Long-time CI user, looking for advice going forward - N22 Freedom?

TheWGP

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this board, but it looks like there's a lot of great people here and a lot of information - hence my posting. Let me start off with a little background...

I'm now 24, implanted left ear with a single N22 in Dec. 1990 at age 7, hearing loss partial at 2 1/2, profound in both ears at age 3. Fistulas, who knows why. Anyway, I did cued speech and high-powered HA's (even though my left-ear sensitivity was, I'm told, worse than my right - and I can literally only hear jet-engine type noise in my right unaided.

After cued speech, I did Auditory-Verbal at the Beebe Center with Helen Beebe until they referred us to Riley in Indianapolis for possible CI. At the time, FDA approval was still forthcoming, and Indianapolis (Dr. Miyamoto) had done more trial surgeries than the other options that were available to me. It was 4 hours away, but once FDA approval came down, we more or less scheduled ASAP. As I did right after activation, I continue to use lip-reading as a supplement, though I rely on it definitely more than I should, or than I need to.

I do want to note that at no point has ASL been involved beyond fingerspelling - and that's more a recent development with my wife and I to ease communication if my batteries die and I don't have a spare set for some reason. I realize this is controversial, but honestly, I don't have a lot of interest in ASL for the simple reason that I don't feel I need it. I grew up in a very small town, where there WAS no "deafie" culture, and I've only met approximately 3 other people with implants my whole life.

Anyway, I was mainstreamed all the way through school, was in the gifted program, took the highest-level courses available, AP, whatever. I then went to Notre Dame for undergrad, and am now at Case Western for law school. At no point have I ever used assistance beyond early scheduling (to avoid professors with HUGE beards!).

Given all of that, I've really got two questions. One: what kind of alternatives are possibly "in the pipeline" for older users as implants wear out? Thankfully, I'm not having any signs of failure after 17 years, but it's starting to be a concern of mine. I do have the right ear still untouched for exactly this reason, as is, I'm told, common.

Second, is there anyone out there with experience with the N22 Freedom? I'm considering getting one (two), but even after tradein and insurance, I'll still pay about 1370 out of pocket. That's a LOT! I realize not much of anyone knows much about this right now, but I'm wondering if it's really half as great as the marketing materials make it out to be. Help, anyone? :)

I have a friend who was recently implanted with the freedom and she loves it very much. I haven't heard anything bad about any processors. I have the Harmony by AB and its working very well for me too.

You should upgrade to the new processor. I know a few people who did and the results are all remarkable.

Thanks for the input! I am planning to get the N22 Freedom processor, but I guess I'm wanting to know that there's something behind it that's worth the time and money beyond just Cochlear's always-slick marketing. Is it just me or has it gotten worse over the past 5 years or so? I know when I was in high school, the next thing I thought of after reading Cochlear literature wasn't a political ad, the way it is now! :cool:

Hi! I'm new to this board, but it looks like there's a lot of great people here and a lot of information - hence my posting. Let me start off with a little background...

I'm now 24, implanted left ear with a single N22 in Dec. 1990 at age 7, hearing loss partial at 2 1/2, profound in both ears at age 3. Fistulas, who knows why. Anyway, I did cued speech and high-powered HA's (even though my left-ear sensitivity was, I'm told, worse than my right - and I can literally only hear jet-engine type noise in my right unaided.

After cued speech, I did Auditory-Verbal at the Beebe Center with Helen Beebe until they referred us to Riley in Indianapolis for possible CI. At the time, FDA approval was still forthcoming, and Indianapolis (Dr. Miyamoto) had done more trial surgeries than the other options that were available to me. It was 4 hours away, but once FDA approval came down, we more or less scheduled ASAP. As I did right after activation, I continue to use lip-reading as a supplement, though I rely on it definitely more than I should, or than I need to.

