Literacy info

jillio

Reaction score
I just got my most recent copy of Odyssey from the Clerc Center today, and there is the following review of a book I thought some of you might be interested in. I've already ordered a copy for myself.
Following is the article with info on obtaining the book:

Literacy--It All Connects! by Susan Flanigan

The Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center is pleased to announce the publication of Literacy--It All Connects an exciting new resource for educators, dorm personnel, and families of deaf and hard-of-hearing students. Literacy--It All Connectsdescribes the important features of a successful literacy program and brings these features together to help students on their journey to becoming skilled readers nad writers.

Written by David R. Schleper, Literacy--It All Connects brings together years of teaching experience and thelatest research in a 128 page book. Schleper, formerly the Clerc Center's coordinator of Training, Develpment, and Literacy Projects (retired in 2007), has presented on literacy and literacy development for deaf and hard-of-hearing students at workshops and conferences throughout the country for many years. Now, for the first time, he brings together all the research, strategies, and hands-on teaching tips into a single publication.

In Literacy--It All Connects teachers will see how to incorporate nine different teaching strategies into their own schools and programs. These nine strategies, including language experience, shared reading and writing, and writer's workshop will assist teachers in meeting mandated goals promoted by No Child Left Behind for promoting student achievement in reading and providing access to the curriculum.

Other literacy titles by Schleper and available from the Clerc Center include: Reading to Deaf Children: Learning from Deaf Adults, Read it Again and Again,andLeading from Behind: Language Experiences in Action. For more information on these titles, visit the Clerc Center's on-line catalogue at Literacy It All Connects--Clerc Center Catalog: B606--Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center at Gallaudet University.
Also this one:

Clerc Center announces new literacy publication:

I Like Dialogue Journals, BUT....Strategies for Using Dialogue Journals with Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students, a manual and DVD set, developed by David R. Schleper, is the fourth in the Clerc Centers Nine Areas of Literacy series. The manual discusses 10 of the msot common challenges to using dialogue jouranls and how to address them. The DVD presents discussions of dialogue journal exchanges between techers and students of diverse backgrounds and abilities.

Back