living on your own...

Mulak

Reaction score
Hey

I'm 19 years old college student taking business adminstration at Sheridan College at Ontario, Canada. I was just thinking about the future of how my life going to be like living on my own like getting my own place, buying groceries, typical day to day life stuff.

I was wondering how was your life is like living on your own and what did you do to accommodate yourself while living on your own. I wear behind the ear hearing aids and i dont wear it when i'm sleeping (cause i know a friend of mine's cousin sleep with his hearing aid)

I just want to be prepare for the future and make sure i got everything before i moved out on my own. I'm hoping to move out at the age of 25

Mulak

just go with the flow dude and be sure y ou plan your budget VERY well. I moved out at 18 yrs old. I went to gally and then back home when i was accepted into ACE in milton, Yep I'm from ontario. I then moved out again so pretty much I've lived on my own since and for the lasy few year I've made some poor budget plan.

Meanwhile, Have fun dude enjoy your new "living on your own" experience :)

BTW ive had BTE hearing aid and i always take them off when i sleep...conserving battery as much as possible.I've lost alot of hearing to a point where it is now sitting collecting dust.

Bowak said:
just go with the flow dude and be sure y ou plan your budget VERY well. I moved out at 18 yrs old. I went to gally and then back home when i was accepted into ACE in milton, Yep I'm from ontario. I then moved out again so pretty much I've lived on my own since and for the lasy few year I've made some poor budget plan.

Meanwhile, Have fun dude enjoy your new "living on your own" experience :)

thats so cool... I live in Oakville its about 5-10 mins away from milton... what kind of things did you had to buy to accommodate yourself? and also what kind of place did u move to?

Well, in gally i lived in a dorm but when i went to ACE, i rented a townhouse for a year and having 3 roomates helps with the rent and utility. you would need bed, ya know some funiture like couch, better have the pull out sofa, you might be hosting a party and some people could crash at your place. and keep it simple for the first few years.

my townhouse wasnt much, i found a fridge off the street. had a few funiture and the dining room was our "homework" room...we parked our desk in that room. you just gotta be creative. You'll wing it just fine.

Mulak said:
Hey

I'm 19 years old college student taking business adminstration at Sheridan College at Ontario, Canada. I was just thinking about the future of how my life going to be like living on my own like getting my own place, buying groceries, typical day to day life stuff.

I was wondering how was your life is like living on your own and what did you do to accommodate yourself while living on your own. I wear behind the ear hearing aids and i dont wear it when i'm sleeping (cause i know a friend of mine's cousin sleep with his hearing aid)

I just want to be prepare for the future and make sure i got everything before i moved out on my own. I'm hoping to move out at the age of 25

Mulak

Sheridan College is that in Toronto?? :)

I live in ontario that too :).. Ahh your cousin sleep with hearing aids ? :lol: I used that when I was young sleep with my hearing aids till my counsellor told me to take it off and I asked her why ? she said it is waste the batteries goes to died so I took it off and not used it till used it take off hearing aids at night time and only I wear my hearing aids from wake up and all day till bed time :)

I moved out at my age 19 yrs old and on my own for a years. Before live with my cousin for short time 6 months then move live with my sister for 3 months then on my own again for long time.

thats creative boawk

DeafMonkey said:
Sheridan College is that in Toronto?? :)

I live in ontario that too :).. Ahh your cousin sleep with hearing aids ? :lol: I used that when I was young sleep with my hearing aids till my counsellor told me to take it off and I asked her why ? she said it is waste the batteries goes to died so I took it off and not used it till used it take off hearing aids at night time and only I wear my hearing aids from wake up and all day till bed time :)

I moved out at my age 19 yrs old and on my own for a years. Before live with my cousin for short time 6 months then move live with my sister for 3 months then on my own again for long time.

there is two Sheridan Colleges 1 in brampton and the other is in oakville and i'm going to college in Oakville... and its not my cousin... its one of my friend's cousin

Mulak said:
thats creative boawk

there is two Sheridan Colleges 1 in brampton and the other is in oakville and i'm going to college in Oakville... and its not my cousin... its one of my friend's cousin

ohhhh okay now I got it :D lol .. I am curious to ask you where did you attened in deaf school before ?? :)

