'Live' Question

FireTiger

Reaction score
(Is there a thread yet for, 'stupid things only a hearie would ask?' this is one of them)

I was taught that 'live' was the manual 'L' touched to the chest twice, like a beating heart.

I just looked at ALSPro for some other words and found 'Live' being the 'L' coming up each side of the body to the shoulder two hands- ending palms up.

I live in North FL in case its a regional 'Live' that I learned- or was I making rude gestures (again) without knowing.

((My first one I did 'slowly' wrong the lady I was conversing with knew what meant and died laughing- other people gave me looks as I had switched from speaking to sign w/o vocalizing (still making the correct mouth) as I asked if she was deaf of HoH (we had HoH headphones at MOSH Jacksonville FL))

:ty:

In ASL, LIVE is signed with A-shape hands. Signed English systems initialize the sign with L-shape.

In ASL, LIVE is signed with A-shape hands. Signed English systems initialize the sign with L-shape.

Great- another little pitfall- Just watched the ASLPro again, it doesn't end palm up its palms to body still...

ok- I really need this for church today, Signed English is all I claim to do a little of. *phew* ((that is I know enough to get into trouble))

So... I'm doing PSE for "He Lives" (310 United Methodist Hymnal) - So its... the most important word.

I just looked up 'alive' it looks like 'live' with 'A' hands just like 'live' with 'L' hands

Oh well- I'll learn correct when I can meet people IRL.

Last edited:

Are there any true ASL signs that use initialized handshapes? It seems like even the pure ASL users around here still use at least a few...

Are there any true ASL signs that use initialized handshapes? It seems like even the pure ASL users around here still use at least a few...

I'm a bit confused by this, too. Is something only considered an initialized sign if there's an alternative ASL sign? I'm thinking of everyday basic signs like family, class, uncle, cousin, blue, green, days of the week, etc. -- there are so many that seem to start with the handshape of the English word's first letter.

I'm a bit confused by this, too. Is something only considered an initialized sign if there's an alternative ASL sign? I'm thinking of everyday basic signs like family, class, uncle, cousin, blue, green, days of the week, etc. -- there are so many that seem to start with the handshape of the English word's first letter.

I found alive or Live(s) but then which do I use?

The song is 'He Lives' of course - I did it using ASL 'alive' for "lives"

I found alive or Live(s) but then which do I use?

The song is 'He Lives' of course - I did it using ASL 'alive' for "lives"
To be honest, if you're at the stage of signing where you have to ask such questions, you're probably not ready for signing songs in public, at least not without a mentor. Correctly interpreting songs is for advanced signers and interpreters.

To be honest, if you're at the stage of signing where you have to ask such questions, you're probably not ready for signing songs in public, at least not without a mentor. Correctly interpreting songs is for advanced signers and interpreters.

Sorry- I am looking for a mentor but haven't found one. Really its volunteer for church there are no signers the church is tiny- I could likely name everyone in the whole church.

Choir director asked me to do it -

I'm usually ok with synonyms and most people appreciate the work anyway.

I'm in Jacksonville, FL so if anybody wants to hang out with a hearie and a 14 month old...

Sorry- I am looking for a mentor but haven't found one. Really its volunteer for church there are no signers the church is tiny- I could likely name everyone in the whole church.
How many deaf people attend your church?

Don't forget, even when one volunteers for a ministry, one should perform in a professional manner.

Choir director asked me to do it -
I'm confused; is your choir director in charge of the deaf ministry?

I'm usually ok with synonyms and most people appreciate the work anyway.
The deaf people with whom you sign--they are comfortable with PSE? If they are, then it's up to them.

Some initializing seems to be getting more accepted. But some signs which seem to be initialized really are not. Don't forget, some are actually hand shapes used in classifier form.

How many deaf people attend your church?

Don't forget, even when one volunteers for a ministry, one should perform in a professional manner.

I'm confused; is your choir director in charge of the deaf ministry?

The deaf people with whom you sign--they are comfortable with PSE? If they are, then it's up to them.

Zero deaf that I am aware of.

I did the best I could having less then one week's notice- I asked her never to 'volunteer' me for something again (basically it was announced to the church, then she looked at me to confirm :-o during service... fir the first week of the new pastor, I guess to show off it really torqued me off- but to back out I'd look like the behind)- come to me first and I'll see if I am comfortable with the material.

We have a church of total 100 people after a huge split.

I normally use PSE but would like to switch- my vocabulary is poor, enough to use in an emergency and usually get giggles as I AM trying but also I'm 'on spectrum' so half of social cues don't even register to me meaning also I fail to give social cues which makes it even harder.

Zero deaf that I am aware of.
Then for whom are you signing at church?

