Living in a dorm help

Of course it was a joke. I'd never seriously advocate that anyone bring a gun into a dorm.

Ah... just read you will only be there for eight weeks.

Might not be a good idea to get a portable dishwasher, unless you're planning to get it for yourself for future places?

-If you plan on using your microwave/doing any cooking remember paper towels! The worst thing is spilling something and having to run back and forth from the bathroom.
-A robe for going from the shower to your dorm. (Personally, I often feel uncomfortable in just a towel)
-Someone mentioned a basket for your shower things, this is vital (Bed Bath and Beyond has a huge selection) try to find one with holes in the bottom so the water will drain out.
-Snacks, pop corn is a good late night snack. Also water bottles.

I've been living in dorms for the last 2 years, (Luckily, I'm moving into my sorority house in the fall!!) so feel free to message me with any questions.

Ah... just read you will only be there for eight weeks.

Might not be a good idea to get a portable dishwasher, unless you're planning to get it for yourself for future places?

See I totally want one for my apt! I don't have one at all, and since I live in studio my kitchen is more of a counter top, so I am going to by one at least for my apt once I get the money. I never knew they existed!

-If you plan on using your microwave/doing any cooking remember paper towels! The worst thing is spilling something and having to run back and forth from the bathroom.
-A robe for going from the shower to your dorm. (Personally, I often feel uncomfortable in just a towel)
-Someone mentioned a basket for your shower things, this is vital (Bed Bath and Beyond has a huge selection) try to find one with holes in the bottom so the water will drain out.
-Snacks, pop corn is a good late night snack. Also water bottles.

I've been living in dorms for the last 2 years, (Luckily, I'm moving into my sorority house in the fall!!) so feel free to message me with any questions.

YES paper towels!! And snacks! I completely spaced snacks! I always get the munchies at night, so great idea.

thanks for the help!

Items to bring:
Flipflops or slip on beach shoes and slippers - going into a shower to prevent foot fungus, this is no joke. It's BAD in communal showers. Slippers or slip on shoes are also great if someone pulls a fire drill in the middle of the night (speaking as someone who has had to huddle in 20 degree weather in a robe and socks, these are important).

Blindfold- If you want to sleep in total darkness and your roommate is up doing an assignment this is great. You can still sleep and they can cram for that test without bugging you with annoying light. The only problem with this is if you can sleep through a firealarm going off.

Deodorant spray- nothing like walking into an invisible wall going into the bathroom. If you're not in a chem free dorm you'll smell every sacrifice to the porcelain gods people make. I do mean everything.

Umbrella - For downpours. Try to get one that's sturdy enough not to be flipped inside out.

Rainslicker- Big enough to cover you and your backpack. Nothing like a 200 dollar textbook ruined by a downpour as you're running to your classes.

Waterproof, WARM boots- VERY important. Otherwise you wind up with more athlete's foot, and if you're in a northern area, snow is enough to make your toes turn black and fall off.

Doormat - To keep the dirt off your floor and out of your bed.

BATTERY POWERED ALARM CLOCKS!- if there's a power outage, it will knock out everything in the room, including alarm clocks. And professors really don't care.

SURGE PROTECTORS - I lost a 1300 dollar laptop earlier this year to a power surge- if I didn't have insurance on it, I would have sued the damn school. Make sure if you buy a power -strip- that it's guaranteed to have a surge protection on it, and that it has a guarantee if it fails.

Items to bring:
Flipflops or slip on beach shoes and slippers - going into a shower to prevent foot fungus, this is no joke. It's BAD in communal showers. Slippers or slip on shoes are also great if someone pulls a fire drill in the middle of the night (speaking as someone who has had to huddle in 20 degree weather in a robe and socks, these are important).

Blindfold- If you want to sleep in total darkness and your roommate is up doing an assignment this is great. You can still sleep and they can cram for that test without bugging you with annoying light. The only problem with this is if you can sleep through a firealarm going off.

Deodorant spray- nothing like walking into an invisible wall going into the bathroom. If you're not in a chem free dorm you'll smell every sacrifice to the porcelain gods people make. I do mean everything.

