looking for some workplace advice :)

Namaste

Reaction score
Im looking for some advice. I work in a retail setting and I want my supervisors to be aware that im hoh, but im really not the type of person to take someone aside and tell them the "situation" because the last thing im looking for is pity, and i dont feel like its that big of a deal. A few people in my life have told me i really should let them know, and i was wondering what you guys' opinion would be. The main reason im looking for a non-chalant way of telling people is because a lot of time people think im ignoring them or in a really bad mood or something but i all reality im having an amazing day! XD Though i think the supervisor i work closest with has an idea that my hearing is bad but i dont think she really has a clue lol any input would be much appreciated though :)

What would be the harm in telling those you work with, "don't ever think I'm ignoring you, I'm just a little hard of hearing?" It doesn't sound like you are a person who ignores people, or wants to. It also doesn't sound like a statement from someone who is looking for pity.

My work career, and I guess I'm still in it, didn't always have much to do with interacting closely with people. I was just telling my son about the only time I was a white-collar worker. He was too young to remember. I wasn't wearing hearing aids then (mid 20's) and I was getting along okay with clients and fellow workers. Then, I went back to farming.

Later, I worked in wholesaling ag products. The work was essentially in 3 parts - warehouse work, delivery & sales. By then (40's) I was wearing hearing aids but getting along well with them - except for the telephone! I was their "fireman" and would work in all departments as needed. The only way to move up the career ladder was to get into sales - unless I bumped off one of the managers. Essentially, I worked in sales 1 day. Hey, it wasn't my idea!

The general manager was filling in that day when they were short-handed. She decided that was a good day for me to handle telephone sales. I knew the products and had been working with them for about 10 years.

Luckily, she wasn't in on any of my calls. Unfortunately, she learned of how balled-up I got orders. Too much get it down/get it done now thinking on my part. Happily, I wasn't called in on the carpet. Unfortunately, it left me doing much too physical of a job. After a few more years, I went back to farming.

It seems to me that if you want to work where you interact with people, those who work with you every day and those who rely on your performance would best know about any difficulties you may have. You must know that everyone have somethings that don't always work just right for them. Teams work together and that should be what a business is all about.

Thats very good advice, and i completely agree with you. What tends to make me want to just keep it to myself is when in the recent past ive told a couple of my coworkers and some of them, i dont get it, but it seems they dont take it seriously. On three occasi ons i can recall at this one job when ive told someone theyve said something along the lines of "oh yeah, my hearing isnt great either.." and so on. My right ear has severe loss and my left has moderate so i miss a lot of whats going on when working with a team of 6-10 people, but many times we are working in pairs so i feel so much more comfortable. I just want to be taken seriously, but i dont want the other reaction of over worrying about me and thinking i constantly need help. I definitely see what you are saying though, and i think most of my supervisors will be understanding and not react in the way my coworkers do, though they are the people i work with most and i wish they realized what its like, the supervisors already value me enough as a worker to realize that its not a big deal, i just dont want them to suddenly treat me any different or shelter me from customers. But you're right, and i think i will tell my reporting supervisor and it will be fine, im just afraid of change, and i dont like confrontation, and the second i get an "im sorry" or a shred of pity i want to gag lol i love being me, there no need to be "sorry" haha

There you go, Namaste! I'm sure that however you decide to handle it, it will turn out okay.

What a good, positive attitude! But, maybe you shouldn't be too quick to judge your co-workers. The way we come to understand someone is by putting ourselves in their place, don't you think? If they try to do that, they'll say (and think), "Yeah, I miss things people say. I know what that's like."

Of course, they don't know what it is like, really. Not when whatever someone has said the 3rd time after they've said it is still a mystery and it is just, "Ooooh" with a couple of nods. Then, hurrying to move away from them because they may expect something, or whatever . . .

Someone who, at least, tries to understand for just a moment is likely to be someone who is just trying to understand . . . if they try a little harder, for a little longer, you'll probably charm 'em. That is, just before you have to bonk 'em on the head :giggle: .

Not all "I'm sorry" is pity. I have had it happen where I reference my hearing loss and say that I can't hear at that distance or something similar. I've then have the person say I'm sorry and move closer or speak louder doing it in a way that makes it clear that they are sorry they didn't speak in a way that was understandable to me.

