live, do you think it is possible I could pass the test? I am involved in the Deaf community here. We just found out we might be moving by this summer that is why I was seeing if the online would be worth it. My husband doesn't think the online would be worth the money. It is just hard to find schools. Thanks again for your help.

...If I took ASL classes just to keep learning ASL and got into the Deaf community where we live, do you think it is possible I could pass the test?
If you immerse yourself in the Deaf community enough, you can become fluent in ASL. However, there is much more to interpreting than just fluency in ASL.

Also, are you aware that in a couple years, a college degree will be a requirement for new candidates for certification? If you go to the RID website you can get the details.

Have you read So You Want To Be An Interpreter by Janice H. Humphrey and Bob J. Alcorn? That book will give you some insight as to what else is required for an interpreter.

... My husband doesn't think the online would be worth the money....
If you are moving in less than one year, you can still take some of your core curriculum (English, math, basic psychology, etc.) at a local college, and transfer those credits towards your interpreting degree.

The online courses are useful towards your degree only if the credits are accepted by the next college you attend. If you know where you're going next (which isn't always a sure thing in the military, I know), you could check with their admissions office to see if they would accept the credits.

About expense. Some colleges charge in-state tuition for military members and dependents, even though you are not residents. Make sure you ask about that.

I know it's a bit of a drive but if you can attend a few workshops at Perimeter I think you will enjoy them and have an opportunity to network with other students and with terps. You'd be surprised how much you can find out just by chatting during lunch and exchanging email addresses.

BTW, if your hubby drives with you to the workshops, he can do what my Hubby does. While I'm in the workshops, he tours the area. Last time, he climbed Stone Mountain. :)

It's about a four-hour drive for us, so we arrive Friday night and stay at a hotel.

I sympathize with you about military moving. Hubby was on active duty in the Navy for 21 years, and I was on active duty for seven years, and 17 years reserve, in the Navy. We're both retired now. :) But I understand how hard it can be to get a degree while moving around. It took four colleges, some distance courses, and a few CLEP tests but I finally got my degrees. :P It can be done.

In fact, I was the "guinea pig" for ITP distance learning. I was their first graduate of that program. It has been MUCH refined since I went thru it. (You wouldn't believe what I went thru during those "experimental" years!)

I know that you live in Georgia but if you decide to attend Spartanburg you might be eligible for some of this help.

SCIRT Index

Here's the GPC calendar for workshops:

Workshop Schedule

The "So You Want to Be an Interpreter" book is really outstanding. Pretty much everybody I know in the field has used that book in some way or another. It's expensive, but I would almost call it required reading if you're considering the profession.

The "So You Want to Be an Interpreter" book is really outstanding. Pretty much everybody I know in the field has used that book in some way or another. It's expensive, but I would almost call it required reading if you're considering the profession.
Wow, I hadn't realized how much the price increased! I'm glad I still have my dog-eared paperback copy.

Maybe she can find a copy at the library.

Thank you for your help. I am still trying to figure out what to do. I am looking for that book. I might check it out of the libary if they have it. I am still leaning toward the online for the sure fact on between the 2 places we know we will be moving to, one doesn't have any ITP close by and the other for some reason I keep looking at the school and it says it has it but I can't find the information on it. I try to go to as many workshops and things offered around here. The GACHI office here in Augusta closed for the time being so there isn't a whole lot of workshops around here right now. I still do as much to get the experince in the Deaf community. Thanks again.

bridgek- where do you live in GA? There is an interpreting training program in Valdosta, GA and one in Jacksonville, FL. I just graduated from an ITP and i have to tell you it was a great experience. It's a lot of work and takes a lot of dedication but definitely worth it. I'm not sure how online Interpreter training works, but in my program we had to do fieldwork... which was basically 160 hours a semester of getting out and interacting in the community. We had actual hands up interpreting hours, interaction hours, volunteering at deaf events.... it was where I personally did most of my learning. Plus I dont remember who posted it but in a few years RID IS going to be requiring all certified terps to have a college degree.