I do want to note that at no point has ASL been involved beyond fingerspelling - and that's more a recent development with my wife and I to ease communication if my batteries die and I don't have a spare set for some reason. I realize this is controversial, but honestly, I don't have a lot of interest in ASL for the simple reason that I don't feel I need it. I grew up in a very small town, where there WAS no "deafie" culture, and I've only met approximately 3 other people with implants my whole life.

Anyway, I was mainstreamed all the way through school, was in the gifted program, took the highest-level courses available, AP, whatever. I then went to Notre Dame for undergrad, and am now at Case Western for law school. At no point have I ever used assistance beyond early scheduling (to avoid professors with HUGE beards!).

Given all of that, I've really got two questions. One: what kind of alternatives are possibly "in the pipeline" for older users as implants wear out? Thankfully, I'm not having any signs of failure after 17 years, but it's starting to be a concern of mine. I do have the right ear still untouched for exactly this reason, as is, I'm told, common.

Second, is there anyone out there with experience with the N22 Freedom? I'm considering getting one (two), but even after tradein and insurance, I'll still pay about 1370 out of pocket. That's a LOT! I realize not much of anyone knows much about this right now, but I'm wondering if it's really half as great as the marketing materials make it out to be. Help, anyone? :)

Oh there is freedom upgrade processor made for older implant like you have right now I suggest you to get it and try it out like trial it should be free to see if you like it. Freedom processor have some wonderful program like adro, autosensitivity, whisper and beam. And I heard from some people with older implant upgrade to freedom (n24 not 22 like your though) said it is much better, clearer and can hear some stuff she couldn't with 3G like s, sh, th sound, some sounds and more clarity. And about freedom implant, they are same but its built with titanium and platinum, have self curling, and a lot of extra memory or computer stuff in there for future upgrade if need use more too.
Go to Cochlear: World leader in advanced hearing solutions. Nucleus cochlear implants and the Baha system. they have info and you can order their information box to mail to you its free and it have book that describe freedom in details if interested.

The Freedom processor just came out this month (Thank you SkullChick!). Although I have never had any CI processors (I was just recently activated). As far as I know, it's a whole lot better than the predessors due to 4 different programs, T-Coil (telephone), Mix (t coil and background noise), and various additional programs that can be used, such as ADRO, Whisper, Beam, etc. A friend who had ESPrit, SPRint processors, switched to Freedom and she loves it. The software has improved.

I wish you best of luck!!

Welcome! Your story as an early implantee is interesting, thanks for sharing.

Your concerns about technological dependence on the one CI was one of the reasons that motivated me to go bilateral. When waiting for my first CI (I had suddenly lost most of the residual hearing in my more depended on left ear),I survived for 9 months using the right ear and lipreading only and it was exhausting. The right ear had never done well with hearing aids. I haven't regretted the decision to go bilateral and my right ear is for the first time almost just as useful as my previously much loved left ear. Before with hearing aids, I would not always notice if the right ear was not turned on but with the CIs I definitely do.

It sounds like the Freedom for N22 implants could be a good option for you as well. I am correct in thinking that it's only just been announced as being in the pipeline? Its encouraging for all us users that people are not being left behind with successive generations of implants.

Again as you mention, learning sign is another possible way of reducing technological dependency. However it takes time to build up to fluency, you also would need a decent concentration of other fluent users nearby with whom to practice and also increase the composition of friends who are able to sign. So those practice factors would come into play. Maybe you and your wife could do it for fun one day!

Yeah, I've actually already started the process through Cochlear's upgrade website. I'm really glad to hear the software has improved like that. I don't use telecoil, honestly - my wife and I both just have cell phones, we don't see any sense in paying for an extra house phone. What I'm really looking forward to is the volume AND sensitivity control - I've been telling my audiologists that would be great for probably 10 years now. Beam also sounds interesting, especially in lecture-hall situations.

