Lip-reading and Speech (IMPT)

Actually I think there's more people that grew up with hearing loss and wear hearing aids, speak, and some sign, than there are Deaf or late deafened.

To the OP...I'm kind of lost about the point of your thread. Are you asking us something?? I lost my hearing in my 20's, I've never worked on my speech reading skills, I think there are websites out there with exercises to do to improve them. I don't know, I'm pretty good at it, I guess it came more naturally?? I do almost as well understanding someone just using speech reading as do without my hearing aids, f it's someone I'm familiar with.

I wouldn't rely on speech reading at school.....I don't know about you but I need to pretty close for that to work, and since when does a teacher look right at you the whole time, they look around, they look down at their books/papers, turn around etc etc. Maybe you could get accomadations, CART whatever that is, or notetakers. DO they have that kind of thing available in Singapore?
Responding to the OP but Ambrosia, I believe you have the most complete suggestion. The teachers will not always be looking at you and if you manage to learn a minute amount of lipreading you will still have trouble (as she said). You can learn it. But even the best lipreaders have problems. What if your instructor has a beard and/or mustache?

I'd look into a backup for it. I personally don't like SEE because it becomes very tedious since suffix and prefixes are used as well as every article (a, the, etc.). I learned it and would likely still remember it but it's still just a partial fix to the problem you have. SEE entails signing end of words like "ing," "ed," etc. It may be more of what you're used to (sorry, Hochi, but this guy needs something fast) and it takes a while to learn.

Another "simply ask" route. In this economy it may not be feasible can you have someone type (like a court-typist) type what's being said and you would see it on a monitor. That's how I got through one legal deposition. The problem ... six years later when called into another and this was supposed too be the set up, I got there prepared for this method and they could not provide it - too expensive. I had to wing it on lipreading. BUT I could slow down the questions, you will not be able to.

Wait and look here for additional options here and ASK please at your school. In the meantime, I'd get crackin' on watching people and learning lipreading understanding it's a partial supplement not an answer.

Best of luck and do not give up, please. Your youth gives you the ability to absorb whatever you do choose more rapidly.

First, if you think a CI would be useful get a second opinion and take someone who is not your mom to take notes. Moms are notoriously bad at technology (just a joke but you should see my mom (62) try to send an email) and they generally don't like the idea of their kids having a surgery.
But having a friend with you to take notes and ask questions is excellent. I took a friend to my CI evaluation (my husband was out of town) and she brought up several questions I forgot to ask.

Second, do you know sign language? If you do, request a qualified interpreter. Most countries have laws requiring reasonable accommodations of disabilities.

Third, it is extremely unprofessional for any professor to interrogate you in front of classmates. Discussions pertaining to you, your hearing, your needs, etc should be conducted in private.

Lastly, lip/speech reading is not a magic fix. In English only 40% of sounds are visible on the lips! the rest is invisible.
I would imagine that that percentage is MUCH lower for languages that rely on tonal changes (Like Chinese).

Thank you for feedbacking! If i opt for CI, it is still useless for me. Besides, i already accepted for who i am since i was young. I am happy with being deaf. Well, Singapore has a long way ahead of your country.

Right now, people in those older generations are already fighting for the rights of deaf disabililty acts. It is still trying its best to raise deaf awareness here. 10% of people in my country is deaf whereas the majority is hearing. It is rather difficult.

Yes indeed true. I know learning how to lipread requires lots of time and patience to build up. But i can still sign and write on paper for communication with my hearing and deaf friends. Gotta be proud of my deaf identity.

Actually, i am already in distress that people around me tend to look down on me but i strongly feel that i have to be bold and fight back then prove them wrong. Tough battle through.. Sighs!:(:|:pissed:

Responding to the OP but Ambrosia, I believe you have the most complete suggestion. The teachers will not always be looking at you and if you manage to learn a minute amount of lipreading you will still have trouble (as she said). You can learn it. But even the best lipreaders have problems. What if your instructor has a beard and/or mustache?