I did the best I could having less then one week's notice- I asked her never to 'volunteer' me for something again (basically it was announced to the church, then she looked at me to confirm :-o during service... fir the first week of the new pastor, I guess to show off it really torqued me off- but to back out I'd look like the behind)- come to me first and I'll see if I am comfortable with the material.
Totally unethical and unprofessional of the choir director. I wouldn't have done it. The part about showing off really bothers me.

We have a church of total 100 people after a huge split.
:hmm:

I normally use PSE but would like to switch- my vocabulary is poor, enough to use in an emergency and usually get giggles as I AM trying but also I'm 'on spectrum' so half of social cues don't even register to me meaning also I fail to give social cues which makes it even harder.
Do you practice signing with deaf people?

Then for whom are you signing at church?

Totally unethical and unprofessional of the choir director. I wouldn't have done it. The part about showing off really bothers me.

:hmm:

Do you practice signing with deaf people?

Questions:

a) I guess God-

b) I agree but really didn't feel like being the -bad- one (not showing up at all or saying 'hell no' during service)

c) I have signed with one sweet deaf lady, her name was 'sun-heart' (signed over left chest) - I posted about it before she refused to let me get paper and pen for communication and I accidentally did the sign for 'slowly' wrong (and made a bad word too :shock:) I was using PSE and manual she started in ASL and switched to PSE and manual for me. I must have come off as really really rude but I was 15 then.

I gotta find out who would be willing to be seen with me I have a very limited sign vocabulary (partly due to ASD) which is why this was shocking of the Choir Director.

Questions:

a) I guess God-
If you don't have a firm reason for signing when there are no deaf people present, then maybe you shouldn't do it.

b) I agree but really didn't feel like being the -bad- one (not showing up at all or saying 'hell no' during service)
You don't have to be so extreme. There are more tactful ways of turning down a request.

c) ...I gotta find out who would be willing to be seen with me I have a very limited sign vocabulary (partly due to ASD) which is why this was shocking of the Choir Director.
How did the choir director know that you were learning sign language?

If you don't have a firm reason for signing when there are no deaf people present, then maybe you shouldn't do it.

You don't have to be so extreme. There are more tactful ways of turning down a request.

How did the choir director know that you were learning sign language?

I usually enjoy singing - but only stuff I know is correct- I don't wanna guess- what if that one visitor that one Sunday reads sign and I do something wrong?

She announced during the service that I would be preforming next week... (see far above)

She has seen me use sign before, before Sara moved away I used sign with her- she was nonverbal -hearing- but DD with TBI, she communicated in PSE which is originally why I was learning - then her parents got divorced and she got relocated to TX.

I usually enjoy singing - but only stuff I know is correct- I don't wanna guess- what if that one visitor that one Sunday reads sign and I do something wrong?

She announced during the service that I would be preforming next week... (see far above)
Yes, I know that. It doesn't mean you have to do it. After the service you go privately to the choir director and say, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have agreed to perform next week. You took me by surprise and I answered without thinking. It wouldn't really be appropriate for me to perform next week, so regretfully I need to decline."

She has seen me use sign before, before Sara moved away I used sign with her- she was nonverbal -hearing- but DD with TBI, she communicated in PSE which is originally why I was learning - then her parents got divorced and she got relocated to TX.
As a hearing person, the choir director doesn't know what is correct signing and was is not. It's your responsibility to explain that you're a beginner.

In any case, it's never right to "show off" signing in church. I'm surprised that the choir director doesn't know that. It's the same as singing or playing an instrument in church. One doesn't do those things to show off in church.

As a Hoh/Deaf person I agree with everything Reba has said!!

While beginner signers trying to sign songs etc in church THINK they're helping etc - really it's the exact opposite, they're perpetuating the myth that proper certified interpreters aren't required - because "anyone is better than nothing" (sometimes, nothing IS better than someone who LOOKS like an interpreter, but in truth is unskilled)

Interpreting ASL to English, and English to ASL is a SKILL that takes many many years to learn - that's why ASL/English interpreters are so valued.

If you have no Deaf at your church, there's no need for ASL ... if you DO have Deaf at your church (or want Deaf at your church) then you NEED to get appropriate, proper, respectful accommodations in place such as CART, or a certified ASL/English interpreter.

Thanks guys I think I'll send this to her in an e-mail, that way this never has to come up again.

Ummm I went to Shindler Baptist Church 2 or 3 times...(Jax, Fla,)...had a hard time understanding the sermon & choir being signed...but I appreciate the effort that was being made!....Dunno if you were one of the hearing signers or not (?)

Questions:

I gotta find out who would be willing to be seen with me I have a very limited sign vocabulary (partly due to ASD) which is why this was shocking of the Choir Director.

Tsk. I have an ASD. That is not a reason for limited sign vocabulary.

Back