List of base closings

Status
Not open for further replies.
shyt. one of my good friends here in hawaii just lost her job...... her base is closing as well here in hawaii a good one hr away. good pay too now shes gotta go find another job sigh.....

I hate to tell you that it is sort of a good idea to get rid the submarines because the radars interfer the whales' compact. Many right whales died on the shorelines every year. It does evidence that the underwater radars made them confused that lead to death. The Navy did not want to admit it. It is a difficult choice between defense our country and save the whales. I think whales are important because they are part of the nature cycle or food chain. I wish that Navy should design a different technology that does not use a radar for underwater. The government can afford it that would make a big difference.

New England 28,000 people will lay off from State of Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Connecticut from Defense. :(

Interesting...
The Great Depression began in 1929; World War Two began for the United States in 1941.

I thought, Great Depression was during world war II. My Dad told me that he woke up at 5 am to ran to stand up in the front long line to get butter and bread for his Mom on Saturday morning. He had his shoes leather bottom to replacement. My Dad was born in 1931. It obviously was not great depression during that year.

Sorry, it is off topic...

Don't bet on it! Why would gov't tell the world the details? I don't think they would abandon nukes. More like relocate to where no one had the slightest idea where it might be relocated. Military ain't dumb, they are to protect America.
I have strong feeling that they are reorganization in order to confuse the potential terrorists. Now, that terrorist need to find out what their next system are. The less people know about military, the less chance Terrorist is going to attack us.

Nesmuth said:
I'm glad theyre getting rid of the Seal Beach Naval Weapons station.

Richard

Gobv't can afford them? I don't think so, money don't grow on trees. If gov't decided to overspend $, then we all will be in serious trouble. Like hyperinflation, economy can go upside down. I just believe they just shift their strategries.

webexplorer said:
I hate to tell you that it is sort of a good idea to get rid the submarines because the radars interfer the whales' compact. Many right whales died on the shorelines every year. It does evidence that the underwater radars made them confused that lead to death. The Navy did not want to admit it. It is a difficult choice between defense our country and save the whales. I think whales are important because they are part of the nature cycle or food chain. I wish that Navy should design a different technology that does not use a radar for underwater. The government can afford it that would make a big difference.

Yes, I know. It´s same with in Germany, too. :(

They closed the bases in Bavaria, Germany.

Nuermberg
Fürth
Crailsheim
Ansbach
and more lists in the link.

I used to work in Ansbach from 1986 to 1993 so they pulled US army caserne to build into Shopping Centre. They moved me to other US army base in Katterbach in 1993.

I heard that they will close few bases in Würzburg and Bamberg and want to keep Katterbach as NATO because Katterbach is mainly large caserne in Bavaria.

http://www.g2mil.com/2005.htm

http://web.reporter-news.com/shns/story.cfm?pk=BASES-OVERSEAS-04-26-05&cat=II

Europe closing

http://www.33darmor.com/kasernen/ayers1.htm

http://www.33darmor.com/kasernen/ayers1.htm

http://www.g2mil.com/July2002.htm

The office rumor spread out that US Army casernes will be not around anymore within 20 years later.

All what I ***nodding*** the rumor because I want to beleive is get a letter from mailbox, not rumor...

I heard the rumors for fucking 20 years.... Always the same....

Yes, they closed other bases but they transfer employees to other bases and my workplace.

I also heard that they want to keep US Army base in Katterbach and Illesheim. True????? Wait and see....

webexplorer said:
I hate to tell you that it is sort of a good idea to get rid the submarines because the radars interfer the whales' compact. . .
The Navy is not getting rid of submarines. They are still building new ones. The Navy wants to close submarines bases. That means the same submarines will be moved to new home ports, probably in Georgia and Virginia.

... It is a difficult choice between defense our country and save the whales.
I don't think so. Defending our country is always number one priority. If an enemy attacked USA and defeated us, do you think they (the enemy) would care about the whales? No way!