Its ok when people apologize for not speaking loud enough, i totally understand that. Its when they have that look of pity and the im sorry comes out, it doesnt make me angry it just makes me feel a little awkward or like theres something wrong with me or something. Lol!

The biggest problem i seem to be having is finding an opportune moment, my job is so go go go that when something does happen in which my hearing is regarded in this, theres always so much going on i never feel like i have the chance to say something to the supervisor without literally pulling them aside and saying something. Then i feel like im pulling them aside for some major issue, and whats happened to me before is that they felt like they did something wrong and got apologetic and seemed for lack of a better term, "uncomfortable".

There are a handful of coworkers maybe 4 that ive worked closely enough with and for long enough that its come up in casual conversation. But it isnt their responsibility to inform everyone else about why i didnt hear or notice this or that, and i dont spend enough time around my supervisors for it to come out in a conversation. Point, the last thing i want is to make someone uncomfortable, but people keep telling me i should tell them. Im really not the type of person to care either way if someone knows or not, but some people are really considerate and go out of their way to help make my life easier without offending and ive never really asked for input on the topic from anyone i know.so i figure eventually the right moment will pop up, and hopefully it'll go well ;D

Kelsey

Its ok when people apologize for not speaking loud enough, i totally understand that. Its when they have that look of pity and the im sorry comes out, it doesnt make me angry it just makes me feel a little awkward or like theres something wrong with me or something. Lol!

The biggest problem i seem to be having is finding an opportune moment, my job is so go go go that when something does happen in which my hearing is regarded in this, theres always so much going on i never feel like i have the chance to say something to the supervisor without literally pulling them aside and saying something. Then i feel like im pulling them aside for some major issue, and whats happened to me before is that they felt like they did something wrong and got apologetic and seemed for lack of a better term, "uncomfortable".

There are a handful of coworkers maybe 4 that ive worked closely enough with and for long enough that its come up in casual conversation. But it isnt their responsibility to inform everyone else about why i didnt hear or notice this or that, and i dont spend enough time around my supervisors for it to come out in a conversation. Point, the last thing i want is to make someone uncomfortable, but people keep telling me i should tell them. Im really not the type of person to care either way if someone knows or not, but some people are really considerate and go out of their way to help make my life easier without offending and ive never really asked for input on the topic from anyone i know.so i figure eventually the right moment will pop up, and hopefully it'll go well ;D

Kelsey

I go through this as well since my job is also fast paced. I barely have time to speak to anyone because we're trying to "make our numbers." When people start talking, I jump right in and say "sorry, I'm kind of deaf, what was that?" You get it over with quick, they know you're not ignoring them and it's out in the open. It really shouldn't be a big deal. Most people are pretty great about it but they can't read your mind.

Laura

I go through this as well since my job is also fast paced. I barely have time to speak to anyone because we're trying to "make our numbers." When people start talking, I jump right in and say "sorry, I'm kind of deaf, what was that?" You get it over with quick, they know you're not ignoring them and it's out in the open. It really shouldn't be a big deal. Most people are pretty great about it but they can't read your mind.

Laura

That is great advice! Its true, no time to get many more words than that in haha always like, "ok you go here, you to go here, first you do this then go help so and so do that..." and so on and so forth. If she knew she would probably realize why i get super stressed on occasions, confusion overload in my brain lol. And yes most people are pretty great about it :) ive only come across an occasional person that is either uncomfortable about it or just a straight up asshole haha

Kelsey

After working for 30 years, I have found that the best thing to do is let all your bosses, co-workers, and customers know upfront that you have hearing issues.

Once people know that you have hearing issues, they are much, much more understanding if you did not respond the way they expect you to.

It may feel like you are asking for pity, but what you really are doing is educating them on how to work with you.

Of course you will have the occasional dumbass that forgets or is ignorant....

Yeah there are definitely the occasional dumbass and ignorant ass, but you are right i shouldve been upfront from the beginning. When i started the job i wasnt as comfortable or familiar with telling random people about myself, though ive had other jobs i just never really made it an issue and managed to get by. Ive been here for a year and a half now and i want my supervisors to know who i am and what my personal needs are. Im definitely gonna take Laura's advice and just do it, because ive realized the opportune moment im looking for is never going to come doing my job ;) lol! Thanks again everyone :)

Back