I'd look into a backup for it. I personally don't like SEE because it becomes very tedious since suffix and prefixes are used as well as every article (a, the, etc.). I learned it and would likely still remember it but it's still just a partial fix to the problem you have. SEE entails signing end of words like "ing," "ed," etc. It may be more of what you're used to (sorry, Hochi, but this guy needs something fast) and it takes a while to learn.

Another "simply ask" route. In this economy it may not be feasible can you have someone type (like a court-typist) type what's being said and you would see it on a monitor. That's how I got through one legal deposition. The problem ... six years later when called into another and this was supposed too be the set up, I got there prepared for this method and they could not provide it - too expensive. I had to wing it on lipreading. BUT I could slow down the questions, you will not be able to.

Wait and look here for additional options here and ASK please at your school. In the meantime, I'd get crackin' on watching people and learning lipreading understanding it's a partial supplement not an answer.

Best of luck and do not give up, please. Your youth gives you the ability to absorb whatever you do choose more rapidly.

Yes, i had already requested for an interpreter in my school but sadly, it was rejected.. I think the HOD already looked into my matter and reviewed my exam results. I did better in first semester of my first year. In second sem of 1st year, i asked for one. Or i think school might have not enough money to pay for interpreting services?

You can say that i am unlucky. Never mind, at least i have tot of alternative ways. I can seek consultation from my lecturers after lessons or opt for tuition. I am thankful to have some wonderful classmates who didnt mind helping me in my work. I know lecturers dont want me to trouble classmates. Fret not, i proved them wrong that i did better than other classmates. -.-

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It always hurts my heart a bit when Deaf people who sign but have a CI are considered less "real" as in "not really Deaf".

To be "Deaf" does one have to have been born to a Deaf family who only uses ASL? No.
Can people who were raised orally ever be "Deaf" enough to meet the specifications without being judged as a newcomer? They aren't a newcomer to deafness, just sign language.
Are people who were born with mild hearing loss who lost their hearing over their lives (I'm 27 and have had severe to profound hearing loss for a third of my life) less "Deaf" simply because they heard at some point? Even if they sign?

If you are going to define the realness of a person's deafhood by how long they have been deaf or other audiological terms (profound vs severe, HA user vs non user, native signer vs new signer) you are using the medical model which sees deafness not as a culture but as a disability.
Being Deaf isn't about the presence or absence of sound.

I am trying to understand you.. What I am saying, if you find ASL that you feel comfortable wiht, then it should not be problem. You can communciate with anyone who knows ASL. For some certainly Deaf group do have their own opinions but who cares. As long as you can communciate great. Don't let Deaf peole bother you if you have CI users. THere are some CI users who signs ASL fluently as well. It does not matter. There are plenty of deaf cliques with different opinions even though its small number of deaf people.

i not great at lip reading and been doing it 33yrs,i proberly better than i think.within my own circle i dont think about it but when need to concentrate it can be tiresome..i went to a rehabilitation place years ago got grounding in it then went on to have lessons
is ASL what they use in singapore?????????????/

i not great at lip reading and been doing it 33yrs,i proberly better than i think.within my own circle i dont think about it but when need to concentrate it can be tiresome..i went to a rehabilitation place years ago got grounding in it then went on to have lessons
is ASL what they use in singapore?????????????/
This should be funny but maybe not. In my young years, I'd find myself in a shower with a "friend." Showers are great places to hear when your loss is only moderate :). I was usually asked if I had to read lips to hear and being the pompous kid at that time, I'd turn around and tell the person to say something. They did and I could repeat it. But, like the audiologist's sterile room with Bose surround-sound speakers, it wasn't a real-life simulation.

First off I am hearing. I think it is stupid for people to ask those who are HOH or Deaf to conform to hearing world. Its why I learned ASL in the first place.(trying to relearn it atm) I watched a girl at school get tormented by others and often look totally alone. I asked her interpreter to teach me some sign she did but then the girl transferred before we really got to know each other. If you can learn some lip reading it would help but to do it for hours would probably give you a head ache. Celebrate who you are and walk tall. Your awesome and those who won't take the time to learn to communicate with you don't matter. Of course I know this is for school/ job but maybe a different road would allow you to be more you EH? Just my two cents.

Back