Sabrina said:
New England 28,000 people will lay off from State of Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Connecticut from Defense. :(
Awful!

...Sorry, it is off topic...
No problem. :)

Magatsu said:
Does anyone know that if Bush pulls "his" soldiers out of Iraq or did not invade Iraq, a country that don't have WMD, these bases would not close down. ..
Not necessarily true. BRAC is a regular event that has happened for many years. BRAC of 1995 closed our Naval Base Charleston and many other bases, many years before the Iraq war. In fact, BRACs of 1993 and 1995 were during President Clinton's administration.

It makes no difference if 10,000 Americans lose their jobs by closing military bases or is 150,000 lose their pensions by court order because we are slumbering, it does not affect the average American YET.
I would like to ask those whining though...
1) How many voted for Bush?
2) How many were vocal against the flood of illegal aliens into the USA?
3)How many were vocal about outsourcing to India and Asia?
Not many.
What will it take, tanks in your own neighborhood?
Wake up.

Whew...... I crossed my fingers and was lucky... NAS Whidbey stays open... Thank god, I work there and shop there!

Reba said:
I don't think so. Defending our country is always number one priority. If an enemy attacked USA and defeated us, do you think they (the enemy) would care about the whales? No way!

Of course, we should defense our country. But, the Navy is supposed to improve the technology so that it would not harm the whales. The Navy is not doing anything to change it. That's the problem. The whales are taking care of the sea which is part of our food chain - for fishes that we eat (not whales). A fewer whales, more jellyfishes and other kind of sea-animals are after our fish chain. Actually, another countries are doing the same type of radar... that's another problem.

For example, our satellites have the capability to track the submarines. That would even better than the radars.

Hopefully, someday, a new device absorbs the radio waves that would give the submarines difficult to find locations. This could reduce amount of stress for the whales.

Reba said:
Not necessarily true. BRAC is a regular event that has happened for many years. BRAC of 1995 closed our Naval Base Charleston and many other bases, many years before the Iraq war. In fact, BRACs of 1993 and 1995 were during President Clinton's administration.
I do aware about BRAC but I think it will make a big difference if there is no Iraq war (maybe less numbers of bases than present). In fact, several nonpartisan/non-profit organizations recently are starting to research on this issue. I guess we will see what the result will be whenever it comes out. For the time being, I will just *nod* to your comment and wait.

webexplorer said:
Of course, we should defense our country. But, the Navy is supposed to improve the technology so that it would not harm the whales. The Navy is not doing anything to change it. That's the problem. The whales are taking care of the sea which is part of our food chain - for fishes that we eat (not whales). A fewer whales, more jellyfishes and other kind of sea-animals are after our fish chain. Actually, another countries are doing the same type of radar... that's another problem.

For example, our satellites have the capability to track the submarines. That would even better than the radars.

Hopefully, someday, a new device absorbs the radio waves that would give the submarines difficult to find locations. This could reduce amount of stress for the whales.
I am not sure which magazine, Wired or Popular Science but one of them mentioned that Navy already have the technology (which developed by NASA) that will not confuse/harm the whales or something like that and yet they didn't reinforce the technology in their submarines. I don't remember why but I am sure that will be odd or retarded reason.

They also mentioned that it is much cheaper, lighter, easier to maintain and better than current "radar" technology that Navy carried.

At least they cannot bend the Law of Causality (Thank God and reality for that) so I guess they will reap what they sow soon or later.

Reba said:
Am I the only one who finds the irony in that statement? It is not about you, Reba at all but this "Defending our country is always number one priority" statement. It got me puzzled when these presidents and Bush babbled nonsenses about that... they were/are the ones who had the final decision about the 'shut down' of bases which aids the defense of our country... They (ex-presidents) and Bush also refused to do anything about illegal immigrants or border issues which attracts more dangers than ... these "armies" in Iraq or other countries.

Go figure, indeed.

