Looking for Work Help

ClearSky

Reaction score
I have applied to some grocery stores, walmart, and other stores like wal-mart supercenter. Wal-Mart is not hiring full-time. The grocery stores have not called me. Most of them are now using online applications. I applied to a family restaurant and got a call. What an annoying experience. The lady hung up the first time, then I told relay to tell them I am hearing impaired to ask to speak to the people I was told on my answering machine. Anyway, I got the manager and he asked what jobs I could do. I said cook or busser. He gave me an interview. Right before leaving I wasn't sure if the location was the one I had in mind, so I called and this stupid lady said, "yes" (wasn't the location I mentioned to her) and I got there only to be told by the manager that he was at another location. I think I know who it was when I got there and told the manager that she wasn't honest with me. I don't know if she will get discipline but whatever. So the manager and I talked about cook and bussing tables. He said that cooking is too crazy and bussing I will have to attend to people like host or whatever. They're not hiring full-time anyway, but basically it seems they want you to perform more than two jobs. Why can't a busser be a busser, a cook be a cook?! I tried to get a job mixing/baking cookies, but they also need to attend to people. It's at a mall and it's noisy.

I hate phones when you have to call back to set up an interview because ignorant people are rude. I wish the relay would have a better way of telling people who they are. I also hate the fact to have to travel to a bunch of places wasting gas to ask for a job, so I prefer phone.

Anyway, I am trying to look for food service work or grocery--you know to earn money!!

Could you help by letting me know if places like McDonald's is possible to read purchases from the little tv or you just make sure things are stocked? McDonald's not the usual place I'd ideally want to work in, but anyway, what do you suggest for work for money?! Full-time?

These are not forever jobs, but I want to take classes at a technical school plus have money for myself!

Sorry about my grammar, I am better than that, but I am tired!

Do yourself a real favor. Go to college and get a real job in the real world. Those kinds of low paying jobs are for people with petty excuses. They are fine when you are a teenager but now you are an adult and it is time to take a real man's job plus you will be much happier with the paychecks you are bringing home and be real glad about having gone to college. Vocotional Techninal schools are a very good start there as you can earn about $12-$15. an hour compared to the peanuts pay of $5.00 an hour at McDonald's etc.

Currently I'm working at Wal-mart fulltime and I'm nearly 12 buck an hour and will be going over once I get my evaluation done in couple of months. Health, Clearsky was asking for merely a little help on this thread and you told him/her to go straight to college, he doesn't care if he found a job as long it can carry him/her for couple weeks or months until he/she found a better job with a technical schooling or something. Could you get off your high horse?

I used to work in wal mart at night shift from 11 pm till 7:30 am for 3 yrs and I left and got another job till got layoff. Right now I am looking for a job. which is not easy to find a job.

Sometimes you may have to try and work two part-time jobs, as this might be to your advantage, that is if the two positions holds no relation to the other (meaning: being a 'cook', and the other; a 'gas station attendee', etc.) which gives you a bit of flexibility (shows you have experiences not only in one field, but a few ;) ) when it comes to finding something later and working full-time. If possible and if you're up to it, attending a community college part-time on the side, might also help you even if it will take you a bit longer to earn your degree/diploma....

Whatever it is that you end up finding or doing, wishes you all the best and hopefully you'll find something real soon! Good luck!! :thumb:

Heath, I know you're really embarrassed for deaf people who don't do better for themselves right away, but this is my life. You have no idea what I have been through or what I am planning to do for my future, and I am not going to go into details here. I stated I need a job to earn money because I need money. I have accepted to take jobs that may not be the ideal one because I find it hard when I limit my choices. There may be people who are working low wages for lame excuses, but it's not everyone who does. Oprah did a show about this issue of having misconceptions about people who work jobs of low-wages that I missed mostly of it. I wish people in the world weren't so judgemental or they wouldn't have people prepare their food or someone to pick up your garbage. I am planning to go to a technical school in awhile, and there is a posibility that the classes I take may not be covered by FAFSA or VR--SO, I want to be prepared. In fact, I did go to college until I felt different. I am not ready for college at this point, and I am not closing off college either.

It's true that working different jobs shows you have experience in different situations because I have a cousin who took jobs from car wash, theater attendant, photo lab technician and working in a real estate answering phones-who knows what else. She now has a great job as a receptionist while attending school. I figure it's her background experience that got her where she is today. Sometimes you have to take the "crappy" jobs to get into a better place. Only you stay there if you don't think better of yourself. There might just be a lesson here.

Thanks to everyone else who responded.