Anyway since i didn't do it first .. I'm Sara ;) I live in Tallahassee, FL. Just moved here from Wisconsin. Loving the life as an interpreter but also learning how demanding it is :) If you wanna chat u can email me or i'm on yahoo IM too at kikisfaerie. good luck!
Sara

... I'm not sure how online Interpreter training works, but in my program we had to do fieldwork... which was basically 160 hours a semester of getting out and interacting in the community. We had actual hands up interpreting hours, interaction hours, volunteering at deaf events.... it was where I personally did most of my learning....
Even though the lessons are online, the practical work (field observation, practicum, "hands on" work, etc.) is done in the local community. Local interpreters and Deaf community people sign the documents attesting the times and experiences.

Question

I believe that I have been taking sign classes from the same interpreter in Augusta, GA. I also want to further my sign language experience and have performed a search for the online IT program. The only thing I can find in Spartanburg (or anywhere else) is the community college there. I just finished my Master's degree in Management with a concentration in health care administration. Can anyone give me any direction? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

"So you want to be an Interpreter" is an amazing book. I bought it online through a deaf website. (I will try and find it) It cost me $50.00 US. I am still reading it. There are days I cant put it down. I had arrived at University off the bus and was reading it and walking... I ran into a pole lol. It is that good!

I was wondering . . .

I was wondering if you could offer some advice. I will give a little history about me first. I have always loved sign language. I fell in love with it at a young age, but it was hard for me to find classes. Well went through high school and just didn't put 2 and 2 together to figure I could make that a career. I didn't even realize it until my husband joined the army and it moved us to Georgia. I started taking ASL classes from a local interpreter who teaches classes. I have been in her classes for almost 2 years now. I keep taking them over so I can practice and you always learn something new. I go to as many deaf functions as I can with a husband in the military and having 2 small children. My husband is good about letting me go as much as I can. I went to silent weekend (sign language immersion) in November. I did that as a test to see if I would be comfortable enough to go on. I loved it so much and learned a great deal. I have read posts on here about the ethics and stuff. Some of the things I know I would be ok and I think I strong enough to try to limit the assignments if I don't think I could be a neutral person.
Anyways my dilemma, I have been searching for schools with interpreting training programs. I found one that has an associates degree online (it is big Deaf community where this school is). I know it wouldn't be as great to actually going to a campus. My problem is with my husband in the military we are suppose to move in the future. I would like to be able to stay with the same school. It is expensive since we are out of state, but that is my least concern I know I try to figure that part out. I was planning doing this online and then whereever we are, to continue take ASL classes and get into the deaf community as much as I can. If where I move offers the immersion I will try to take that again. Can you offer any advise. I really want to do this. I am not worried about the money interpreters make, I want to do something that I love. Thank you.

Which college online is that? I am in school for the same thing, I live in Virginia. There aren't enough decent programs to go around. I started at this school I am at now, wanting at least the certificate in Interpreter training, and then they discontinued it, but didn't tell me until after I had done all of the testing and financial aid stuff.

So anyway . . . There are only like, 3 schools here in Virginia, and I am trying to figure out which one of 2 of them I want to go to. But I did see that Spartanburg Community College is an online program for Interpreter trainining. Thats in South Carolina.

But, I guess I should get to some advice. My advice to you is to check all of your local community colleges, that is where it is offered here in VA. And I would totally go for it, because there are not enough interpreters out here, as well as enough people with love for Deaf culture.

Good luck!

want online interpreting program?

Go to DO IT Center Home and you will find you can get a batchlor'd degree online at the university of colorado. In the summer you actually go there to the university for indepth immersion.

Thank you everyone for your responses!!!! I am sorry I haven't gotten back. We ended up moving and it has been so busy. I had decided to enroll to the online ITP program through Spartanburg Community College in Spartanburg SC. I am taking two classes and they are intense that is for sure. My class we are using the book everyone recommended and it is a good book and full of information. I am glad I am going through it.

Back