Last edited:
Sorry, but radar does not work underwater. Submersables and even surface vessels use sonar (including Greenpeace ships) to see underwater. That is sound wave reflections (echos) not radar (electrical pulse returns).

Throughout the Northeast, there was nothing to rejoice about.

Connecticut was hit the hardest, absorbing about 8,600 proposed job losses -- nearly 30 percent of the net national job cuts. Maine was a close second, with nearly 7,000 proposed job cuts.

"Friday the 13th, it's bad day," said Rep. Rob Simmons, R-Conn. "But the good news is, we're strong, we're together and we're not going to let them beat us."

In Kittery, Maine, more than 2,000 workers demonstrated outside the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, the nation's oldest. They held signs declaring "Save Our Shipyard" and raised their fists in the air.

"It's an unnerving feeling knowing that your career and home area are very likely going to go away," said John Ford, 56, a retired yard worker from South Berwick, Maine. "If they're looking to save money in the government, why would you close a proven performer?"

The rallying cries were just as strong elsewhere in the country.

South Dakota was shocked to hear that it could lose its second-biggest employer, the venerable Ellsworth Air Force Base, after community leaders spent 10 years and $2 million to preserve it and its 3,852 workers.

During the Cold War, Ellsworth played a major role in the all-out effort to defeat the former Soviet Union by maintaining nuclear warheads in the ground and in the air. Today its only mission is hosting roughly half the nation's B-1B fleet of the long-range bombers, and the military said it would rather move the bombers to the Texas base where the rest of the fleet is housed.

"This is the first inning of an extra-inning game," promised Pat McElgunn, of the Rapid City Area Chamber of Commerce.

The proposed list of bases now goes to a federal commission, which must report by Sept. 8, and then on to Congress and President Bush.

While the Pentagon plan calls for a net loss of 29,005 military and civilian jobs at domestic installations, some places stand to gain as positions at closed bases shift to posts that survive.

President Bush's home state of Texas could gain more than 9,000 military jobs even while losing four major installations and several smaller ones, and Florida, where the president's brother is governor, would add 2,575 jobs overall while losing none of its bases.

North Dakota and Illinois got some good news and some bad news: bases would stay open but jobs would be lost.

Grand Forks, North Dakota, learned that its air base wouldn't close but the area would lose nearly 5,000 jobs under the shakeup. The Pentagon also wants to send the Grand Forks Air Force Base's KC-135 refueling tankers elsewhere.

At the Street Cafe and Pit Stop Bar in Emerado, a town of about 500 just down the road from the base, owner Cheryl Meagher said it wouldn't make sense to transfer so many personnel.

"If we're going to lose that many people, I don't see how that's different from closing the base," she said. "You don't run a business that way. I couldn't run my business that way."

Illinois wouldn't lose any bases but the state would see nearly 2,700 jobs go by the wayside. That includes nearly 1,300 jobs at the Rock Island Arsenal along the Mississippi River.

MISSISSIPPI Facilities recommended for closure: 3 Facilities recommended for realignment: 4Facilities recommended for expansion: 2 Net gain/(loss) of jobs:- Total: (1,678)- Military: (995)- Civilian: (425)- Contractor: (258)

The Pentagon has recommended closing 33 major military installations in the United States and U.S. territories as part of a realignment that would cut about 29,000 jobs. An independent commission will review the proposals and send them, along with any changes, to the White House by September 8.

