Looking for new career..Was guidance counselor-ears shot :) now! what?

wubbie2steps

Reaction score
I was a school counselor at an elementary school (master's degree). Let's just say that it was insanely hard and very thick with audism- (idiot principal wanted me to take notes at meetings, wouldn't get me a captioned phone,etc).. Well it became too much! The strain and effort of reading lips and making sense of sounds (especially with people who think hearing aids equal perfect hearing and struggling with little kids voices, meetings,etc) .. move back to Memphis from Texas but will return to Texas (because deaf can go to school for free just pay books) to start new career..

I know that Houston has a community college that offers massage therapy as a major but i was wondering..should i limit myself (Of course, i will be taking advanatage of the sign language interpreter courses Houston community college offers first so i can free myself of frustrations and possibly find some contact with the deaf community -There is almost no deaf community in Memphis.There aren't even captioned movies or deaf coffee chat here the deaf population is so small :mad:

It is possible- at the ripe old age of 36- to go back to school and become a veterinarian? I want something that will be a good fit for me that isn't so communication based and will be a good environment for my hearing dog.:lol: (yes i am in love with my pup!)

I lived in Austin before ( LOVED IT!) but i believe Houston has more colleges with more academic offerings- massage therapy at San Jacinto Community College, Vet Tech at Lone Star College, Dental Hygienist at U.Texas:hmm:

Perhaps I should do the massage therapy after the sign language course so I can pull in some bucks while I go to school for vet tech or dental.. Which is more deaf friendly? Veterinarian or Dentist

And I know the possibilities are limitless but I know what a strain it is to work in a communication based career and would like something a lot less challenging.. My nerves and psyche can't handle the stress of constantly "proving" my worth despite my disability. I would like to relax and enjoy my career without proving myself on a daily basis.

I was a school counselor at an elementary school (master's degree). Let's just say that it was insanely hard and very thick with audism- (idiot principal wanted me to take notes at meetings, wouldn't get me a captioned phone,etc).. Well it became too much! The strain and effort of reading lips and making sense of sounds (especially with people who think hearing aids equal perfect hearing and struggling with little kids voices, meetings,etc) .. move back to Memphis from Texas but will return to Texas (because deaf can go to school for free just pay books) to start new career..

I know that Houston has a community college that offers massage therapy as a major but i was wondering..should i limit myself (Of course, i will be taking advanatage of the sign language interpreter courses Houston community college offers first so i can free myself of frustrations and possibly find some contact with the deaf community -There is almost no deaf community in Memphis.There aren't even captioned movies or deaf coffee chat here the deaf population is so small :mad:

It is possible- at the ripe old age of 36- to go back to school and become a veterinarian? I want something that will be a good fit for me that isn't so communication based and will be a good environment for my hearing dog.:lol: (yes i am in love with my pup!)

I lived in Austin before ( LOVED IT!) but i believe Houston has more colleges with more academic offerings- massage therapy at San Jacinto Community College, Vet Tech at Lone Star College, Dental Hygienist at U.Texas:hmm:

Perhaps I should do the massage therapy after the sign language course so I can pull in some bucks while I go to school for vet tech or dental.. Which is more deaf friendly? Veterinarian or Dentist

And I know the possibilities are limitless but I know what a strain it is to work in a communication based career and would like something a lot less challenging.. My nerves and psyche can't handle the stress of constantly "proving" my worth despite my disability. I would like to relax and enjoy my career without proving myself on a daily basis.

It sounds like you're all over the place with ideas - there are no jobs "deaf friendly" only people. There are plenty of companies that would provide accommodations, but you need to be vocal and persistent. With regard to career choices and massage in particular, for the record, no one pulls in much money in that field, so be prepared for a lot of hustle and long hours. It's also a very competitive field and many people have a B.A., in addition to certification from a Massage Therapy training school. My opinion? I think you need to seriously sit down with a life coach. Veterinarian or Dentist are two radically different fields involving several years of school and training so either choice is a big commitment - financial and time wise. Are you up for that? Are you willing to live hand to mouth while going to school? I'd make the time to work with a life coach or career adviser to determine what you want to pursue for work and whether your expectations are realistic. As for age, you're never to old to pursue anything you set your mind to. Good luck.

Laura

Well money isn't that much of a problem since school is free in Texas. I had disability insurance when i had my counseling job and get a small check from them each month.. yes true! I am all over the place! It's hard to think about a new career in the middle of my life after already having a master's that i can't use...

