Little Help

dorothy5664

Reaction score
I have a receptive quiz coming up in my ASL class. Does anyone know any good ASL vlog sites that I can go to to practice?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks Shel. Plus I am going to the local Deaf Club St. Patty's Day party on Saturday, so the Vlogs will be good practice for that too. It's amazing how much more difficult developing receptive skills are than signing.

Thanks Shel. Plus I am going to the local Deaf Club St. Patty's Day party on Saturday, so the Vlogs will be good practice for that too. It's amazing how much more difficult developing receptive skills are than signing.

YW!

When I first started taking ASL in 1995, the opposite was always harder for me...to this day, it still is. I can understand ASL poetry, songs, stories and etc but when I try to sign pure ASL in that level, I fumble!

Thanks, it is part of one of the Vlogs I was watching.

I have to say, everyone on AD has been very helpful in regards to any help I have needed. You guys are great!:wave:

:eek3: I am so glad that my instructor slows her signing down for us. There is no way that I could make heads or tails of a dialogue being signed as quickly as those vlogs. Oh well, I will just need to keep practicing. I certainly didn't learn to speak orally in two semesters time, I can't expect to be a whiz at ASL after only one and a half semesters.

:eek3: I am so glad that my instructor slows her signing down for us. There is no way that I could make heads or tails of a dialogue being signed as quickly as those vlogs. Oh well, I will just need to keep practicing. I certainly didn't learn to speak orally in two semesters time, I can't expect to be a whiz at ASL after only one and a half semesters.

Hahaha! It took me about 5 years to really get my receptive skills to that level that is being used on the Vlogs. :) Now, even after 14 years of using ASL, I still cant get my expressive skills to that level! :D

JClarke,

I have, but I can't seem to find anything that has a complete dialogue. Unless I am not looking in the right place.

Shell,

To be honest, after 40 plus years, there are still times that I struggle with expressive English.

Hahahahaha

I have some questions... could someone please help?

Hi, I'm new here. I'm in ASL 2. I just have some questions about Deaf Culture/Etiquette.

Is it impolite to chew/eat while signing?
Is nail polish okay, or is it distracting?

Also, I'm going to go to my first Silent Dinner in a week or so, any tips or helpful hints?

Thanks so much!!

I would probably say that it's alright as long as you're eating with your mouth closed and your hands are free from the food you're eating it with.

For instance, if you're eating with a fork and knife... be sure to put both down properly before signing. I've seen people sign without putting their forks/knives down properly. They end up hitting the forks/knives and it goes flinging in the air. :eek:

As for nail polish, I guess it depends on what kind of nail polish.

If it was normal nail polish (red, blue, black, etc), it would be fine. But if it was to flashy (shiny bright red, neon orange/pink, bright yellow, etc), it would be distracting. It's like clothes that interpreters wear, which have to be mild in color.

Of course, that would be good advice for an interpreter, but for a person who's not an interpreter... I see nothing wrong with how you want your nails. You're not trying to be a certified interpreter, but a normal human being who knows how to sign and want to talk with people.

Hi, I'm new here. I'm in ASL 2. I just have some questions about Deaf Culture/Etiquette.

Is it impolite to chew/eat while signing?
Is nail polish okay, or is it distracting?

Also, I'm going to go to my first Silent Dinner in a week or so, any tips or helpful hints?

Thanks so much!!

My son has said in the past that he find any obvious nail polish to be distracting.

Back