Linux Router Build

Keiro

Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint you guys in not posting anything of real importance just yet. But this is a placeholder, for right now.

However, here's a few things to consider, if you're going the Linux router way.

1. What are you going to use to build your router?
2. What is the budget that you'll have?
3. Knowledge and/or willingness to learn?
4. Router software you'll be using?

For right now, I'll be building a SFF (Small Form Factor) computer box. Then I'll probably add some stuff to it, such as a small LCD display status screen or something of the sort.

As for router software, I will be using Untangle: Untangle's Website as my router software. I may need to change to a quad-core computer box for the features I'm considering, as described below. This means that it'll take longer to build.

Here's my goal to have the router performing:

1. It has to be able to handle 4 networks. Network 1 is for guest/limited access. This one will have only port 80 and 443 traffic. This means HTTP and HTTPS. Network 2 is for private use, obviously those in the household. There will be some limitations on this network, such as heavy torrenting, heavy downloads, etc. Network 3 is for any sort of servers. This network will receive ALL bandwidth possible, thereby limiting the other Networks in their usage. This means I may need to do Dual WAN/Dual WAN Balancing and WAN Failover, and have 2 ISP connections. Possibly AT&T DSL and Comcast Internet. Comcast Internet is pretty much the one we'll be using for now until I'm able to get DSL. Network 4 is for DMZ.

Not entirely sure Network 4 will be possible, but it's worth a try. I will also be trying to use Corporate-grade configurations. This means I'll probably need to set up quite a few more things along with the router to provide Corporate-grade control... then again, it's probably overkill for me. But I LIKE having control over just about everything. >_>;

There will be a few servers on this router. One of them will be Ubuntu Server Edition. The second will be Windows Home Server... either that, or Windows Server 2003/2008.

Back