Thanks for the "never to old to pursue anything" comment. I need the encouragement!
I'm just worried about how hard school will be this go around.. I mean i know i will learn ASL before I attempt school again but school will still be difficult

I am leaning more towards Veterinarian because it is less communication/people involved. My last job (though i was very vocal with my need for accommodations) soured me on communication based jobs. I want a career i can do past the typical retirement age if i chose to continue working.

I chose dentist or vet because they are good careers and I researched a deaf vet and a deaf dentist. I feel that after my "wasted" accomplishment of having a master's in counseling I should look for another career and not just a job. I realize both jobs will take time (anywhere from 3-5 years) but am willing to put in the time.

I just wonder which you would consider best fit for me? Thanks

Well money isn't that much of a problem since school is free in Texas. I had disability insurance when i had my counseling job and get a small check from them each month.. yes true! I am all over the place! It's hard to think about a new career in the middle of my life after already having a master's that i can't use...

Thanks for the "never to old to pursue anything" comment. I need the encouragement!
I'm just worried about how hard school will be this go around.. I mean i know i will learn ASL before I attempt school again but school will still be difficult

I am leaning more towards Veterinarian because it is less communication/people involved. My last job (though i was very vocal with my need for accommodations) soured me on communication based jobs. I want a career i can do past the typical retirement age if i chose to continue working.

I chose dentist or vet because they are good careers and I researched a deaf vet and a deaf dentist. I feel that after my "wasted" accomplishment of having a master's in counseling I should look for another career and not just a job. I realize both jobs will take time (anywhere from 3-5 years) but am willing to put in the time.

I just wonder which you would consider best fit for me? Thanks

A job that really requires little interaction with people is accounting, one of the reason so many Chinese with limited English speaking skills choose that field. I'm not a job coach and I don't know what your strengths and skills are and I'm not qualified to comment on that. This is why you really need a job coach to help you decide the best move.

I hear you about having an M.Ed. that's worthless, that's my situation too. Fortunately, I'm moving to a new federal agency that will allow for advancement and maybe the degree will factor in for higher advancement down the road. Personally, I wouldn't choose a career based on spending the least amount of time with people. I know the last person on earth I'd send my pets too for health care would not be a person that chose the field for the isolation. To be good as a Vet or Dentist, you need to be involved with people. Have you considered moving into the public sector? There's more opportunity in federal service in your state, and federal agencies are obligated by law to provide whatever services you need. Here's a link for you:

www.usajobs.gov

Don't get discouraged. There's many people who find themselves at a point where their job just isn't doing it for them anymore. My sister, nearly 50, is looking to get out of teaching because the industry is in the toilet. Imagine how she feels to live in a country like this where teachers are being attacked politically just to make a statement for the elections. My brother, also a teacher, can't wait to get out. These are hard times so whatever you do, don't jump without looking. Is there a state rehab or vocational facility near you? Make an appointment with them to discuss your options. What ever you finally decide, do it for love and enjoyment (particularly if it involves the care and well being of others). Don't choose work that just lets you be by yourself. That's the fastest way to an unhappy work life.

Laura

Laura! You are a wisdom guru! Thanks.

I do miss communicating with people SO MUCH. I am very much a people person. I just detest the exhausting effort i have to put forth to hear! Hopefully when i learn ASL i will find comfort in communicating with others and this will lead to less stress when communicating with the hearing world.

when i was a child a wanted to be a vet because i loved animals. I still do. Now i have a hearing dog i think being a vet would be a bonus for both of us. I would love doing it and the work environment would be great for my hearing dog.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSTnYJi2c1M&feature=relmfu]Local Wonders: Cookie and Andri YNN Your News Now 1 - YouTube[/ame]

I know getting back in the swing of going to school will be difficult but i think i am ready to face that challenge.. just need to learn ASL first and then I think i am ready for anything!

when i was a child a wanted to be a vet because i loved animals. I still do. Now i have a hearing dog i think being a vet would be a bonus for both of us. I would love doing it and the work environment would be great for my hearing dog.

Local Wonders: Cookie and Andri YNN Your News Now 1 - YouTube

I know getting back in the swing of going to school will be difficult but i think i am ready to face that challenge.. just need to learn ASL first and then I think i am ready for anything!

By all means, go with what you love. You don't need to wait to get fluent in ASL to study to be a Vet, that will be a learning process...and I'm sure you won't encounter the difficulty getting support devices in that way you did in your previous position. A love for animals is an absolute must for any career working with domestic or wild animals. Think about it, in the low end jobs, it's what motivates you to get out of bed each day to make a difference, and in the high end job, your passion reminds you why you're going through all the classes and training.

