Looking for an Instructor?

loml

Reaction score
The National Cued Speech Association certifies beginning Cued Speech instructors to ensure consistent introductory training across the country. Certification as an Instructor of Cued Speech certifies the holder’s ability to present information about CS and to teach beginning level CS courses.

To became a certified instructor, one must take a Basic Instruction Workshop, pass the National Certification Exam, provide evidence of expressive Cued Speech proficiency, and be a current member of the NCSA.

For a full listing of certified instructors, please visit the professionals section of our website at http://www.cuedspeech.org/sub/ professionals/instructors.asp The NCSA extends our congratulations to the following newly certified individuals:

June 2007: Ms. Katherine Pelley, Tampa, FL
June 2007: Ms. R. Ann Siapno, Lithia, FL
August 2007: Mr. Thomas Shull, Boston, MA
August 2007: Ms. Sarah Druley, Fridley, MN
November 2007: Ms. Jane Smart, Palm Harbor, FL

http://www.cuedspeech.org/PDF/NCSA_ColorOnCue_March2008.pdf

What about receptive ability? Proficiency is needed there? How canyou terp without both receptive and expressive ability. Communication is dyadic.

It says nothing about interpretation. It says instructor. Besides, there is not interpretation necessary, there is no change in language, just the mode in which it is being communicated. This is referred to as transliteration, not interpretation.

What are you referring to with regards to receptive ability? The post says that you have to be fluent and that you are tested, that is both receptive and expressive skills.

The dyadic comment is redundant.

"provide evidence of expressive Cued Speech proficiency, " (I suggest you go back and read the post.)

And you are correct that CS does not require interpretation, but transliteration. However, the NCSA consistently and mistakenly refers to "Cued Speech Interpreters."

How, exactly, is the dyadic comment redundant?

If one is to teach, one must certainly have receptive and expressive skills, otherwise one would be unable to understand the communication efforts of the students. And if one is only tested on expressive abilities, the test is leaving out a critical component for deciding fluency.

Loml also has stated in numerous posts that voice is uneccesary int he use of CS, and without the use of voice, receptive skills, once again would be mandatory.

Funny, you claim not to be a supporter of CS, but the only time you show up on this board is after a CS thread has been started.

You have once again jumped into a post not to answer questions posed, but in an attempt to inflame. If you have reasonable and valid answers for the questions posed, please provide them.

If one is to teach, one must certainly have receptive and expressive skills, otherwise one would be unable to understand the communication efforts of the students. And if one is only tested on expressive abilities, the test is leaving out a critical component for deciding fluency

jillio - I can certainly see from the orginal post how you would assume that there is not a receptive component to the NCSA InsCert requirements. Rest assure, that receptive and expressive skills are tested for this certification process. As I do not control the content of the newsletter from which this came, I cannot explain the reasoning behind the exact contents of the article. Understand then, if you are not satisified with my comments I will direct you to correspond directly with the NCSA.

You state: originally posted by jillio
..... the NCSA consistently and mistakenly refers to "Cued Speech Interpreters."
I thank you then for bringing this to my attention. I will be sure to bring it to the Boards attention. At this time I am not familiar with the complete list of matters requiring the Boards attention, regretfully I cannot give you a concrete time frame for ratification.

Back