Lipreading

SJCSue

Reaction score
Is it important for me to learn to lipread when I only have a mild loss?

Yes

No

Last edited:
Actually, that is up to you.. if you want to learn lipreading then go for it.. if you don't want to then u don't have to.. but thats entirely up to you what makes you comfortable....

edit: it also depend on how much you can lipreading too and still want to learn or not for lipreading...

Well why not? It's a useful skill to have, and I know that some of our unilateral members say that they wish they had the skill of lipreading so they could function better in crowds and stuff like that. I can lipread well enough so that I can have "spoken" conversations without making a sound! It's weird...I am usually the only hoh kid around, but many of my hearie friends pick up speechreading from me.

I have good hearing but still rely on lipreading, especially in large groups. Don't know quite how I picked up the knack for it that I have though...

well i am a good lipreader.. my family can lipread too!! so i gotta watch my ass sometimes cuz they can "eavesdrop" by reading my frigging lips!! damn them! :squint: lol

Only 30% of a conversation can be comprehended through lipreading. I like to mouth, "Olive Juice" out of the blue to make the point.

There is a book my wife has called, "What's that pig outdoors?" According to the author, he mis-read, "What's that big loud noise?"

I'm not saying it's a waste of time, but be cautious. Eventually, you'll be able to decipher the expected, such as greetings.

Steve

i cant read lips very well no matter how hard i try... most of time i understand only simple words and mostly swearing words heheh :naughty:

Steve said:
Only 30% of a conversation can be comprehended through lipreading. I like to mouth, "Olive Juice" out of the blue to make the point.

There is a book my wife has called, "What's that pig outdoors?" According to the author, he mis-read, "What's that big loud noise?"

I'm not saying it's a waste of time, but be cautious. Eventually, you'll be able to decipher the expected, such as greetings.

Steve

I'm glad you pointed this out. 'Elephant Shoe' is one of my favorites. Many hearies (and myself until I was educated about it) thought that lipreading took in a lot more. I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where they use Jerry's girlfriend to read lips at a party. George wants to know something about his ex. Rather funny how it turns out but proves that lipreading isn't always accurate.

Lipread brings confident to deaf/hoh.Even hearing people are lipreading.what is harm in doing so.
:lick:

Yes, only about 30% of speech is lipreadable, but then again, you lipread more then you think you do. Ever been on the phone or misheard a lyric on the radio? I think it is important to learn to lipread b/c you're not always gonna be in prime/perfect listening conditions, and while speechreading is imperfect, it can be a very helpful tool!

Steve said:

Steve

I have already learn to lipread "thank you" because I work at a local supermarket.

I've learned to lipread some over the past few years without really realizing it. I use it to " fill in the blanks. Some folks don't move their mouth though. I really need to get better at it.

Codger said:
I've learned to lipread some over the past few years without really realizing it. I use it to " fill in the blanks. Some folks don't move their mouth though. I really need to get better at it.

My biggest difficulty is understanding people who are from different countries. I have many colleagues who are from Mexico, India, and China. Very tough to lipread, so I try to listen/decipher or ask someone with a familiar voice to repeat for me. Their lip movement and accents throw me off everytime.

Steve

Back