I'm definitely really excited to get a processor that I can potentially do better with than even the Spectra. I never wear the Spectra anymore except for when the BTE is being replaced, because of the cord and box - and the Freedom removes that.

I do wonder if someday I'll end up with a Freedom or a successor in the right ear. But I think I'm fine with the same old N22 for now, especially since Cochlear has been so great about upgrading processors for old recipients. Not many companies will still support you 17 years after the sale!

Oh, re: Freedom - I believe all N22 people got a mailing from Cochlear at the end of Jan. This had been after Cochlear had let slip to a few audiologists that they thought it was coming in December. I think they said all implant centers should have the equipment to program N22 Freedom's by March 1 - so in March we'll probably start seeing "normal people" coming on with N22 Freedoms. I know my implant center already has the equipment from the testing phase, so I'm just waiting on insurance coverage to come through, honestly!
As far as ASL, I'm kind of on the fence about expanding our use of it. Partly this is just because of the focus on language I've always had, and an idea I gave myself - no, nobody pressured me on this, and I was asked repeatedly if I wanted to do sign - that learning ASL would be kind of a crutch, or "giving up" for me as I developed with the implant. That logic is obviously no longer valid, since I've proven to myself and anyone else that I can be very successful with the implant. I guess some of it is still habit... but habits change!

Regarding bilateral - I've always been told the logic for going single-ear was that I still had SOME hearing in the right ear, which would (back then) have been destroyed 100% by an implant. They wanted to "leave it open" for future replacement or possibly even the mythical "cilia-regeneration" that's been coming "in 10 years" for the last 30 years ;) Nowadays I am glad I have it - but that's probably just because I'm increasingly worried that what's in my head will just fail. I hope to outlive my (first) implant, let's just say that! :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I've actually already started the process through Cochlear's upgrade website. I'm really glad to hear the software has improved like that. I don't use telecoil, honestly - my wife and I both just have cell phones, we don't see any sense in paying for an extra house phone. What I'm really looking forward to is the volume AND sensitivity control - I've been telling my audiologists that would be great for probably 10 years now. Beam also sounds interesting, especially in lecture-hall situations.

I'm definitely really excited to get a processor that I can potentially do better with than even the Spectra. I never wear the Spectra anymore except for when the BTE is being replaced, because of the cord and box - and the Freedom removes that.

I do wonder if someday I'll end up with a Freedom or a successor in the right ear. But I think I'm fine with the same old N22 for now, especially since Cochlear has been so great about upgrading processors for old recipients. Not many companies will still support you 17 years after the sale!

Oh, re: Freedom - I believe all N22 people got a mailing from Cochlear at the end of Jan. This had been after Cochlear had let slip to a few audiologists that they thought it was coming in December. I think they said all implant centers should have the equipment to program N22 Freedom's by March 1 - so in March we'll probably start seeing "normal people" coming on with N22 Freedoms. I know my implant center already has the equipment from the testing phase, so I'm just waiting on insurance coverage to come through, honestly!

Yeah, my son got that mailer you got. The more the pressure you put on your insurance the faster they will work to get you approve.

As far as ASL, I'm kind of on the fence about expanding our use of it. Partly this is just because of the focus on language I've always had, and an idea I gave myself - no, nobody pressured me on this, and I was asked repeatedly if I wanted to do sign - that learning ASL would be kind of a crutch, or "giving up" for me as I developed with the implant. That logic is obviously no longer valid, since I've proven to myself and anyone else that I can be very successful with the implant. I guess some of it is still habit... but habits change!