DeafMonkey, I hope you find a job. Read a few posts below this one about applying to different stores no matter what from morning until afternoon as if it was your full-time job. If you are doing this, keep it up! Try to find ways to describe your being laid off better if you can or exclude it if you can. Searching online on how to describe this might give you insights.

This is not that simple...

My husband isn't having any formal college degree and not even a GED high school degree but he learned to develop financial dindependence skills!

so let me tell you about his experience:
he has his own business. I pushed him to do his own business
he never got high school diploma at first he used to work in low paying jobs like stock boy in stores then manager in stores. He got jobs motsly from warm contact friends. Before 2000 it was not so bad could still find jobs. eventually he learned locksmith and home improvement as an intern. He went to school for locksmitting. He got job as manager in furniture ordering company. He take care of mail and money and fix minor fixes for furniture.
then after sept 11 he lay off, same time we were already in a new house just moved in. he was jobless. the bank almost took over our house thankfuly we could sell it fast.
And move to a 1 bedroom apt. (but thankfully we live in a 3 bedroom house NOW!) my husband kept looking to be hired. he went to over 200 places in an attempt to be interviewed.
He knocked on doors of workplaces. nobody wanted to interview him. If he tried to call with relay, everyone hanged phone on him. I told him, come on, why others have business and not you. you are smart you have skills be your own boss! He started to offer his servies to people as home improvement
One time He got hired in construction company.
But it didn't work out as the boss wanted him to speak on cellphone to communicate all time then got lay off AGAIN.
My husband wanted the security of being hired work 9 - 5 and having stright pay not the ups and downs of independent business. but I told him you need to be independent so you are not fired as useless trash and get lost
slowly he built his reputation. and learned to be independent
He is having his own home improvemnt company. I make ads for him to post. Like flyers to put on community boards. he addes services like making closets
He realizes that without the 'security' of having a job he can eventauly make better living!
All of his brothers (hearings) who had no college make good living supporting their big families. Each one creative idea how to do it.
Sara Kohn: and aren't working so many hours like the college educated workers
my husband got much better confidence after he read the book rich dad poor dad. You must read this book!!! Great info!

As about me, I am in my own journey toward financial independence. i guess I will tell you other time as you get to know me... (I am new here in this message boards)

I understand the frustration. There will always be frustrations in the work place. It's not your fault.

They deal with people who are worse than you. Some people are ignorant and call repeatedly with complaints like, "Why won't you hire me!?" or "When are you going to call me?" These calls might occur so often and so early that it annoys the hell out of them.

It's usually best to wait a week after applying for when you can call them and kindly ask them on the update of your application. A good question would be something like, "I applied last week and wanted to know if there was any update on my application." That question is neutral and a week is a significant amount of time to wait before asking.

Some people are impatient and call the next day or a few days later. Some people who call ask one-sided questions.

Ah, I read that book a while ago (Rich Dad, Poor Dad) and it was very inspirational. A lot of the stuff said in the book made sense. It's good being my own boss. :thumb:

Could you help by letting me know if places like McDonald's is possible to read purchases from the little tv or you just make sure things are stocked?
Yes, you can actually read the orders from the screen and prepare food. I used to have a very good friend who was deaf and he worked at Mickey D's for many years, and he was a cook who depended on the screen to prep food.

Ah, I read that book a while ago (Rich Dad, Poor Dad) and it was very inspirational. A lot of the stuff said in the book made sense. It's good being my own boss. :thumb:

Yes, I have read that book some time ago and love that book. No wonder that it was in the NY best seller for a long time. I'll read it once more soon.

It's something else quite important that many people didn't realize or learn before. It just makes sense and is inspirational like you said. Schools and some colleges should teach like he teaches although several schools did start and hope more will follow.

That's why I work on my own instead working for somebody or government. It's much more comfy and reward to work on your own yet quite challenge sometime, but I love it... time and financial freedom is the better way overall.

Recommend it!

Not easy looking for work

I know it isn't easy finding a job when your hearing impaired. It took me almost 2 years to find a job after losing my job of 20 years. I was devestated to say the least. With my hearing aids and phone ampliphier I "get by" on the phone interviews and usually made it to the in person interviews... but I always felt that I didn't get the jobs because of my hearing problem, because I was extremely qualified for the jobs I applied for. I finally accepted the first job that was offered to me out of desperation.... I so desperately want a better job, but it is hard to find a office job that doesn't require phone duties... ugh!

What is the update , did you find a job are you also going to school? I work at Kohls Dept Store. You may want to check that out. I work as full time supervisor in 4 different depts. So let you know check that out as part time or full time. I do wish you good luck:bowdown:

Back