lip reading

Christe

Reaction score
I was on the phone with my cousin in Jamaica. I asked her about her neighbor Reece. She's a really amazing lip reader. It turns out that Reece had know idea what i was saying the whole time. Could my american accent be part of the problem. Or perhaps its the shape of my lips. They're sorta fat.

Could it be because she couldn't see your lips if it was a regular land line phone? I guess I'm a little confused.

I came to visit last year. so i asked my cousin how her Reece was. It turns out Reece couldnt read my lips

It's hard to lip read accents that you are not used to. Even if you normally can understand the person with voice. Lip reading is a skill, practice and get better, stop and degrade.

I went sound off today... ech, my lip reading skill suck!!! :( But I faked it well enough I guess.

I'm hearing, so I'm obviously no lipreading expert. But my Deaf friend told me that even the best lipreader can only get aboug 60%. Is that true?

I think less than 60%, I hear numbers around 30-35% before. but if you add in body language and context. And if you are good at fitting puzzles together then you can understand more.

Body language helps greatly, as well as already knowing the subject matter.

If you are looking purely at the lips and what can be understood. I think the number is about max 20% for the best. Then add facial expressions, familiarity of the subject, knowledge of how the person speaks (what kinds of words they tend to use), the environment.... the accuracy goes up from there.

From my CHS-Cdn Hearing Society-SpeechReading classes -the most one can expect is about 30% from attentive speechreading. One knows what the context of what is being discussed.
Not all lip movements are VISIBLE on one's face-some are "down one's throat" (English)

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

wow. thats really a small percent. my cousin's been trying to teach her sign language so maybe we can converse better when i go down to jamacia. (my cousin wants to be an interpreter)

Back