Lip-reading and Speech (IMPT)

ahjas_15

Reaction score
hi there.

I have been told by many people that i must have to learn how to lip read but however, i felt that it is against my wish and on second thought, it is necessary because i will have to face my lecturers in a polytechnic next year as they will be talking fast.

I realize that it can be also troublesome to lipread them for more than a hour. Am i right? Plus, i also had been mocked by some people for making funny sounds in my speech. I find it upset but don't let it affect me and heck care anyway.

I think it is mainly the cause of impairing my speech due to my hearing nerves. please don't imply that i am a mute. So now i am 20 and is it possible for me to catch up w those lost times through the help of speech therapy sessions?

I felt useless because i am very bad at lip-reading. I have severe-profound hearing in my right ear. Left ear - absolutely dead. I was told by my mum that wearing hearing aids are no point for me either. It dawned upon me that i would be like that for the entire time of my life now. :(

Sighs. From Singapore

A few thoughts for you to consider.
You mentioned hearings aids are "no value to you" You didn't whether of Cochlear Implant MIGHT be of some value for you-IF suitable?

SpeechReading(lip reading) is at best extremely difficult to master. Reason: not all sounds are visible on the lips. Example-English: P B M are highly visible though one can't tell between "pat/bat/mat".

aside From my classes at Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto Canada- a few years ago.

Some thoughts for you to consider in your particular circumstances

Nuch future success in your life

Thanks for making highlighted points. But i am not suitable to own a cochlear implant due to my hearing nerves. Otherwise, it will damage my brain. The doctors have told my mum. So i will be remaining like this. Yes ikr! But it's not a easy feat .

Still are there any other chances of lip reading those basic words for me to understand and build up a good foundation? :o

hey, take a deep breath and relax. your Deaf right?
awesome!
the hearing worlds a strange and hostile place isnt it?
i know what you mean.
you know SEE right? Now do your self a favor and learn another sign language. keep with it. Our strength and future is in the language. language will set you free. think it through........
as for lip reading. sucks sure. we all gotta do it to some extant. think of it like this
what will make your life easier? its another tool int he tool box. learn it and use it.
i"m Deaf, your Deaf, many many Deaf here.
for what its worth

hey, take a deep breath and relax. your Deaf right?
awesome!
the hearing worlds a strange and hostile place isnt it?
i know what you mean.
you know SEE right? Now do your self a favor and learn another sign language. keep with it. Our strength and future is in the language. language will set you free. think it through........
as for lip reading. sucks sure. we all gotta do it to some extant. think of it like this
what will make your life easier? its another tool int he tool box. learn it and use it.
i"m Deaf, your Deaf, many many Deaf here.
for what its worth

not many Deaf here, very few ones. Many late deaf here on forum.

Actually I think there's more people that grew up with hearing loss and wear hearing aids, speak, and some sign, than there are Deaf or late deafened.

To the OP...I'm kind of lost about the point of your thread. Are you asking us something?? I lost my hearing in my 20's, I've never worked on my speech reading skills, I think there are websites out there with exercises to do to improve them. I don't know, I'm pretty good at it, I guess it came more naturally?? I do almost as well understanding someone just using speech reading as do without my hearing aids, f it's someone I'm familiar with.

I wouldn't rely on speech reading at school.....I don't know about you but I need to pretty close for that to work, and since when does a teacher look right at you the whole time, they look around, they look down at their books/papers, turn around etc etc. Maybe you could get accomadations, CART whatever that is, or notetakers. DO they have that kind of thing available in Singapore?

I see what you are saying. anyone can correct me, to me that this forum is more speaking/read lip than ASL users. hearing devices do not concerns me. I am interested in seeing someone who have been growing up in the Deaf community. I am very happy to have new people who participate into the Deaf community because they are more of themselve than be someoen else.

Frisky i mean, i was trying to be cute,,,,
cough
i mean i stand corrected, in that thank you for correcting me regarding the amount of DEAF/Deaf/deaf on here really it wasn't the point i was trying to convey.......
i apologize for being misunderstood
and before some start asking yes im Deaf.
anyway.

Frisky i mean, i was trying to be cute,,,,
cough
i mean i stand corrected, in that thank you for correcting me regarding the amount of DEAF/Deaf/deaf on here really it wasn't the point i was trying to convey.......
i apologize for being misunderstood
anyway.

GOTCHA! :giggle: No problem. of course we want more deaf Deaf or HOh who are interested in becoming friends with alll of us anyway which means they will learn ASL anyway. :D

Actually I think there's more people that grew up with hearing loss and wear hearing aids, speak, and some sign, than there are Deaf or late deafened.

To the OP...I'm kind of lost about the point of your thread. Are you asking us something?? I lost my hearing in my 20's, I've never worked on my speech reading skills, I think there are websites out there with exercises to do to improve them. I don't know, I'm pretty good at it, I guess it came more naturally?? I do almost as well understanding someone just using speech reading as do without my hearing aids, f it's someone I'm familiar with.

