Long Distance Relationships?

KStiletto

Reaction score
Would any of you have a long distant relationship? How far is too far? Do you think you could make it work or is it just not an option for you?

I was in a long term relationship for two years. It ended just days before Easter. I was supposed to fly down to see him in Arkansas and was really happy because I hadn't seen him in 3 months. He asked me to go on yahoo chat to tell me that he started going to church and met a "straight up church girl" and that he wanted to marry her.

He and I got along beautifully and had great times together but it was because of the long distance that he couldn't handle the loneliness and needed to be with someone who he could see regularly.

the shock of the sudden breakup was really hard to deal with but that's the risk of long distance relationships. If it was a situation in which one lover is temporarily far away, then it can work I think, but if it was a case of two people living far apart for permanent reasons, I don't see how their relationship can survive.

That sucks that he said he found a "church girl." The truth is always the best solution. He just used that as an excuse. I just don't understand why communication is so hard, especially for men.

I salute those who do have long distant relationships. I need my cuddle time, their touch, everything. Now if the person lived elsewhere and was willing to move to my city because of their own free will then that's different.

It can work for a while if there's a light at the end of the tunnel, a time when you can expect to be together. Military families, Foreign Service families, sometimes academics, and others do it all the time when one person has to travel or for some reason live someplace else for a while. My husband and I did it for about two years when he had a project in Cleveland and I was in the D.C. area. He would fly down about every other weekend; once in a while I would fly there. For two adults, it was workable; I would not have been happy doing that if we had had children. Plus we did see each other fairly often. It was a LOT easier on us than it is for military and FS families when the spouses can't see each other sometimes for as much as a year.

Re: your situation, DeafCaroline, sounds to me like the guy who met the "church girl" was probably being very honest; he just met someone who was a better fit for him. That happens, long-distance relationship or no. It hurts, but at least he was honest about it and saved you the expense of going to see him.

IMO.....it may work in the beginning only if either one is willing to relocate to live together.

I personaly could never have along distance relationship... i could maybe go as far as 100 miles but thats about it...

I'm on the same page with Authentic.

Yes, I have. The same thing happened to my bro and friends. All of them ended up marrying and having kids.

With my dad's job, it required him to travel frequently. My mother used to get comments from her friends and acquaintances who thought she was crazy who let her husband go on long business trips.

"How can you handle it with your husband traveling so much? I would go crazy!"

"You poor thing!"

"Do you TRUST him?"

:dunno2:

...but at least he was honest about it and saved you the expense of going to see him.

True, and I am not angry with him at all. I understand. But it was still shocking for all of this was so out of the blue. And I never got refunded for cancelling my plane ticket that I booked a month in advance so the expense was not spared. Oh well.

I am very pretty my personal hard to relationship far to see on my gf is very Ontario, I can't live close because fiance complication not easy i wish be! I see on my gf hope be see figure out! I think so might to love my g!

Milage..

How long does it take to drive 45 miles? That seems like forever.

Well with traffic it usually takes me about 1 hour and 10 mins to get to work then same back homeso i drive almost 2 hours and 20 mins to work and back home...

Well with traffic it usually takes me about 1 hour and 10 mins to get to work then same back homeso i drive almost 2 hours and 20 mins to work and back home...

Ok not bad. Its probably mainly highway. If that was 45 miles in NYC it would take forever because of the lights, etc.

If you really love someone over long distance, you would not care about the distance, all you would want to go for that destination to TALK/HUG/KISS/ etc......to him, am I correct? :D

Way-ullll - sometimes it was nice having the distance between us during the week, because I could go to work, work late when needed, do what I needed to do around the house, and no worries about making dinner at a certain time or making my schedule fit his, or his fit mine. It was kinda nice having a weekends-only deal.

For a while. We were both glad when it was over. But it wasn't all bad, either.

If you really love someone over long distance, you would not care about the distance, all you would want to go for that destination to TALK/HUG/KISS/ etc......to him, am I correct? :D

I do agree with you but it would be hard and one would have to be open to moving at some point.....But i also have to add this day in age poeple hav a hard time trusting others so.... I would be rough... so where do you live... and how far away would you date someone????

Back