DeafMonkey said:
ohhhh okay now I got it :D lol .. I am curious to ask you where did you attened in deaf school before ?? :)

I never went to deaf school before... i went to a normal elementary school, normal high school and normal college... all normal .. i got 77% average in college for the first year and now this year in sept is my 2nd year

I've been on my own since I was 18. I love it. :) No one to tell me what to do. :D

I can walk naked in my house. :D

LuciaDisturbed said:
I've been on my own since I was 18. I love it. :) No one to tell me what to do. :D

I can walk naked in my house. :D
Even front the television?

Mulak said:
I never went to deaf school before... i went to a normal elementary school, normal high school and normal college... all normal .. i got 77% average in college for the first year and now this year in sept is my 2nd year

Ohhhh I thought you go in deaf school but I am wrong oops :Oops: :lol:

ideafspy said:
Even front the television?

:rofl: Hey dude...When my ex hubby and I were married...He walked everywhere in our home with nude! Now, since he lives with his roomies...

Seems he is *stuck* - can't walk around nude around his buddies..:P

I lived in dorm at College for 3 years...then lived in dorm at another College for 1 year..then moved back to live with my parents for about 2 years..then I lived alone for 2 years..then moved here in Okie - lived with my parents for 3 years...then got married for 2 years..then been divorced for 4 years - been living alone since divorced...

If I meet Mr. Right, I will move to live with him...but if not, prefer to live alone until the day I die... :whistle:

dont you guys use devices when ur living on your own... like special doorbell while you sleeping or whatever ... devices that are needed when living on your own... the only thing i have is a bed shaker alarm that wake me up a specific time

Mulak said:
Hey

Mulak

Im 21 and still havent moved out from my parents house... They are fine with me staying with them, BUT I help around and pay some bills... respect! But just take your time before you rush out there living on your own, if you aren't prepared you will fall flat on your ass before you know it... Its a tough world out there for the deafs and hard of hearing.. Like I said while back before you get on your own get all the equipments you need for your home~ for your own safely! Just go with the flow! You got all of your life... No rush!

Mulak said:
dont you guys use devices when ur living on your own... like special doorbell while you sleeping or whatever ... devices that are needed when living on your own... the only thing i have is a bed shaker alarm that wake me up a specific time

Yes. I used to have a special doorbell but it got stolen more than a year ago...bastards!

I used to have a "all in one" device for alarm clock, doorbell (for the doorbell thingy on the door that got stolen), phone ringing, but it died. Gotta get a new one too...

But they are very helpful.

I think your plan to stay home until you are 25 is a very good idea. I think 25 is a very good age to move out. Don't feel like you are abnormal. I truly believe that many young adults should stay home a few years after high school (unless they go away to a college dorm) because a lot of them are immature and make poor life choices. I know from what I observe, a friend and a cousin of mine. Believe me, every year, you're a new person and learn new things all the time about life, values, choices and what you want. Some people believe in moving out once they're 18, but I don't think it's right to dump their children out like that. They are newly adults. They have many rights, but they still need training from parents believe me because they are just adult beginners. You can learn a lot more by staying a few years and get used to being an adult. No one is less of an adult by staying home with parents while working to save or going to school or at least until marriage (if you marry in your 20's).

You can go to Harris Communications. Google it, and request a catalog to view through all of the necessary things you might need. It isn't cheap, so try to save for those things. I am not sure if Vocational Rehab could pay for them or some of the cost to help you live an independent life.

I know you're dreaming of what it's like. I do dream about it, too. It's normal. You can try some of those things at home by helping out if you don't or by helping out extra to get used to what you will do.

I moved out at age 19 and guess what? I LOVED it! At first I was nervous and scared but I turned out just fine. :) I used have roommates as well. But I prefer alone. Now I have bf and a kid.

As for budget... number 1 is pay RENT/MORTRAGE FIRST, 2nd electrcity/water (we pay water every 3 months), food and car payment/insurance then rest go last. We used the budget plan and it worked very well!!! My bf created the budget plan on the Excel.

Back