Umbrella - For downpours. Try to get one that's sturdy enough not to be flipped inside out.

Rainslicker- Big enough to cover you and your backpack. Nothing like a 200 dollar textbook ruined by a downpour as you're running to your classes.

Waterproof, WARM boots- VERY important. Otherwise you wind up with more athlete's foot, and if you're in a northern area, snow is enough to make your toes turn black and fall off.

Doormat - To keep the dirt off your floor and out of your bed.

BATTERY POWERED ALARM CLOCKS!- if there's a power outage, it will knock out everything in the room, including alarm clocks. And professors really don't care.

SURGE PROTECTORS - I lost a 1300 dollar laptop earlier this year to a power surge- if I didn't have insurance on it, I would have sued the damn school. Make sure if you buy a power -strip- that it's guaranteed to have a surge protection on it, and that it has a guarantee if it fails.

:gpost:

Mhhm.
General Stuff
-Enough clothing (duh)
-Quarters (dollar bills, change) for vending machine
-Books (if you like reading, your fav.)

Technology
-Whatever your particular hearing equipt. is (if applicable)
-extra batteries
-Ipod (again, if applicable)
-Cell phone " "
-All applicable chargers
-Laptop if you have one (if you're taking classes)/PRINTER

Cleaning Stuff
-Plastic shower bucket/basket
-Shampoo/soap
-BLEACH (good suggestion!!)
-Dish soap/Sponge
-Laundry detergent (unless this is provided free)
-Drying rack (for line drying instead of dryer)
-Towel/Sheet set

Appliances
-Microwave
-portable dish washer (!!)
-Mini-fridge

Ok. That's a crazy list. It just depends what your priorities are, what you really want.

If you wear HA do not wrap them up in any tissues , someone might think it trash and throw them out!

I will repeat myself LOL

Make sure the bedding set is for an extra long twin sized mattress!!! My friend went away to college and brought her own bedding, but it was too small. She went to the local store and were all sold out. She had to ask her mom to send her a set. Until it arrived she used the small set, for a week. She was exhausted.

OMG. Please tell me that has not happened to you before! That would be awful! I would make them pay for new ones!

When I was in the 5th grade at a public mainstreamed school, I was required to remove my HA's and put them in my desk on top of my books while we were at PE. That was so I didn't "sweat" in them and get them too wet to use for the other half of the day. The janitor came through to clean the room while we were still outside and thought they were parts to an old transistor radio (this was in the 70's) and threw my HA's away. By the time I realized what had happened, I was bawling since my parents said if I lost this pair then I was grounded for the rest of the school year and we were just in the first month of school. The teacher was concerned since she saw me do what I was told to do. In the end, my parents came to the school and people were asked, and the janitor admitted doing it and why, the HA's were no repairable since they had gone to the incinerator already. That was my last pair until I got my own 25 years later.

When I was in the 5th grade at a public mainstreamed school, I was required to remove my HA's and put them in my desk on top of my books while we were at PE. That was so I didn't "sweat" in them and get them too wet to use for the other half of the day. The janitor came through to clean the room while we were still outside and thought they were parts to an old transistor radio (this was in the 70's) and threw my HA's away. By the time I realized what had happened, I was bawling since my parents said if I lost this pair then I was grounded for the rest of the school year and we were just in the first month of school. The teacher was concerned since she saw me do what I was told to do. In the end, my parents came to the school and people were asked, and the janitor admitted doing it and why, the HA's were no repairable since they had gone to the incinerator already. That was my last pair until I got my own 25 years later.

You poor thing! That is awful!

I will repeat myself LOL

Make sure the bedding set is for an extra long twin sized mattress!!! My friend went away to college and brought her own bedding, but it was too small. She went to the local store and were all sold out. She had to ask her mom to send her a set. Until it arrived she used the small set, for a week. She was exhausted.

Yes thanks for telling me the size. I was curious about that the other day.

I got my daughter her own mattress cover , she was really glad she had it! It made the bed feel cleaner!

That is a good idea. Then i will feel better if there is a 'groove' in the bed--eh I hate other people's grooves. haha

gasoline and matches. Burn it from the inside out and get an apartment, seriously.

Back