List Of Base Closings In Alphabetical Order

Alabama:
Abbott U.S. Army Reserve Center, Tuskegee
Anderson U.S. Army Reserve Center, Troy
Armed Forces Reserve Center, Mobile
BG William P. Screws U.S. Army Reserve Center, Montgomery
Fort Ganey Army National Guard Reserve Center, Mobile
Fort Hanna Army National Guard Reserve Center, Birmingham
Gary U.S. Army Reserve Center, Enterprize
Navy Recruiting District Headquarters, Montgomery
Navy Reserve Center, Tuscaloosa
The Adjutant General Bldg, AL Army National Guard, Montgomery
Wright U.S. Army Reserve Center

Alaska:
Kulis Air Guard Station

Arizona:
Air Force Research Lab, Mesa
Allen Hall Armed Forces Reserve Center, Tucson

Arkanas:
El Dorado Armed Forces Reserve Center
Stone U.S. Army Reserve Center, Pine Bluff

California:
Armed Forces Reserve Center Bell
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Oakland
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, San Bernardino
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, San Diego
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Seaside
Naval Support Activity Corona
Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach, Detachment Concord
Navy-Marine Corps Reserve Center, Encino
Navy-Marine Corps Reserve Center, Los Angeles
Onizuka Air Force Station
Riverbank Army Ammunition Plant

Connecticut:
Sgt. Libby U.S. Army Reserve Center, New Haven
Submarine Base New London
Turner U.S. Army Reserve Center, Fairfield
U.S. Army Reserve Center Maintenance Support Facility, Middletown

Delaware:
Kirkwood U.S. Army Reserve Center, Newark

Florida:
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Orlando
Navy Reserve Center, St. Petersburg

Georgia:
Fort Gillem
Fort McPherson
Inspector/Instructor, Rome
Naval Air Station Atlanta
Naval Supply Corps School, Athens
U.S. Army Reserve Center, Columbus

Hawaii:
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Honokaa

Idaho:
Navy Reserve Center, Pocatello

Illinois:
Armed Forces Reserve Center, Carbondale
Navy Reserve Center, Forest Park

Indiana:
Navy Marine Corps Reserve Center, Grissom Air Reserve Base, Bunker Hill
Navy Recruiting District Headquarters, Indianapolis
Navy Reserve Center, Evansville
Newport Chemical Depot
U.S. Army Reserve Center, Lafayette
U.S. Army Reserve Center, Seston

Iowa:
Navy Reserve Center, Cedar Rapids
Navy Reserve Center, Sioux City
Navy-Marine Corps Reserve Center, Dubuque

Kansas:
Kansas Army Ammunition Plant

Kentucky:
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Paducah
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Lexington
Navy Reserve Center, Lexington
U.S. Army Reserve Center, Louisville
U.S. Army Reserve Center, Maysville

Louisiana:
Baton Rouge Army National Guard Reserve Center
Naval Support Activity, New Orleans
Navy-Marine Corps Reserve Center, Baton Rouge
Roberts U.S. Army Reserve Center, Baton Rouge

Maine:
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Limestone
Naval Reserve Center, Bangor
Naval Shipyard Portsmouth

Maryland:
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Patuxent River
Navy Reserve Center, Adelphi
Pfc. Flair U.S. Army Reserve Center, Frederick

Massachusetts:
Malony U.S. Army Reserve Center
Otis Air Guard Base
Westover U.S. Army Reserve Center, Chicopee

Michigan:
Navy Reserve Center Marquette
Parisan U.S. Army Reserve Center, Lansing
Selfridge Army Activity
W.K. Kellogg Airport Air Guard Station

Minnesota:
Navy Reserve Center Duluth

Mississippi:
Mississippi Army Ammunition Plant
Naval Station, Pascagoula
U.S. Army Reserve Center, Vicksburg

Missouri:
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Jefferson Barracks
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Kansas City
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, St. Louis
Marine Corps Support Center, Kansas City
Navy Recruiting District Headquarters, Kansas
Navy Reserve Center, Cape Girardeau

Montana:
Galt Hall U.S. Army Reserve Center, Great Falls

Nebraska:
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Columbus
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Grand Island
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Kearny
Naval Recruiting District Headquarters, Omaha
Navy Reserve Center, Lincoln

Nevada:
Hawthorne Army Depot

New Hampshire:
Doble U.S. Army Reserve Center, Portsmouth
Naval Shipyard Portsmouth

