Looking for Feedback on my ASL

Juniperarrow

Reaction score
Hello.

I have just started learning ASL a few weeks ago.
I don't live near a place that offers classes at the moment, nor have I been able to find a native ASL signer to work with me either locally or on the internet. So, using what I have learned so far via certain internet resources, I have put together a scripted self-introduction which I then videotaped myself doing and uploaded onto Youtube.

The link is below.
There is an English transcript of what I was trying to say in the video description.
https://youtu.be/SB286TtYTuc

I realize there is probably lots of work to be done on my part as far as things left to learn but any feedback, comments, suggestions, corrections, etc would be helpful. Thanks!

Also I have a few questions~

How do you express the concept of "but"
For example:
"I currently live in Wisconsin but I used to live in Chicago."
"I am cold but happy"
"I really like this place but I also miss home."

How do you express "and" ?
For example:
"I love to eat apples, pears and bananas"
"My hobbies are playing soccer, dancing and painting."

Thanks!

Hello.

I have just started learning ASL a few weeks ago.
I don't live near a place that offers classes at the moment, nor have I been able to find a native ASL signer to work with me either locally or on the internet. So, using what I have learned so far via certain internet resources, I have put together a scripted self-introduction which I then videotaped myself doing and uploaded onto Youtube.

The link is below.
There is an English transcript of what I was trying to say in the video description.
https://youtu.be/SB286TtYTuc

I realize there is probably lots of work to be done on my part as far as things left to learn but any feedback, comments, suggestions, corrections, etc would be helpful. Thanks!

Also I have a few questions~

How do you express the concept of "but"
For example:
"I currently live in Wisconsin but I used to live in Chicago." ASL you don't always need "but" Instead use time reference. "NOW LIVE WISCONSIN, PAST LIVE CHICAGO"
"I am cold but happy" You can sign "happy BUT cold" or I HAPPY. I COLD" 2 separate ideas
"I really like this place but I also miss home." Same options as above

How do you express "and" ?
For example:
"I love to eat apples, pears and bananas"
"My hobbies are playing soccer, dancing and painting." You don't need and in this case. It's not need because it's not "English syntax"

Thanks!
Entered comments in text above. I can't do that multi quote stuff

If I could make a suggestion... when I watch your video, it looks as if you are signing in some sort of rhythm. It doesn't look like communication, it looks like some strange dance you have learned with your hands. Imagine if you were speaking English with a metronome and you could only say one syllable each time the metronome ticked. Remember that ASL isn't a translation of English, it is a form of communication that has meaning and expression.

On a positive note... if you have learned this much in such a short time, I think you will become a great signer someday. Drop your script and sign from your heart.

You should have taken a ASL class in your area with a Deaf teacher. Are you living in the city in Wisconsin? What city are you living in? That way you can learned how to express your signing and approving your ASL skill. Beside, this will help you communicate with other students and also be involved in Deaf events.

Well...you did alright...just loosen up a little...looks "so rigid"....and need a little more fluidity with your hand spelling...(loosen up ur fingers more)...know ur a beginner tho'...find ur own style...smile...and remember you're "just talking" with ur hands....just as if you're talking with ur voice....

Back