Looking for books

SilverRoxy

Deaf/ASL user
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am looking for literature on hearing people's misconceptions (stereotypes) of deaf people. I am doing a study on this. It is hard for me to find sufficient information on this. :(

Ask Deaflibrarian, she seems to be knowledgable on this topic.

Have you tried Harlan Lane's work? Or Carol Padden and Tom Humphries? I'm not familiar with the topic you're looking for but these are prolific writers (re the Deaf community) and may have some relevant material.

Maybe you ought to consider writing one one day; check this thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=13870

The only book I've heard of addressing the Deaf/HOH community anecdotally is "Everyone (Everybody?) Here Spoke Sign Language". It's a history of people in Martha's Vineyard, about half of which were deaf. I have yet to read it, but look forward to doing so.

I'm sure there are published papers available. It might make dry pedantic reading, depending upon presentation (hope not!). Have you tried contacting the library at GU?

Best of luck.

At my college, we make the students read "Mask of Benevolence." It's a hard book to read, but a lot of students realise a lot through this book. Have you read it?

SilverRoxy said:
I am looking for literature on hearing people's misconceptions (stereotypes) of deaf people. I am doing a study on this. It is hard for me to find sufficient information on this. :(

I would recommend you to read a book, "For Hearing People Only" author by Matthew Moore and Linda Levitan as Dr. Harlan Lane. It is a very good book.

kuifje75 said:
At my college, we make the students read "Mask of Benevolence." It's a hard book to read, but a lot of students realise a lot through this book. Have you read it?

I checked this book out from library today. It is the only book that I could find in library.

lostintexas said:
Maybe you ought to consider writing one one day; check this thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=13870

The only book I've heard of addressing the Deaf/HOH community anecdotally is "Everyone (Everybody?) Here Spoke Sign Language". It's a history of people in Martha's Vineyard, about half of which were deaf. I have yet to read it, but look forward to doing so.

I'm sure there are published papers available. It might make dry pedantic reading, depending upon presentation (hope not!). Have you tried contacting the library at GU?

Best of luck.

GU? Georgetown University? I live in Long Island.

deaflibrarian said:
GU = Gallaudet University in D.C.

I wrote a graduate-level paper about the perceptions of hearing post-secondary students regarding Deaf and deaf post-secondary students. It was several years ago, but I can give you the list of references I used and you could follow up on that. Would that help?

YES!!! That would help alot!!

:ty:

lostintexas said:
Have you tried contacting the library at GU?

Best of luck.

Oh sorry about that! You are practically the first person who said GU in refer to Gallaudet. That's why. Gally=Gallaudet GU=Georgetown Univ

Thanks!!

Back