Regarding bilateral - I've always been told the logic for going single-ear was that I still had SOME hearing in the right ear, which would (back then) have been destroyed 100% by an implant. They wanted to "leave it open" for future replacement or possibly even the mythical "cilia-regeneration" that's been coming "in 10 years" for the last 30 years ;) Nowadays I am glad I have it - but that's probably just because I'm increasingly worried that what's in my head will just fail. I hope to outlive my (first) implant, let's just say that! :)

Hi, I am the mother of 2 oral deaf teenagers. I am also an oral teacher of the deaf and all of my students have CIs. It was thought back then when my son got implant over a dozen years ago that you only implant one ear in case hair-regeneration comes through. We know that this is not going to happen for at least 20 years. As you might have heard the research is coming out where 2 implants are better. I am doing some research now because the results are not sure thing for people like you or my son that have not used that other hear but it is looking better. Currently I am at a 2 week training for CIs. Cochlear Americas is coming out to talk to my group tomorrow. I will ask questions and get back to you.

I am doing some research and am very interest in what people with 2 implants think of their implant. I am bit more interested if someone got one implant did well with and then years later got another implant. I know 2 implants are great for younger users but I am wondering say a child got implant around 3 and then wait many years and then got the second implant how did they do. My son was implanted at the age of 3 and he is now 15 and we are thinking about getting another implant. The research is not clear in a case of my son.

I have a friend who was recently implanted with the freedom and she loves it very much. I haven't heard anything bad about any processors. I have the Harmony by AB and its working very well for me too.

You should upgrade to the new processor. I know a few people who did and the results are all remarkable.

Kalboy where and when did you get your implant. What do you think about your implant. Do you have 2? What type of services did you received and are you happy with them.

I am doing some research and am very interest in what people with 2 implants think of their implant. I am bit more interested if someone got one implant did well with and then years later got another implant. I know 2 implants are great for younger users but I am wondering say a child got implant around 3 and then wait many years and then got the second implant how did they do. My son was implanted at the age of 3 and he is now 15 and we are thinking about getting another implant. The research is not clear in a case of my son.

Jackie,

I love my two implants. I can't go with just one because they work together. When I only wear one, the sound, sounds strange. Just PM me if you have any questions.

I've removed some posts. Let's not turn this into another heated debate.

Thank you.

Hi Jackie,

I got my implants just over a year apart. I was happy with the first implant but felt like the other ear with the HA was going no where and it was either get rid of the HA or get another CI.

I have not noticed a huge difference in overall sentence test results in booth conditions but I do notice a big difference in every day life situations in noisy conditions. It seems easier to follow speech and to pick it out against the background. Also, music sounds a lot better with two versus one. Just my own experience.

Just one question, I was interested to check few FAQ from Cochlear America.

It's based on battery life for N22 and N24, N24 has approximately 4 days of battery life since N22 has approximately 2 days, why does N22 has shorter bettery life than N24?
Upgrade your Cochlear Implant

Just one question, I was interested to check few FAQ from Cochlear America.

It's based on battery life for N22 and N24, N24 has approximately 4 days of battery life since N22 has approximately 2 days, why does N22 has shorter bettery life than N24?
Upgrade your Cochlear Implant

Hi Pacman, the reason the N22 has a shorter battery life span is because it is old technology. Many people complained about short battery life span so they figured out how to make the batter last longer. Most insurance plans pay for batteries if you asked them too.

Hi Jackie,

I got my implants just over a year apart. I was happy with the first implant but felt like the other ear with the HA was going no where and it was either get rid of the HA or get another CI.

I have not noticed a huge difference in overall sentence test results in booth conditions but I do notice a big difference in every day life situations in noisy conditions. It seems easier to follow speech and to pick it out against the background. Also, music sounds a lot better with two versus one. Just my own experience.

R2D2, that is what I have heard that it makes a difference with noise and music. I am learning a lot these 2 weeks at this CI training. I have reserach articles they gave me so I am going to give them to my son and see what he says.

TheWGP,

My daughter was implanted a little before you in July of 89 however she needed to be re-implanted in November of 01 so she no longer has the 22. One thing to think about is virtually everytime there is an upgrade it usually takes a few months for them to work out all the kinks like programming and mapping so you may not want to rush into it but see how people feel about it over the next few months.
good luck,
Rick

Back