Looking for technology assistance

jg1876

Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm a hearing impaired individual who has used a hearing aid most of her life. Unfortunately, I had another round of SSHL which officially brought me to the side of not really getting much out of my hearing aid, whereas before I had a robust listening and hearing experience. What I really need now is some solutions to help me adapt to my new circumstances.

Specifically:

1) I do not have a landline - I have seen CapTel, but that seems to require a landline. Are there any apps I can use that will caption what someone on the other line is saying? I used to be able to converse directly, but I can no longer hear on the phone. I use an iPhone and only an iPhone.

2) Are there any driving aids or tips you can recommend? I'm used to playing music during my drive and being able to hear horns honking. I've always been consistent about using my mirrors, but I'm wondering if there are any other things I should be doing.

3) What other tips for someone who was hearing terrifically with a hearing aid two days ago and now can barely just make out voices from other background noise but not actually understand them without lipreading would you recommend?

It's been a fun, disorienting, and chaotic 36 hours. Help and advice is much appreciated.

First I would check with either audiologist or doctor to make sure there isn't any wax build up in either your ears or hearing aids or if there is anything else causing your issues on a temporary basis.

I think there are apps similar to captel. There may also be some captel type services that you can use exclusively online but I'd google that to be sure...

Driving tips-- no idea. There is this: http://www.rfsiren.com/Home.html but I rely on my vision mostly to catch things going on in my environment. Hm will have to bookmark this site at least.

As for driving, I can only say: Now that you've lost one faculty, it will be necessary to hone more to perfection the ones you have left and you will be among the safest drivers in the world.....:P but true, I think.

Innocaption is a great app for the iPhone for captioned calls. You'll be given your own innocaption number that you'll have to share to receive captioned incoming calls, but it works great! And it's a real live operator doing the captioning, not an automated set up. There are other CapTel type of apps available too (from Sprint, Hamilton, etc.), but I like Innocaption the best.

As for driving, just continue to use your eyes as always, being aware of your surroundings.

Innocaption is a great app for the iPhone for captioned calls. You'll be given your own innocaption number that you'll have to share to receive captioned incoming calls, but it works great! And it's a real live operator doing the captioning, not an automated set up. There are other CapTel type of apps available too (from Sprint, Hamilton, etc.), but I like Innocaption the best.

I really agree with cdmeggers! I first tried the CapTel version from Sprint and it turned out that you need a faster connection than they first thought you did. Since they use VOIP you also need a very stable connection.

I was satisfied with the version of CapTel from Hamilton once there was a carrier that provided simultaneous voice and data in my area.

Then InnoCaption became available. I like them the best! Their speed and accuracy seems very good and it is much easier for receiving calls. The only problem I have run into, and it can almost be worked around, is that of where their numbers are from. Since I started with them and currently their numbers have a California area code. I happen to be in an area of Southern Illinois where landlines are still very, very common. The California area code results in calls from landlines here to the number I have been given by Innocaption being a long distance call and the extra charges associated with that.

My phone is a low end Android being used on a MVNO that uses AT&T towers.

Back