Look to buy used Astro

Milwaukee

Reaction score
Well I am going start from ground for business. Shuttle transposition.

I been look at minivans and HATE them. I look at Ford E150 it isn't that much better on gas They eat tires/brakes FAST. E350 I like but parts is EXPENSIVE because tires, brakes, gas, and transmissions.

Then I forgot Deafsmogtech had one here and My 2 aunts had astro.

How they reliable? It will see TONS of city traffic and HWY. Miles a year could be from 30,000 to 50,000 miles. I average 25-30K miles for personal so with business It could be MORE.

Any problem with 4.3L V6 and 4L60? What year I should avoid? I was look at 1996 or up because OBDII which I want for hook scanner to computer.

Well I am going start from ground for business. Shuttle transposition.

I been look at minivans and HATE them. I look at Ford E150 it isn't that much better on gas They eat tires/brakes FAST. E350 I like but parts is EXPENSIVE because tires, brakes, gas, and transmissions.

Then I forgot Deafsmogtech had one here and My 2 aunts had astro.

How they reliable? It will see TONS of city traffic and HWY. Miles a year could be from 30,000 to 50,000 miles. I average 25-30K miles for personal so with business It could be MORE.

Any problem with 4.3L V6 and 4L60? What year I should avoid? I was look at 1996 or up because OBDII which I want for hook scanner to computer.

Not much mechanical problems, I know you have been reading my Astro story. I agree with you for pick a 1996 and up model year buz of the OBD-II system that you can plug a scan tool, pull codes real easy than pre 1995 Astro with OBD-I. My view on the Astro's model year is you want is 2000 model year or up 2005 I think. Sequoias know. I spend my time on the Astro van repairs myself, what I replaced the components is: radiators twice, water pumps twice, tranny twice, replaced intake manifold gaskets, new "spider" fuel injection assy. Fuel pump still virgin cuz I change fuel filters regular. I still worry the aged fuel pump. I changed timing chain (found out the new timing chain is not fix the shaky engine) maybe I think it is EGR valve problem for vacuum leaking or somewhere but no time for me to diagnose. I am not worry about it. Note: I just replaced a new water pump that was not cause coolant leaking buz I replaced a new timing chain and cover then oil pan gasket and installed a new water pump. I dont reuse a water pump (about 5 years old). The engine is same OEM. Any more ??? , PM me

I know that my 1 Aunt's astro it had 100K miles then 4.3L leak coolant in oil pan. It just crank but wouldn't run. They replaced 4.3L with new one. It had 130K miles now.

I drove that astro it was pretty GOOD but not safe when it VERY WINDY on highway it more float not FIRM on road.

I was wonder how front end suspension last since we had tons tons potholes in Michigan.

I am think Astro able do this stuff.

What cause timing cover wear out? Is there way to stop that from happened?

What mileage do you see? My Aunt say she get 15 mpg hwy with non stock tires NOW with new 4.3L but claim it got 24 mpg when they got NEW Astro and drove to Florida.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Hmmm, what's wrong wth the minivans? Chevy Astro/GMC Safari are classified as minivans with rwd drive, also have awd version. Major problems with them are transmissions and some others.

You might want the shuttle van to be handicap friendly. Astro s are too high for elderly people who have trouble with their disabilities.

Last edited:

Hmmm, what's wrong wth the minivans? Chevy Astro/GMC Safari are classified as minivans with rwd drive, also have awd version. Major problems with them are transmissions and some others.

You might want the shuttle van to be handicap friendly. Astro s are too high for elderly people who have trouble with their disabilities.

That one I forgot it important. I still hate minivan they aren't that reliable for Michigan. Windstar I can't say how POS it is. It left bad taste in minivan.

Chrysler minivan I drove couple times but visibility on rear is terrible.

GM Chevy Venture I do like it but too many of them here are ROT with over 200K miles. None of them under 130K anymore.

Do you know which best minivan? It need to be American minivan.

Well, taxis use foreign minivans. What's wrong with Toyota Sienna or Honda Odessey? I know for sure Toyota Previa was one of the most reliable minivans out there. The bad side about them is engine access and a bit tall platform. It has underpowered 4 cyl in earlier models.

