Looking for an interview

amclane

Reaction score
Hello! I am a student at the University of Maryland. I am writing a paper about Deafness and Deaf culture. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to do an interview for me. It would be about 10 questions in an e-mail. Please let me know if you can help - e-mail me at amclane@umd.edu or reply to this posting!

Thanks again!

Anne

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I don't know about the "interview" but maybe we can try to answer your questions in the e-mail or pm (private message) which is on the top right corner of the threads. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

same here! Just PM me, I'll get them back to you quickly. When do you need them?

I can't figure out how to PM... So you guys could just answer the questions on here. or e-mail me the answers at: amclane@umd.edu

Feel free to write as much as you want, or to opt out of any questions. Thanks for your help!!!

1. Describe your level of hearing loss, the age when it began, and any changes it has gone through.

2. Do you know sign language? If so, how/when did you learn it?

3. Is any one else in your family Deaf? If they are not, do they know sign language?

4. What is your educational history? If you did not attend schools for the Deaf, what accomodations did you or your school make?

5. What types of organizations for the Deaf do you belong to? (school, social groups, friends, advocacy groups, etc.)

6. Do you consider Deafness to be a Disability? Why or why not?

7. What specifically could society as a whole do to be more supportive, accepting, or helpful to the Deaf community?

8. Is there anything else you want people to know?

Last edited:
I can't figure out how to PM... So you guys could just answer the questions on here. or e-mail me the answers at: amclane@umd.edu

Feel free to write as much as you want, or to opt out of any questions. Thanks for your help!!!

1. Describe your level of hearing loss, the age when it began, and any changes it has gone through.

I have a bilateral hearing loss at 120 dB
I was born with it
No changes in my audiogram since birth.

2. Do you know sign language? If so, how/when did you learn it?
Yes, I know sign language.
I learned at 25 years old as a student at Arizona State due to taking it to meet the foreign language requirement. Thank god for that!

3. Is any one else in your family Deaf? If they are not, do they know sign language?
Yes, my younger brother. Yes, he is a native ASL user

4. What is your educational history? If you did not attend schools for the Deaf, what accomodations did you or your school make?
Mainstreamed and oral all the way. No accomodations at all in the classrooms. Just had a resource teacher meet with me on an one on one basis few times a week.

5. What types of organizations for the Deaf do you belong to? (school, social groups, friends, advocacy groups, etc.)
Alumni of Gallaudet University

6. Do you consider Deafness to be a Disability? Why or why not?
I dont think it is cuz I feel normal and capable of doing anything thanks to technology

7. What specifically could society as a whole do to be more supportive, accepting, or helpful to the Deaf community?
Accept our experiences and listen to us when setting policies instead of listening to other hearing people who have never experienced deafness or telling us what we need without taking our deaf needs into consideration.

8. Is there anything else you want people to know?
That ASL does NOT interfere with deaf children's ability to develop literacy skills nor oral skills. It is such an old myth!

Friendly reminder

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I don't know about the "interview" but maybe we can try to answer your questions in the e-mail or pm (private message) which is on the top right corner of the threads. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

same here! Just PM me, I'll get them back to you quickly. When do you need them?

Just a friendly reminder, PM for new members has been disabled until their posts has increased to 100 posts. :)

Just a friendly reminder, PM for new members has been disabled until their posts has increased to 100 posts. :)

:Oops: you are right, Jclarke. I should have remember the rule code to use PM until they have post 100. Sorry about that, amclane. All you can do is use e-mail like giving us your e-mail address and we will send you the questions and answers but you already done that. Anyway that is good. :cool:

Welcome to AllDeaf! :thumb:

Have you thought about making this survey as a website for people to visit?

Back