Linux Ubuntu 9.04

joyopit

Reaction score
Just wondering, can i installing in my computer, and it is Free or has to buy this?
Another question, This is can switch Linux and Window XP or Vista??? :hmm:

I want to know before i can installing this.

Thank you.

Ubuntu 9.04 is free and you need have blank CD or DVD to burn it.

Yup, you can and Ubuntu has GRUB included and make sure if you have partition the hard drive so properly.

Yup, plus the cost? Probably less than a dollar worth of CD-R disc that you need to burn the Ubuntu onto.

Beware of Atheros WiFi since they aren't friendly to Ubuntu and I'm recommended you to get Intel WiFi if notebook is capable to replace the WiFi card.

Beware of Atheros WiFi since they aren't friendly to Ubuntu and I'm recommended you to get Intel WiFi if notebook is capable to replace the WiFi card.

Actually, I think that only applies to Hardy heron (8.04) because I was having the WORST time with 8.04 with my Atheros wifi. However, I installed the newest one (9.04) and BAM whammo, I didn't even have to configure it.

Actually, I think that only applies to Hardy heron (8.04) because I was having the WORST time with 8.04 with my Atheros wifi. However, I installed the newest one (9.04) and BAM whammo, I didn't even have to configure it.

It still not work on mine when I installed 9.04 and all WiFi are grayed out.

It's depends on model of Atheros WiFi card that you have and done with upgrade the Linux kernel but still not fix the WiFi card issue.

If you have Barnes and Noble in your area, get Ubuntu magazine or any Linux magazines they have provide free Ubuntu 9.04 CD in magazines. I just found out when I went Barnes and Noble today. Just let you know if you don't like to get blank CD-R and burn image Ubuntu in CD then get Ubuntu or Linux magazine! ;)

Cost is 35 dollars for that book, I just saw it at Barnes and noble about 45 minutes ago.

If you have Barnes and Noble in your area, get Ubuntu magazine or any Linux magazines they have provide free Ubuntu 9.04 CD in magazines. I just found out when I went Barnes and Noble today. Just let you know if you don't like to get blank CD-R and burn image Ubuntu in CD then get Ubuntu or Linux magazine! ;)

Just wondering, can i installing in my computer, and it is Free or has to buy this?
Another question, This is can switch Linux and Window XP or Vista??? :hmm:

I want to know before i can installing this.

Thank you.

Ubuntu is free except if you don't know how to burn it to CD then order which cost is small.

You can dual boot Ubuntu with Windows.

Catty

It all depends on what brand and model of Wifi cards. I bought Rokn USB 2.0 Wifi adapter and Ubuntu happily detect and connect it quickly without configuration. It is good idea to check for Linux compatible Wifi cards.

Sometime some laptop like Acer Aspire 5040 require extra effort to install Linux Acer ACPI and MadWifi driver in order to get Atheros AR5005g wifi card working. It's not the problem with Atheros itself, it's my stupid Acer mobo.

Some HP laptops works with Ubuntu 100% w/ wifi detected and auto configured. And allow you to set Desktop Enchantment for wobbly window, 3D cube ect all that eyecandies (fancy desktop features better than Windoz Vista)

Catty

It all depends on what brand and model of Wifi cards. I bought Rokn USB 2.0 Wifi adapter and Ubuntu happily detect and connect it quickly without configuration. It is good idea to check for Linux compatible Wifi cards.

Sometime some laptop like Acer Aspire 5040 require extra effort to install Linux Acer ACPI and MadWifi driver in order to get Atheros AR5005g wifi card working. It's not the problem with Atheros itself, it's my stupid Acer mobo.

Some HP laptops works with Ubuntu 100% w/ wifi detected and auto configured. And allow you to set Desktop Enchantment for wobbly window, 3D cube ect all that eyecandies (fancy desktop features better than Windoz Vista)

Catty

I used to own ASUS notebook and it has Athernos wireless, I tried Ubuntu and Linux Mint and they are unable to detect WiFi card, just grayed out on menu and tried to update the kernel but still no solution, also I had install madwifi too but won't able to detect it either.

I don't care about fancy desktop or 3D stuff because I'm just care about OS performance and not in taste with Linux.

I got mixed feelings between Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I kinda like Kubuntu better, on other hand if I want install application, Ubuntu seems to be easier than Kubuntu.

Only time will tell, and that PC with Ubuntu installed had Windows XP fried! I gave up the crap of Windows crashes. So far, no crashes with Ubuntu.

I got mixed feelings between Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I kinda like Kubuntu better, on other hand if I want install application, Ubuntu seems to be easier than Kubuntu.

Only time will tell, and that PC with Ubuntu installed had Windows XP fried! I gave up the crap of Windows crashes. So far, no crashes with Ubuntu.

It looks like you got bad experience with Windows but mine is fine, just few apps crash but it's happens in anytime and Ubuntu does have apps crash so randomly, however I got alot of crash on XP and got fed up with XP.

I can't be Linux users because of PC gaming and install Windows games on Linux is very pain ass.

Yeah, understood your needs. For me, I can have Linux because 99% of what I wanted comes in with Linux making it perfect choice for me.

I still have netbook which is windows XP, so far no problems. That is why its no point of trying to fix the computer with corrupted XP.

It looks like you got bad experience with Windows but mine is fine, just few apps crash but it's happens in anytime and Ubuntu does have apps crash so randomly, however I got alot of crash on XP and got fed up with XP.

I can't be Linux users because of PC gaming and install Windows games on Linux is very pain ass.

Yeah, understood your needs. For me, I can have Linux because 99% of what I wanted comes in with Linux making it perfect choice for me.

I still have netbook which is windows XP, so far no problems. That is why its no point of trying to fix the computer with corrupted XP.

Yup, I prefer Mac for everything, games can be installed via bootcamp or Fusion, just only for laptop but Windows for desktop PC.

I'm retired from XP after 8 years of usage after got fed with slow boot up and more corrupted in later, no multi-core support for boot up. Vista got improved alot after SP2 installed but I'm forward to get Windows 7 OEM soon, I hope it meet everything that I need.

Linux is good for daily computer and simple games.

You can install Ubuntu desktop environment on your Kubuntu and bang...it's merged with 2 desktop enviroments. Give it a try. Google it.

I burned it to the CD - how do I open it?

Just slip it into CDrom drive and reboot it. Make sure you tap any keyboard key to 'boot with CD' during booting up. You should see Ubuntu splashscreen and list of selection. Just choose the first of the list, boot to Ubuntu/install. It won't install to drive, it'll load to memory and Ubuntu desktop should show so you can play with it, you'll see icon on desktop 'install'. It's for installing Ubuntu to hard drive.

Catty

Are you sure you burn using ISO CD burner? Just copy the file onto CD won't work. I have tried that and failed miserable only to find out I did it wrong way.

The reason for this is to make the CD as a boot up Disc, failure to do so, won't let it boot up itself at start up.

Once done correctly, the nice thing about Linux CD is that you CAN run it live without installing Linux. The only drawback is that you can't save file or save cookies when surfing the net (On ram, can but once shut down, its gone)

I burned it to the CD - how do I open it?

Back