I wouldn't rely on speech reading at school.....I don't know about you but I need to pretty close for that to work, and since when does a teacher look right at you the whole time, they look around, they look down at their books/papers, turn around etc etc. Maybe you could get accomadations, CART whatever that is, or notetakers. DO they have that kind of thing available in Singapore?

Yes, I have also similar thought as you that is which i put my focus mainly on work instead of lip-reading but tbh, i hate being asked to learn lip-reading. In my current school, there was a lecturer asking me about this in front of hearing classmates and i felt very lost and speechless. Not only this, she also asked many times. Thankfully, my helpful classmate helped to explain for a while. But it doesn't mean that it will solve this.

From what i remembered, one of my lecturers branded me as a mute and i found it frustrating then complained to my classmate and she was shocked. MUTE MEANS NO SOUND BUT I DO HAVE IT! :mad: Btw, my HA are already spoilt. I am only able to comprehend a few simple words for lip-reading. :)

Regretfully, i should have continued my voice to use with my SEE SL. Since i learnt speech therapy, it was back in pri sch. Sighs! So i am trying to ask for your opinion if i can improve on lip-reading and speeching. :)

Frisky and Hoichi,

LOL! Squabbling over here. Cute! OK, thanks for your feedback. I would be much interested to learn ASL but it's a bit much similar to SEE actually. There got some differences between them. :P

Hope to meet those deafies around here and interact w them also. Gain the value of understanding how we all can improve our speech and lip reading in our daily live.

May all the deafies over from the world stand reunited!

As a "deafie/bilateral" since 2006-I don't think all Deafie" agreed on much!

Just read the multiple comments here

Given your particular circumstances "Ambrosia suggestion of a notetaker" could assist you in completing your courses-now.

Frisky and Hoichi,

LOL! Squabbling over here. Cute! OK, thanks for your feedback. I would be much interested to learn ASL but it's a bit much similar to SEE actually. There got some differences between them. :P

Hope to meet those deafies around here and interact w them also. Gain the value of understanding how we all can improve our speech and lip reading in our daily live.

May all the deafies over from the world stand reunited!

:D I am sure that you will be fine when you pick up ASL if you hang out with ASL users. I used to sign SEE when I was a kid. it didnt work well for me, and switched to ASL It works wonderfully for me. Actually, i do sign mixed with SEE and ASL.

Yeah i would love to mingle with those ASL friends right now but sadly, i have none at this moment. Nvm, it is ok. i also hope to meet those ASL friends in future. I don't mind bringing them around in Singapore for a visit. :P Alas, i would like to make friends w you, Frisky. :)

May i know which country r you residing in? :)

USA. :) I m sure that one of those days you will bump into some deaf American any where. have faith

Thanks for making highlighted points. But i am not suitable to own a cochlear implant due to my hearing nerves. Otherwise, it will damage my brain. The doctors have told my mum. So i will be remaining like this. Yes ikr! But it's not a easy feat .

Still are there any other chances of lip reading those basic words for me to understand and build up a good foundation? :o

First, if you think a CI would be useful get a second opinion and take someone who is not your mom to take notes. Moms are notoriously bad at technology (just a joke but you should see my mom (62) try to send an email) and they generally don't like the idea of their kids having a surgery.
But having a friend with you to take notes and ask questions is excellent. I took a friend to my CI evaluation (my husband was out of town) and she brought up several questions I forgot to ask.

Second, do you know sign language? If you do, request a qualified interpreter. Most countries have laws requiring reasonable accommodations of disabilities.

Third, it is extremely unprofessional for any professor to interrogate you in front of classmates. Discussions pertaining to you, your hearing, your needs, etc should be conducted in private.

Lastly, lip/speech reading is not a magic fix. In English only 40% of sounds are visible on the lips! the rest is invisible.
I would imagine that that percentage is MUCH lower for languages that rely on tonal changes (Like Chinese).

GOTCHA! :giggle: No problem. of course we want more deaf Deaf or HOh who are interested in becoming friends with alll of us anyway which means they will learn ASL anyway. :D

It always hurts my heart a bit when Deaf people who sign but have a CI are considered less "real" as in "not really Deaf".

To be "Deaf" does one have to have been born to a Deaf family who only uses ASL? No.
Can people who were raised orally ever be "Deaf" enough to meet the specifications without being judged as a newcomer? They aren't a newcomer to deafness, just sign language.
Are people who were born with mild hearing loss who lost their hearing over their lives (I'm 27 and have had severe to profound hearing loss for a third of my life) less "Deaf" simply because they heard at some point? Even if they sign?

If you are going to define the realness of a person's deafhood by how long they have been deaf or other audiological terms (profound vs severe, HA user vs non user, native signer vs new signer) you are using the medical model which sees deafness not as a culture but as a disability.
Being Deaf isn't about the presence or absence of sound.

Back