I know that my 1 Aunt's astro it had 100K miles then 4.3L leak coolant in oil pan. It just crank but wouldn't run. They replaced 4.3L with new one. It had 130K miles now.

I drove that astro it was pretty GOOD but not safe when it VERY WINDY on highway it more float not FIRM on road.

I was wonder how front end suspension last since we had tons tons potholes in Michigan.

I am think Astro able do this stuff.

What cause timing cover wear out? Is there way to stop that from happened?

What mileage do you see? My Aunt say she get 15 mpg hwy with non stock tires NOW with new 4.3L but claim it got 24 mpg when they got NEW Astro and drove to Florida.

Really nothing wrong with the timing chain at around 184K miles on it. The original repair was oil pan gasket that I spotted wet oil leaked on the front of the oil pan but I want to change the timing chain/cover, and water pump at the same time. I replaced all bushings in front suspension last year included ball joints. Yep, they are good gas mileage than pre-1995. I like a 2000ish Astro. I 've not see any newer Astro's mechanical problems here.

Agree. The trannies in the Astros are not alone, same as other GM vehicles such as light trucks or SUVs with small engine blocks.

Well, taxis use foreign minivans. What's wrong with Toyota Sienna or Honda Odessey? I know for sure Toyota Previa was one of the most reliable minivans out there. The bad side about them is engine access and a bit tall platform. It has underpowered 4 cyl in earlier models.

Milwaukee doesn't mention the foreign minivans.

I would but issues with families/friends they don't like ride or see foreign minivans it just pissed off them. Mostly them are retired workers from Auto factories.

They were pissed off when I bought Geo tracker which is off brand from Suzuki. I would buy another suzuki without think. It was good vehicle expect rust issues.

Reason I check Astro? I could tow trailer, TONS parts in junkyard. S10, blazer, express, and 1500 use same parts I believe.

But now I am rethink of plan so Chevy Venture should be work.

I would but issues with families/friends they don't like ride or see foreign minivans it just pissed off them. Mostly them are retired workers from Auto factories.

They were pissed off when I bought Geo tracker which is off brand from Suzuki. I would buy another suzuki without think. It was good vehicle expect rust issues.

Reason I check Astro? I could tow trailer, TONS parts in junkyard. S10, blazer, express, and 1500 use same parts I believe.

Retired auto workers from factories get pissed off? :laugh2: Sounds like Detroit metro area are pretty depressed about car stuff. It's so black and white. The problem is the companies not the customers or the employees.

Anyhow, good luck on finding a good van for your business. :)

can tow the trailer, yes they are same parts like brakes, engines/trannies etc. The bushings for upper control arms for current GM vehicles like mine, is
same part that dated back in 1960's like a 1965 Chevy Impala.

I recall I saw the 2000ish Astro cargo van with very high mileage (probably 260K miles on it) in about 3 years ago at the 76 station, when we serviced the brakes, oil changes etc as the part of maint... this van belongs to the florist shop.
Chevy Venture or Chrysler Grand Caravan is good idea for handicap transport like sequoias mentioned

I think I will look.

I wish Astro had 12 seats that be perfect but only 8 max.

Alot people here been vandal to any foreign cars most. For Detroit or Flint they will steal that foreign cars and get to chopped shop.

I think I will look.

I wish Astro had 12 seats that be perfect but only 8 max.

Alot people here been vandal to any foreign cars most. For Detroit or Flint they will steal that foreign cars and get to chopped shop.

Weird, I know one of your friend who live in Detroit and I don't heard any complains about his Subaru legacy,

Your families/friends don't make any sense to me. Some Ford/Chrylser/GM made in Canada or Mexico or Asian. Chevy Corvette and Ford Mustang made in USA (I believe) but they use German Auto Electric Parts (most bosch). Their is no such 100% made in USA anymore.

Most Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, etc made in USA. Even you can do Auto factories for them in USA. Welcome to 21st century.

Yea sucks to be in the Midwest. Most vans I find are american.

Back