New Jersey:
Fort Monmouth
Inspector/Instructor Center, West Trenton
Kilmer U.S. Army Reserve Center, Edison

New Mexico:
Cannon Air Force Base
Jenkins Armed Forces Reserve Center, Albuquerque

New York:
Armed Forces Reserve Center, Amityville
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Niagra Falls
Carpenter U.S. Army Reserve Center, Poughkeepsie
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Rome
Navy Recruiting District Headquarters, Buffalo
Navy Reserve Center Glenn Falls
Navy Reserve Center Horsehead
Navy Reserve Center Watertown
Niagra Falls International Airport Air Guard Station

North Carolina:
Navy Reserve Center, Asheville
Niven U.S. Army Reserve Center, Albermarle

Ohio:
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Mansfield
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Westerville
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Dayton
Mansfield Lahm Municipal Airport Air Guard Station
Navy-Marine Corps Reserve Center, Akron
Navy-Marine Corps Reserve Center, Cleveland
Parrott U.S. Army Reserve Center, Kenton
U.S. Army Reserve Center, Whitehall

Oklahoma:
Armed Forces Reserve Center Broken Arrow
Armed Forces Reserve Center Muskogee
Army National Guard Reserve Center Tishomingo
Krowse U.S. Army Reserve Center, Oklahoma City
Navy-Marine Corps Reserve Center, Tulsa
Oklahoma City (95th)

Pennsylvania:
Bristol
Engineering Field Activity Northeast
Kelly Support Center
Naval Air Station Willow Grove
Navy-Marine Corps Reserve Center, Reading
North Penn U.S. Army Reserve Center, Morristown
Pittsburgh International Airport Air Reserve Station
Serrenti U.S. Army Reserve Center, Scranton
U.S. Army Reserve Center Bloomsburg
U.S. Army Reserve Center Lewisburg
U.S. Army Reserve Center Williamsport
W. Reese U.S. Army Reserve Center/OMS, Chester

Puerto Rico:
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Humacao
Lavergne U.S. Army Reserve Center, Bayamon

Rhode Island:
Harwood U.S. Army Reserve Center, Providence
USARC Bristol

South Carolina:
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Charleston
South Naval Facilities Engineering Command

South Dakota:
Ellsworth Air Force Base

Tennessee:
U.S. Army Reserve Area Maintenance Support Facility, Kingsport

Texas:
Army National Guard Reserve Center No. 2, Dallas
Army National Guard Reserve Center (Hondo Pass), El Paso
Army National Guard Reserve Center, California Crossing
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Ellington
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Lufkin
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Marshall
Army National Guard Reserve Center, New Braunfels
Brooks City Base
Defense Finance and Accounting Service, San Antonio
Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant
Naval Station, Ingleside
Navy Reserve Center, Lubbock
Navy Reserve Center, Orange
Red River Army Depot
U.S. Army Reserve Center No. 2, Houston

Utah:
Deseret Chemical Depot

Virginia:
Fort Monroe

Washington:
1LT Richard H. Walker U.S. Army Reserve Center
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Everett
Navy-Marine Corps Reserve Center, Tacoma
U.S. Army Reserve Center, Fort Lawton
Vancouver Barracks

West Virginia:
Bias U.S. Army Reserve Center, Huntington
Fairmont U.S. Army Reserve Center
Navy-Marine Corps Reserve Center, Moundsville

Wisconsin:
Gen. Mitchell International Airport ARS
Navy Reserve Center, La Crosse
Navy-Marine Corps Reserve Center, Madison
Olson U.S. Army Reserve Center, Madison
U.S. Army Reserve Center, O'Connell

Wyoming:
Army Aviation Support Facility, Cheyenne
Army National Guard Reserve Center, Thermopolis

Why are they closing the bases? I know it was recommended by some Pentagon folks, but why did they make that decision?

Liza said:
Why are they closing the bases? I know it was recommended by some Pentagon folks, but why did they make that decision?

it is because cold war was over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back