Looking for good surgeon

gramgirl

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of having a Baha implant done. I lost the hearing in my left ear after Acoustic Neuroma surgery. The Dr who did the surgery was supposed to be the best around and I'm sure he is very skilled, but his bedside manner leaves much to be desired. :(
He wouldn't listen to what I was saying, and definitely didn't want to answer my questions before surgery. In short - he hasn't earned more of my dollars to do the implant.
Does anyone have someone they recommend that has done LOTS of implants?

Thanks!

First things first, like Botti said, where are youu? How are we supposed to help?

Like others have said it will help to know what area you are in. But if you happen to be near me I just got my CI last week in Ann Arbor Michigan and everyone was great.

Ron Jaxon

I am seriously thinking of having a Baha implant done. I lost the hearing in my left ear after Acoustic Neuroma surgery. The Dr who did the surgery was supposed to be the best around and I'm sure he is very skilled, but his bedside manner leaves much to be desired. :(
He wouldn't listen to what I was saying, and definitely didn't want to answer my questions before surgery. In short - he hasn't earned more of my dollars to do the implant.
Does anyone have someone they recommend that has done LOTS of implants?

Thanks!

Ooops - yes you do need to know location! I am in the Washington DC area - Baltimore is also considered "close"! If anyone knows of someone at Johns Hopkins, that would be great!

UVA done my CI and they are great :)

They pretty much do majority of deaf Virginians (as it is somewhat the center of Virginia, although Richmond is too) ... but you probably need somewhere close to you as you will be making alot of trips to do mapping.... if baha have mapping.

BAHA has no mapping, contrary to CI. It works on the same principle as dental implant : you put a screw inside the bone, not very deep, and you clip the processor like a velcro on clothes. No mapping, and the surgery is less than 1 hour.

But you need to have a good Primary Care Doctor, as you need to be assessed from any persisting pain at the screw area. Pain may sign up an infection, and a non cared infection may go inside the bone....

The usual criteria: good surgeons are in "teaching hospitals"-any near you?Isn't Johns Hopkins-Baltimore somewhat in your area? Good luck!

Advanced bionics -Harmony activated Aug/07

Please stop. Old posts are too confusing.
In fairness to drphil, he's not the only one that does that. There's currently some threads going on that were started back in 2006. Besides the previous post was only a month before his.

Not exactly used to this system re: "old threads" as there appears to be over 70 "pages"! Stop any comment say 30-60 days? I guess the "system" doesn't delete everything say over a state time frame- 3 months? Everything seems to be "current".

Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

When someone start a topic to ask a question, she/he is not around anymore to read your answer or no longer a question for her. I don't mind old posts every now and then, but if someone is going to answer every single old posts, it get confusing.

I don't mind threads like "what are you thinking about " either because it meant to be an ongoing thread.

get ahold of galludulett university they can help you find one If you was in Ohio I would recommend Dr. Kang at childrens hospital did my sons was great

Back