Look! I got a puppy!!

Yeah, Jazzy, ask your neighbor but remember the Aussies can run from the "blue" you were describing to the "reds" in color....oh and the docked tail is a must.

Tousi said:
Yeah, Jazzy, ask your neighbor but remember the Aussies can run from the "blue" you were describing to the "reds" in color....oh and the docked tail is a must.

I second with that, Tousi.

Very cute!

He does look like a Border Collie. My daughter has an Aussie Shephard, and they are similar. Her Aussie has the blue merle coat.

Borders and Aussies are both very smart. Sometimes if you have a group of little kids in the yard the Borders and Aussies try to "herd" them into a group like sheep.

You will have a lot of fun with that doggie. :)

Do you remember the movie "Babe"? That will give you an idea of what they can do.

Tousi said:
I don't think all Aussies must have the docked tail. "Pet" Aussies don't always have the docked tail. "Working" Aussies are more likely to have the docked tail. Either way, they have real cute fluffy butts.

Reba, if that is so, wouldn't ya think the breed wouldn't be or isn't recognized by the AKC? I know dingoes, which I'v also had, aren't but theyr'e great cattle dogs.

Tousi said:
Reba, if that is so, wouldn't ya think the breed wouldn't be or isn't recognized by the AKC? I know dingoes, which I'v also had, aren't but theyr'e great cattle dogs.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Can you rephrase for me? (Excuse my denseness please)

Reba, I was just saying re: the Aussies....if the tail isn't docked and any other things that go against the grain, would the AKC NOT recognize the breed?

funny I just got a puppy yesterday...

she's a mix between a beagle and "tox" (sp?) not sure what it is but she has brown and black fur...just like a domberman, you know? and she's kind of long like a hot dog lol

she's very sweet and smart so we thought about naming her "belle" since my brother was the one who named her that thinking it's a pretty name for the dog.

and she's only about 10 weeks old now.

yes germany sheperd (sp?) and collies come in same family I have aunt who has most beautiful dog I have ever seen he is mix of germany sheperd and collie (black and brown). Everytime I come over he always put his paw on my leg want me stratch top of his paw.

Tousi said:

Jordan is border collie and I wish I could paste her pix here. I thought all border collie has blues eyes but they do have brown eyes.

Reba's link shows my neighbor's dogs were Aussies.

Steel said:

she's a mix between a beagle and "tox" (sp?) not sure what it is but she has brown and black fur...just like a domberman, you know? and she's kind of long like a hot dog lol

she's very sweet and smart so we thought about naming her "belle" since my brother was the one who named her that thinking it's a pretty name for the dog.

I would like see her pix. :)

Steel said:

tox?? what is that??

Fitnessfreak said:
Jazzy,

I strongly believe he is a border collie cuz i have one on my own. Border Collies indeed come in different color. They can be blue merle, black/white, black/white/tan, mostly white/black, tan/white, or dark brown/white.

I love my Border Collie!!

Thanks for telling me, I did not know it also has red/white. I checked the net about it and beautiful dogs.

You got cute puppy. Remind me of our old dog which gave our family by our former neighbor and they accidently cut the dog's tail pityful but we love her to death too late she died :cry

PurrMeow

Tousi said:
Reba, I was just saying re: the Aussies....if the tail isn't docked and any other things that go against the grain, would the AKC NOT recognize the breed?
The AKC sets the standards of breeds for showing in competition, and for goals in breeding. A dog can be a "pure" bred within its breed and still not conform to the standards. For example, a poodle might be born to certified parent dogs and therefore be a "pure" poodle but it doesn't conform to AKC standards if it is born with straight hair. That poodle can't compete in shows, and it is not recommended for breeding. But that poodle could still be an excellant pet (and would probably be sold by the breeder with the understanding that the dog must be neutered in order to keep that bloodline to standard).

So, if the Aussie standard requires a docked tail, you can't show one without the tail docked. The dog's owner decideds whether or not to surgically dock (cut) the tail while it is a puppy. For showing, it would be docked. For "work" on a sheep ranch it is often docked for practical reasons. But for a "pet" Aussie it is not necessary.

Doberman Pinchers also get their tails docked, and their ears cropped while they are puppies. Many breeds of dogs also get their dew claws snipped off. If they don't get these surgical procedures, they are still "pure bred" dogs but they just can't been shown in competition.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get into a technical discussion about pooches in this thread. The most important point is to enjoy each doggie for its own personality and specialties. Unless someone wants to show or breed a dog professionally, the AKC standards are interesting but not important. We all love the "Heinz 57" varieties just as much!

Yeah, your puppy is so cute, and I think he is collie/border collie mix??

Wait until your puppy gets growing up then show us again to see which breed it s

Cathy

Back