I would still encourage you to meet with a career counselor. It's just good common sense to sit down with someone that can advise you. At the very least, you'll have some idea what services/accommodations you can expect for the classes and internship. They may even recommend places where you can learn ASL for free or on the cheap. It's a win win situation.

Laura

As long as you know what kind of career or job you would love the most, you would be great in becoming a veterinarian.

While you are thinking about becoming one, I am wondering maybe you can try again as a guidance counselor at the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation so that you can help d/Deaf people and hard of hearing people with their decisions on what colleges or jobs that they can go to. Maybe you will get accommodations at the DVR where you can understand people with ASL and TTY/VP including ASL interpreters. I don't know your feeling on this. I am just wondering. What do you think? :hmm:

Hi,
Maybe I can help with some Veterinary College info since I was on that path.

I recently graduated from college with a B.S. degree in Animal Sciences. I took this major so that I'd have a better chance of being accepted into an accredited vet college. There are only something like 30 in the whole USA and the competition to get into so few slots is brutal. You have to have a solid science background in undergraduate studies and then take the VCAT and or GRE and score highly. Also, most vet colleges (I think may be all) require either you having been involved in a veterinary-based "project" with licensed vets/professors who will then recommend you for admission, or having extensive volunteer work under your belt with an accredited animal care or research institution like the Humane Society.

When you're accepted to vet college, it's a 4 year course of study, and to become board certified, it's another 2 years, but board certification isn't necessary to be licensed even though it's recommended. When you graduate, you take the series of licensing exams and voila!

You're definitely NOT too old in my opinion to do all this. If you have the pre-requisites, apply to every single vet school to increase your chances of getting in some where. If you don't have them, you can start now!

I think it's faaaantastic you're thinking of becoming a veterinarian. If you really really are passionate about it, don't let the number of study years discourage you if it sounds like a lot.

My best best wishes to you!!!!!!!!

If you get stuck in Memphis, I do know that check with Vocational rehab and you can get 8 free semesters of college if you qualify. They also provide notetakers. This is just if you get stuck in Memphis by any chance :)

This would be for undergrad, they don't do it for grad school :) no u are not too old hello lol! Better to find out now what you love and do it than live your life doing what you hate or what bores you. I would meet with a Lifestyle coach or career counselor first. Best of luck, you can do it :)

What about going back to school for Deaf studies and be a counselor for deaf children or adults using ASL.

If you dont want to use ASL, there are many oral deaf children and adults as well so they would know how to meet your communication needs because they are in the same shoes as you with communication issues with hearing people..

Just some few other ideas...

This was my thinking, since he had years of experience as counselor, I am sure many Deaf schools need em, and don't forget many Deaf school deals with autism as well, so he has only one step and that is learn ASL and viola opportunities opens up for him.

What about going back to school for Deaf studies and be a counselor for deaf children or adults using ASL.

If you dont want to use ASL, there are many oral deaf children and adults as well so they would know how to meet your communication needs because they are in the same shoes as you with communication issues with hearing people..

This was my thinking, since he had years of experience as counselor, I am sure many Deaf schools need em, and don't forget many Deaf school deals with autism as well, so he has only one step and that is learn ASL and viola opportunities opens up for him.

Oh definitely!

You nail it on the coffin. Why not? Deaf people need Deaf counselor.

Voc Rehab in most states do not help finance further education once the individual has a bachelor's degree. I was a school psychologist, and you have never experienced REAL audism unless you have worked in the district where I worked. More than ten years since I lost that job, I have accepted the fact that I can no longer substitute teach to my satisfaction.

I am looking at the possibility of retooling for end-of-life counseling/hospice. You know, Kubler-Ross stuff on a nitty-gritty level. I may be halfway to deaf, but I am not half-way to dead. :ty:

I had one person suggest that I work as an interpreter for the deaf, sounds like a perfect job, except I still can't hear the people that are talking :roll:. Then someone suggested that I work doing medical transcription because it's all computer work--except understanding the dictated notes.

I work in employee benefits. It's mostly online, email, computer work but I do have to give presentations for employee enrollment sessions, etc.. I just let people know that I am hard of hearing and if I can't hear a question someone always helps. I don't know how much longer I will be able to do this but for now it works.

why not try for a psychiatrist in a deaf community or even school you could always do the counseling thing in a Deaf school where everyone who works there needs accommodations Dont do what you wont love because of one bad run in

Back