Looking for Events - NYC

DeadTurtle

Reaction score
I recently moved to NYC from Florida. While in college in Florida I took ASL 1 and 2. I fell in love with the language immediately, I began going to events called Silent Dinners at Clearwater Mall. These events were set up by members of the deaf community to help students of all ASL skill levels learn more about deaf culture and ASL than they could in the classroom. I met a lot of really nice people and made a lot of new friends. I eventually started going to TBDPHH as well.

Since moving to NYC I have been trying to find local events that are similar to the Silent Dinners in Florida. Does anyone know when or where events like this might be? I really want meet new people and make new friends as I have just moved here.

Thank you Alex, it will be good to get to know people. I actually just found an event that I will be going to tonight at Barnes and Nobles near Union Square around 6:00 PM. Apparently they meet every Friday at the same time. I'll let you know how it goes.

update:

Here is the link I found for the event, http://www.meetup.com/NYCASL/

It was a lot of fun, met some interesting people. I'll be attending next Friday as well. It starts at 6:00 pm but I end up getting there closer to 7:00 because my girlfriend gets out of work around 6:00 and she likes to go too.

What is the address for that place in NYC? I would love to attend someday

It is at the Barnes and Noble, here is the address:
33 East 17th Street New York, NY 10003

They usually sit in the dinning area up stairs.

Have you gone to the B&N Union Square thing yet or before? I get the notices but haven't been in town to go. Keep wanting to check it out, though.

Have you gone to the B&N Union Square thing yet or before? I get the notices but haven't been in town to go. Keep wanting to check it out, though.

nope never been there. never heard of it. I'm guessing it's mostly hearing students.

I've gone several times. Yes, it's mostly hearing students from beginner to advanced. There are also a few Deaf individuals who attend. For the most part, the people are very nice and friendly. I say, give it a try.

Back