Looking for thoughts on Cochlear Implants

K2Spy04

Reaction score
I am currently in college and i am taking my second semester of sign language. I have been asked to give a presentation on Cochlear Implants. I have been able to find scientific information and all that fun stuff on what they are and how they work, but i really want to include information in my presentation on how the deaf community feels about CI's. I have found a little bit of information about what doctors who perform the operations say, but i dont believe it all and i want to find out first hand how CI's are viewed. If anyone would be willing to help me out here i would really appreciate it. If you could post back here or email me at K2Spy04@yahoo.com that would be great. Thank you for your time and i hope to hear from a few people soon.

There's alot of threads here at AD, under Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants forum provides some answers to your questions, Feel free to check them all out. ;)

You are welcome to read my CI experience blog at http://bionicgal.blogspot.com - mind you this is just *my* experience and doesn't reflect on the entire deaf community as a whole, but there is a lot of information there as well as links to other informative sites, and some other blogs.

I think the old threads should give you a good start at seeing all the various sides of the issue.

However, I would caution you about the thread with surgical photos. It's a good example (IMHO) of the kind of FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) that is often used to discredit CIs. If you look at pictures for any other surgery - for example, tympanostomy, which is very minor - they will look very similar. It's essentially a scare tactic.

Doesn't mean that the anti-CIs (or, anti-children-getting-CIs, or anti-babies-getting-CIs) camp is wrong (that would be argument from fallacy); but this particular argument is nothing more than demagoguery.

ismi said:
I think the old threads should give you a good start at seeing all the various sides of the issue.

However, I would caution you about the thread with surgical photos. It's a good example (IMHO) of the kind of FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) that is often used to discredit CIs. If you look at pictures for any other surgery - for example, tympanostomy, which is very minor - they will look very similar. It's essentially a scare tactic.

Doesn't mean that the anti-CIs (or, anti-children-getting-CIs, or anti-babies-getting-CIs) camp is wrong (that would be argument from fallacy); but this particular argument is nothing more than demagoguery.
I agree. My daughter had CI-surgery on both sides at the same time. She never wore a bandage around her head, only plasters. The scar was 4cm long. She was out of surgery within 4 hours, a bit miserable for another 2 and was playing on a tricyle after another 2 hours. The only painkiller she got after surgary was 1 paracetamol.
Of course it's surgery, of course there are risks, but take it from someone who has been there with his baby-girl, it's not a major surgery any more.

Important with all information regarding Ci is to add a date. Elija's pictures are from 2001. Comparing it with my daughters operation, the care after the operation (click on "next at the bottom of the page) is simplified, indicating a less intrusive operation.

K2Spy04 said:
I am currently in college and i am taking my second semester of sign language. I have been asked to give a presentation on Cochlear Implants. I have been able to find scientific information and all that fun stuff on what they are and how they work, but i really want to include information in my presentation on how the deaf community feels about CI's. I have found a little bit of information about what doctors who perform the operations say, but i dont believe it all and i want to find out first hand how CI's are viewed. If anyone would be willing to help me out here i would really appreciate it. If you could post back here or email me at K2Spy04@yahoo.com that would be great. Thank you for your time and i hope to hear from a few people soon.

The audists are laughing their way to bank profiteering from this barbarian market. They have been trying to get the cream of the crop (babies) to do more implanting.

Heck! It is only expensive hearing aid and it does not benefit us at all. It is not a miracle. It is another form of quackery like I have said that for the past 20 years!

It appears to help only those who had hearing before, but for those profound deaf like me...

it is like pulling wool over eyes.

Accept what the man upstairs have given us and if he wants us to be Deaf, so be it!

A true test of our wills is by learning to live with our deafness. There is no ticket to escape from Deaf world. We are happier with our proud culture and language.

Open your heart and mind to our proud Deaf culture!

Then it is key to being accepted of your cultural identity.

Win or lose some!

This is how life is.... be happy or not...

=^) :cheers:

Deaf Images said:
The audists are laughing their way to bank profiteering from this barbarian market. They have been trying to get the cream of the crop (babies) to do more implanting. That, or they are actually providing miracles letting babies hear and grow up with close to normal communication!
Heck! It is only expensive hearing aid and it does not benefit us at all. It is not a miracle. It is another form of quackery like I have said that for the past 20 years!So you haven't grown or learned in the last 20 years. Newsflash: it's totally different and it has huge benefits.[It's COLOR]

It appears to help only those who had hearing before, but for those profound deaf like me...it is like pulling wool over eyes. Yes, keep believing your own nonsense.

Accept what the man upstairs have given us and if he wants us to be Deaf, so be it!Ah, the source of it all. He gave us.... CI-operation.

A true test of our wills is by learning to live with our deafness. Learning to live... yes, that's another option. There is no ticket to escape from Deaf world. HA's and CI.We are happier with our proud culture and language.We-who?

Open your heart and mind to our proud Deaf culture!Deaf culture is a beautiful culture. I love sign, it's a beautiful way to communicate. - Sorry, what's your point?

Then it is key to being accepted of your cultural identity.Or grab the opportunity and experience both cultures.

Win or lose some!

This is how life is.... be happy or not...

=^) :cheers:
HAPPY.

Deaf Images said:
Heck! It is only expensive hearing aid and it does not benefit us at all. It is not a miracle. It is another form of quackery like I have said that for the past 20 years!

It appears to help only those who had hearing before, but for those profound deaf like me...

How do you explain implanted children (like Cloggy's 3 year old prelingually deaf daughter) who can use a phone, listen to music, and carry a conversation with people not even in the same room, or without looking at them?

A true test of our wills is by learning to live with our deafness. There is no ticket to escape from Deaf world. We are happier with our proud culture and language.

If you are born into the deaf culture I can see the validity of that arguement but 90% of deaf people are born to hearing parents. Their culture is that of their familes.

Then it is key to being accepted of your cultural identity.
Being born deaf doesn't automatically make you part of a deaf culture anymore than an American child being born in Australia makes him Australian. You LEARN about the culture if you are so inclined, but its not an automatic thing and its not a requirement to live a full and happy life.

After all is said and done, if somebody is happy within the deaf community/deaf culture I'm thrilled for them - but a deaf person doesn't HAVE to be involved with it in order to be happy. Involvement with the deaf community can come later (though I think its a good idea, its not manatory,) and I believe that even if children are implanted they should learn sign language.

Not any ONE solution works for everyone.

Granted, Deaf Images.

What about those NOT in the deaf community. IE: deaf children born to hearing families?

Back